Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2004 11:34:22 PM EDT
I’ve been thinking this would be cool but I would like something a bit different that what is available right now.

I understand Olympic Arms is probably the way to go for the upper and associated parts but I’m not too happy with the Oly idea of an ejector or the Oly Frankenmag. Don’t really want to use Grease Gun mags either(so non-AR).

I am OK with using the 16 round (really 15) Uzi mags and just cutting a small hole in the side like I do for my 9mm arf. I am fine with using a single drop in block or even two-piece mag blocks that need to be pinned in (like the 9mm arf)

Also, Gemtech had some flat top uppers designed for the pistol caliber carbine (no hole for the gas tube, no shell deflector and no forward assist) don’t know if they still have any of those available, but something like that would be great. An arf lower with pined in mag blocks and extractor in the rear block. 11-inch barrel.

What do you guys think?

Would 45ACP go through the feed ramp of a pined in mag block?

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't recall, but something similar has been done.  Person used an Oly 10mm upper, Uzi 41 mags, and a single peice 9mm block, modified.  Oly ejector remained in use, but the mag adapter was like the "9mm".

So, in theory, the 45 upper could be done.  It will feed....

There isn't ANY options for a 45 upper.  Oly is the ONLY commercial manufacuter.  Your alternative would be a custom set up.......and that would be in a Colt style ....

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#2]
an old RASE conversion would work if you can find one, used modified grease gun mags though. it worked with the Oly style upper.

45 will feed thru a 9mm feed ramp as the feed ramp on my .45 set up came from a 9mm mag block.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the feed ramp on my .45 set up came from a 9mm mag block.

Do you have any pics of that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
My 2 piece .45 used a 9mm feedramp as well.   Hopefully it will again....   I think I've proven however that you will need a HEAVY buffer to ensure your rifle doesnt self destruct.   I've heard it mentioned that even 9mm will beat up an aluminum receiver if you stay with a standard buffer.    Btw, Uzi 16 shot mags are a booger to use.  Very hard to get #16 in there.   I'm almost thinking 30 round mags are too much though.... very heavy.   If you could make thompson 20's work that would be worth investigating.

The Uzi mag would be better if the cost were lower AND by using a 2pc mag block you could notch the mag and use the stock mag release without needing attatchments on the mag itself.   I have some aluminum blocks that are just the right size, after the ban if I can find a cheap Uzi mag I might try that myself so I can use a collapseable stock.  I'll also fiddle with the tommy 20's and see what I can work out, if the feed system is compatible.... ahh the experimenting continues...  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:09:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#6]
SeanC: How does that eject spent cases?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Thru the ejection port of course Sorry couldn't help myself.  It's an oly upper and the ejector is in the upper receiver on olympic arms pistol caliber uppers.  On the colts it's on the mag block.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone taken a look at the Lafrance .45 acp arf?  It seemed like it was a nice setup, used thompson mags.  Unfortunately Lafrance will only sell to LEO with a letter so I was unable to obtain one when they came out.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/171689.jpg

So is that a modified colt block like with Corvus's system?  What type of mags does it take?  

I've been waiting for someone to make me a modified colt block.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:20:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Never mind.  I see that it's a cav arms lower and I saw your old post on how that's a rare prototype mag block.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, if I could find a source for just the feed ramp part the rest would be a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Never mind.  I see that it's a cav arms lower and I saw your old post on how that's a rare prototype mag block.

It's not difficult to build the blocks yourself and there IS a source for feedramps.  ;)  To build the block only takes a piece of aluminum stock and the magazines you intend to use.   I built a couple sets using my 4" angle grinder and a vise.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Well don't keep me in suspense!!  Any contact info for the source?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Check at www.shadetreearmory.com  I emailed him awhile back and he said he would sell feedramps for $25.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#15]
ah thanks.  For $25 I'll get one see if it's any good, if not I'll take the ramp part of mine to a machine shop and see how much it will cost.

http://webpages.charter.net/seanspc/ramp3.jpg

That's a pic of the one in mine.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#16]
It's identical to the colt 9mm block feedramp I have.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top