Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2004 4:11:33 AM EDT
which 9mm magazines have staggered feed?  I HATE loading single-feed mags enough to base my new 9mm project on easy-to-load mags.  I would like to just push the cartridge down like M16 and Tommygun mags.  Thanks for any thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Both UZI and Sten mags have what your looking for......, as any cursory examination of 9mm AR configurations would confirm.

BTW, where heck is VUT?

Mike

added: this might be helpful: www.olyarms.com/usa.html, go here, select "Retail Catalog", then "Pistol Caliber Upper Receivers", page to the bottom and select the "HERE" to the right of the magazines and read what comes up.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Both UZI and Sten mags have what your looking for......, as any cursory examination of 9mm AR configurations would confirm.

If memory still function, after the knock on my head and 8 stitches friday,  Uzi 9mm and Colt 9mm are double feed mags, the Sten is a "single feed", PIA to load without a loader..
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If memory still function, after the knock on my head and 8 stitches friday,  Uzi 9mm and Colt 9mm are double feed mags, the Sten is a "single feed", PIA to load without a loader..

Looks double stacked to me:

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#4]
sten mags are definitely double feed (i own enough to know) and are not that much of a pain to load if the mags are properly cleaned and lubed.  
mp
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks double stacked to me:

www.canuck.freehosting.net/stendia.gif

Mike

This diagram doesn't show crap. Sten mags are double stack, single feed.
I don't know where you guys came up with the double feed nonsense, unless
they made a double feed mag, but I don't think so. Colt & Uzi's are double feed.
I use a Cobray loader to load my Sten mags. It is a pain, but they are a lot cheaper,
& they won't accidently dump like a double feed. Both systems have good & bad points.
I love my 9mm AR. Good Luck Monkey!

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Well excuse the F&%$ outta me, Johnny C., perhaps you should modify your caffine intake...

FWIW, (obviously not much to you or SBR) I placed a link up there that if followed would show that both magazines are single feed, double stacked 9mm magazines.

The diagram shows this (double-stacked issue) clearly, which is why it was posted.

I don't know jack shit about this "double-feed" crap you are the others are referring to and I doubt you do either.

Only one round goes in or comes out of either magazine at any point in the reloading or unloading/firing process. That I'm aware of anyway......

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Double stack double feed allows speed loading. The rounds feed from one mag lip then the other. Only one feed lip holds the rounds in at a time.  Rounds can be pushed in, parallel to the magazine.

Double stack single feed doesn't allow speed loading do to both feed lips are in contact with the round.  Rounds must be slid under the feed lips, perpendicular to the magazine, to load the mag.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Double stack double feed allows speed loading. The rounds feed from one mag lip then the other. Only one feed lip holds the rounds in at a time.  Rounds can be pushed in, parallel to the magazine.

Double stack single feed doesn't allow speed loading do to both feed lips are in contact with the round.  Rounds must be slid under the feed lips, perpendicular to the magazine, to load the mag.

I'm with brother Joe.  I do own Sten mags, and have even loaded them, and used them in (2) M11/9 I have borrowed  for subgun shoot last 3y.... They are definitely single feed, just like the Monkey-man asked/stated in his original post.

I also own a bunch of Uzi mags, for 16+ yr now, those are definitely double stack-double feed, some might call them staggered, like Monkey-man.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:27:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I still am not sure ya fellas know what it is your referring to........, Although it could be me that confused, but if so it's over the way your wording things, first off......

Since none of ya will bother to look:

Sten magazine from the top:

Uzi magazine from the top:

The only difference I see here in these mags is the Uzi follower "centers" the 9mm rounds as the exit the magazine, alot like my Kwik Klip does for my Rem 700. I fully expect this adds to the reliabilty of the Uzi magazine, (never ever had a problem with any of the 30 or so I owned with my Mod A Uzi).

The Sten mag doesn't center the round with it's follower, but instead the exiting round is centered instead by the feed lips.

Hope these pics show, (if not I'll save to my album and re-post)

At first when Monkey referred to "single-feed" and "staggered feed", I though of 1911 mags (single feed) and Glock mags (staggered/double feed), although I know them as single stacked and double stacked magazines......

