Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 1:01:57 PM EDT
What are your thoughts on the Olympic Arms dedicated lowers that use unmodified Glock magazines?

It's supposed to hold the bolt open after the last shot.

They say that they are now shipping complete guns in 9mm and .40...

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I need some pictures and more info, price, before I decide.  With the AWB dieing a miserable death,  I like the idea of using Glock 29 and 33 round mags.  Even some G22 with some +2s would be nice if they fed reliably.  

Will they work without the upper being modified?  Will G20 or G21 mags work in them?  They really need to update their website or come back to ARF.

I could see one in my arsenal if the price and set up was right.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds cool, but I want to build a .40 cal sbr that  takes glock mags. If I go though the trouble to get a lower registered as a sbr I want to be able to change calibers. I would not want to be stuck with a .40 cal. That is why I have been trying to find the mag block they used to make that let you use glock mags, but I have not been able to find them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going the SBR route myself.  But, realistically if I have the gun set up for pistol calibers I won't be switching out to .223 on the fly.

With the Glock lower, you could theoretically shoot any cartridge that takes that size of magzine:

9mm
.45GAP
and possibly .22LR

I figure that 9mm and .40 should just about cover my bases, but I'll register it in all of the above calibers "just in case".

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you know how much the lower and the complete rifles are going to cost? Do you know anywhere to get the old mag blocks they used to make?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=189644

I don't think the price on the stripped lower itself was ever posted.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]

15rds of 10mm from G20 mags would be great !
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#7]
G20 mags will not fit. The lowers are machined for G17/G22 mags, and like sizes. The G21, and G21 models (and their like sizes) will be too large.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That is why I have been trying to find the mag block they used to make that let you use glock mags, but I have not been able to find them.

I know where a couple of the adapters for Glock magazines are.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
G20 mags will not fit. The lowers are machined for G17/G22 mags, and like sizes. The G21, and G21 models (and their like sizes) will be too large.

Just got my first look at a batch of them.  They are tight, fit very well.  The magazine release is like a teeter-totter toi the front of the magazine.  The last round is also a teeter-totter to the front of the magazine to follower area.  So far, they work very well and look great!

.45 in Glock is currently not on the horizan...  If enough orders came in for them, I am sure they would look into doing it.

mark
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't think the price on the stripped lower itself was ever posted.

Based upon what I know, it will likely be at least $75 more than the standard Olympic lower.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
So somewhere around $170 to$ 200 AND it holds the last round open.  That's pretty good if you consider the cost of a sten block or the price of 2 to 4 modified mags.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So somewhere around $170 to$ 200 AND it holds the last round open.  That's pretty good if you consider the cost of a sten block or the price of 2 to 4 modified mags.

Especially if you already have a bunch of Glock magazines and magazine pouches.  Plus your magazine payload will feed both your carbine and your pistol.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds good, need more info.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]
And I was getting ready to buy another 223 lower (#5) in Oct.  Which Industry partner carries Olyarms, or does Oly send stuff directly to your FFL?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Based upon my conversations with Oly, it will be a while before they sell just the lower.

You are correct that when you take into consideration price of blocks, & mags, it is a deal.

I know a lot of them will be going to LEO.  We will be converting some to FA for T&E/demo for PD's.

These are perfect for any law enforcement agency.  They will be a big hit and be in great demand for quite a while.  

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I actually ordered the OLY/Glock 9MM model about 6 weeks ago.  They were finally going to ship it today.  It will be a flat top - That was the reson for my long shipment delay.

BUT - this is really pretty cool - I just had my dealer call them this morning and ask them to hold shipping until next Tuesday - September 14th.

With that delay - they are now going to add an adjustable stock and a standard rreal (not mock)flash hider (not really needed but what the heck) at no extra charge.  They made the changes no problem - were glad to do it!!

I should be receiving my 3 new 31 round glock magazines next week also from the Glock Source.  

It should be a great weekend come September18th!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Based upon my conversations with Oly, it will be a while before they sell just the lower.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sounds good, need more info.

Until Olympic updates their web site, all I can do is suggest that you check out the August '04 SWAT magazine:

"Olympic Arms PCR-9 And PCR-30 Carbines:
It's All About Options
by Denny Hansen
Chambered for 9mm and using standard Glock pistol magazines, the PCR-9 offers an officer or individual to use the same magazine as his sidearm. The PCR-30, using the .30 Carbine cartridge offers better stopping power than a handgun.  "

Or contact Olympic directly:

Don Teague
Sales Rep
[email protected]
(360) 459-7940
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Here is a summary of what little I know from conversations and handling them in the last 2 days.

Olympic Arms has both .40S&W and 9mm out at this time.  This enables law enforcement to use their department issued magazines with the Olympic PCR-9GL/PCR-40GL

.45ACP/10mm would require additional broaching on magwell to accept larger magazines.  Olympic does not have any immediate plans to make these, unless a large enough order were to come their way, the last I heard.