Again as SBR throws out the single and double feed issues in his post, I'm thinkin he's just got his wording wrong, (nobody in their right mind want a magazine that "double-feeds"), and what he really means is "double stacked", hence my pic showing they are "double stacked" mags.....

mppppp, comes along and again mis-uses the word "double-feed", again I assume an error in verbage, he meant to say "double-stacked", for the same reason as noted above.....

Then JohnnyC jumps in with a slam at my pic and a complete contradiction:

Sten mags are double stack, single feed.
I don't know where you guys came up with the double feed nonsense, unless
they made a double feed mag, but I don't think so. Colt & Uzi's are double feed.

What the heck does this mean, (I think it means he smokes too much pot.....)

And if like me "double-feed" is such a strange term why does he use it twice after calling it nonsense? Once above and then again here.....

It is a pain, but they are a lot cheaper,
& they won't accidently dump like a double feed. Both systems have good & bad points.

???????? What in the heck is he talking about????????, does he even know?????

Then we have joeblack, (funny actor and apparently another odd poster)

Double stack double feed allows speed loading. The rounds feed from one mag lip then the other. Only one feed lip holds the rounds in at a time. Rounds can be pushed in, parallel to the magazine.

This I understand as he's describing the workings of a AR15 or M14 or other semi-auto military rifle magazine, but unfortunately neither of the mags above work this way as they are 9mm not rifle calibers and do not alternate sides, but rest on both feed lips as the pictures above show. One round at a time exits the magazine and IT contacts both feed lips in the process. No alternating as described......, and this statement covers the Sten and Uzi mags:

Double stack single feed doesn't allow speed loading do to both feed lips are in contact with the round. Rounds must be slid under the feed lips, perpendicular to the magazine, to load the mag.

SBR comes back with the same confusing verbage and apparently someone here is either confused or abusing the English language where these mags are concerned.......

Soooooo, perhaps you guys can explain to me how a round comes out of these magazines, WITHOUT contacting both sides (feed-lips) of the magazine, 'cus I am still dang confused about your nomenclature as it refers to these magazines........

FWIW, I am familar with the term "double-feed", but NOT as it is being used in this thread. The "double-feed" I am aware of is a malfunction drill term and a condition one would not want to have as they are real pain to clear (in some extreme cases). It is not something one would want to use as a descriptive term when referring to magazines, IMO.

Have at me,
Mike
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:44:07 AM EDT
[#10]

You pulled this pic from Olympic Arms web site.  It is a double stack single feed magazine. JUST LIKE THE STEN MAGS. Looks like a Madsen / Sten mag to me.

Here is a true UZI mag picture with a Madsen 50 SMG mag.

mr_wilson
Yawn with your commentaries, people are obviously helping you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:45:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks fellas.  I've never seen Uzi magazines but will proceed with plan for 9mm upper based on your description of their double feed.  

Stens are definately single feed, it's one of the reasons my Sten gets a workout so infrequently.  Even when I shoot Stens I rarely load more than 20rds and sometimes 10 as the day wears on.  The TommyGun is double feed and is a pleasure to load and shoot.  Same thing with the M16 mags, just press the ammo in and go.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#12]
[Dennis Mitchel sorta yell]  HEY!!!!  MR-Wilsonnnnn.......

That there Uzi mag you have pictured is indeed a single stack---- single feed mag,, I gots a bunch of those for 45 in my Uzi.....

We all been refering to the 9mm Uzi mag, such as shown in joeblacks' pic there with the Silver Bear sitting side by side.

Hope all is well now.

Forgot, 1911 is single stack-single feed,,,  Glock is mostly double stack in the mag, but sinle feed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry about my "Doesn't show crap" post. It was supposed to be a little
more humorous than it sounds now. I should have added some sort of smiley
face.  My point was as shown in the last pic by Joe Black. Dbl stack/dbl feed, Uzi,
vs. dbl stack/single feed, Sten.
 My "nonsense" comment was in response to "mr_wilson's" comment about Sten mags
being the same as Uzi mags. Again Dbl stack/dbl feed, Uzi,  vs. dbl stack/single feed,
Sten.

Boy this one got twisted in a hurry!

The bottom line is in reference to Monkey-man's original post, you want to go
with a Colt based system for the easy to load mags...

No good deed goes unpunished...

Oi!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top