You can use the G18 high cap 9mm magazine or get a high capacity .40S&W from Scherer for $50 or so, Glock does not make a magazine larger than G22 for .40S&W.  I think the Scherer .40S&W magazine is either 19 or 29 rounds.

One can also use the 17/19 magazine for 9mm or 22/23 for .40S&W.  The rifles/uppers do NOT come with a magazine.

The Olympic Arms upper is the slightly different for the Glock conversion from what I can see.  The area where the lower/upper interface that the bolt runs through had to be slightly enlarged. The lower has been modified to do the last round open and Glock magazine release.  The Glock magazines do not require ANY modification to work, like the old Glock system.

Anyone who has the licenses should be able to "hog" out the fire control area and convert the lower to full-auto, like any other AR15 lower.  Of course a semi-auto upper would require a full-auto bolt carrier to work with the hogged out lower.

The Olympic Arms based LRM M-169 integrally suppressed 9mm and .40S&W should work fine with the Glock magazine lower, provided the upper Glock style or has been milled open a little.

I hope this helps explain how the system works.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here is a summary of what little I know from conversations and handling them in the last 2 days.

Olympic Arms has both .40S&W and 9mm out at this time.  This enables law enforcement to use their department issued magazines with the Olympic PCR-9GL/PCR-40GL

.45ACP/10mm would require additional broaching on magwell to accept larger magazines.  Olympic does not have any immediate plans to make these, unless a large enough order were to come their way, the last I heard.

You can use the G18 high cap 9mm magazine or get a high capacity .40S&W from Scherer for $50 or so, Glock does not make a magazine larger than G22 for .40S&W.  I think the Scherer .40S&W magazine is either 19 or 29 rounds.

One can also use the 17/19 magazine for 9mm or 22/23 for .40S&W.  The rifles/uppers do NOT come with a magazine.

The Olympic Arms upper is the slightly different for the Glock conversion from what I can see.  The area where the lower/upper interface that the bolt runs through had to be slightly enlarged. The lower has been modified to do the last round open and Glock magazine release.  The Glock magazines do not require ANY modification to work, like the old Glock system.

Anyone who has the licenses should be able to "hog" out the fire control area and convert the lower to full-auto, like any other AR15 lower.  Of course a semi-auto upper would require a full-auto bolt carrier to work with the hogged out lower.

The Olympic Arms based LRM M-169 integrally suppressed 9mm and .40S&W should work fine with the Glock magazine lower, provided the upper Glock style or has been milled open a little.

I hope this helps explain how the system works.

mark
[email protected]

Then the new lower won't work with the old uppers?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Then the new lower won't work with the old uppers?

That is correct.

The old upper needs to have more area milled out of the area where the magwell/botlt catch area is...  SOmeone with a mill/dremel could no doubt fix this with a little work...  

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
A 7.5" SBR that I could use my 15, 17,19, and 33 round GLOCK mags in would be very interesting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
My understanding is that Oly offers a 6.5" factory upper with a front sight assembly, but they might not want to sell it to you until your lower is registered.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My understanding is that Oly offers a 6.5" factory upper with a front sight assembly, but they might not want to sell it to you until your lower is registered.

Yes, they do and I am looking at a couple!  If it would be for a pistol, no registration is required.  If it is for a SBR, then best not to have it until paperwork is finished.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#25]
The reason oly is not making 45 or 10mm glock lowers is because the forging is not wide enough to take that magazine, to this a billet reciever would be needed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#26]
the Olymipic Arms (Glock magazine) 9MM

The new Oly glock mag 9MM is fantastic.  About 100 rounds throught it now.  Very accurate, very easy to use.  I had to ever so slightly modify ONLY my 32 round glock mags to get the mag release to seat in the cutout/groove.  All my other glock mags fit 100% the 1st try.  (I think the high capacity mags may be a 1st generation etc.)

the stock is kinda cheesy.  But took it apart about 5 times now - easy peasy!  very very fun!

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#27]
fixed the picture.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The old upper needs to have more area milled out of the area where the magwell/botlt catch area is...  SOmeone with a mill/dremel could no doubt fix this with a little work...  

The leg that is pushed up by the Glock magazine follower needs a little extra room while it is pushed up on the last round leg.

One could take an PRE-Glock upper and with a dremel take out some metal and it will work with a Glock magazine lower.  Pretty easy to do.

I just converted a Olympic Glock magazined lower to full auto and took a 9mm LRM-169, milled out the last round leg and viola, it works!  :-)  Same would work with LRMs M-169 in .40S&W.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#29]
You can see a review and pictures of the Olympic rifle using Glock magazines at www.olyarms.com/pcr30_pcr9gl_review.pdf

mark
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top