Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2004 6:14:12 AM EDT
   I need a magwell adapter block for an Oly 9mm upper.  Tried to call Socom because they were the only ones I knew of and the number I got was a car dealership.  Looked around and found kurts kustom magwell adapters.  Any feedback on the two?  or are there any other choices for using unmodified sten mags.   Thanks,
Damian
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you ask for Ernie Wrenn or Todd?    Socom has some legal issues currently, but you should be able to get the part.

I think the address on the shipping label I got a while back was indeed a car place.

Somebody posted a blueprint to a block here a while ago, I have it on paper, need to find it, and could fax if needed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Figure that I will just buy one since I don't have access to a machine shop.  Do you like Ernie's version?  I am seriously looking at Kurt's version because it doesn't stick down as much and seems make a cleaner looking firearm.  You know, looks like it belongs there.  What do you think of that one?  Here is the Linkie.........

www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/386988.htm
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Socom version and Im very happy with it,I did cut down the mag release lever on mine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input.  Is you Socom block black or natural Al like in the picture?  I like the idea but just looks funny with big silver block hanging down from black gun.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I originally cut the mag release on my Socom short also. But, I found I have the tendency to release the lever too soon and the lever catches the square notch at the top of the mag (I guess this is the actual mag catch notch for the Sten ?)

So I cut the Socom block short and it works great. It’s about the same size as the KKF block now. I could have saved myself some time and got the KKF block instead. But it was fun.

BTW, my Socom block worked 100% from the factory. I just never really liked the block sticking out of the lower. Just personal preference.

Before:
http://img44.exs.cx/img44/3116/image0002.jpg

After:
http://img44.exs.cx/img44/1605/image90.jpg

My mag release is actually black. Just glare from the flash.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the looks of your "cutoff" SOCOM block on your Oly 9mm.  I am thinking of doing the same to mine.  Do you have any suggestions on how to make clean cuts?  Take it to a machine shop?

Any details on how you did it would be great.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like the looks of your "cutoff" SOCOM block on your Oly 9mm.  I am thinking of doing the same to mine.  Do you have any suggestions on how to make clean cuts?  Take it to a machine shop?

Any details on how you did it would be great.

Thanks.

You don’t really need to take it to a machine shop. All I used was a hack saw and a few files. I simply cut the top of the Socom block off and notched the block for the mag catch. I didn’t touch the lower part of the block at all. This is what I did:

1) With the Socom block and mag inserted, measured the distance from the top of the lower receiver to the top of the sten mag.

2) Release the Socom block and slide the block upward until the mag release (on the Socom block) fully engages the top notch on the back of the mag.

3) Adjust the position of the mag and block until the mag is at the distance measured in step #1.

4) With a pencil or scribe mark the Socom block where the top of the lower receiver hits on the block. This is where the block will be cut off at (the block and top of the lower receiver will be flush once cut).

5) Cut the top of the Socom block off at the mark made in step # 4.

6) Now its time to notch the Socom block. So, remove the mag catch and spring from the lower reciever.

7) Insert the mag and Socom block and position them until the mag release (on the Socom block) is engaged with the top notch on the back of the mag and the mag is at the distance measured in step #1. (The top of the Socom block should be flush with the top of the lower receiver.)

8) At this point the Socom block can be marked where the mag catch notch needs to be cut (through the mag release hole on the lower receiver.)

I used a small file set to notch the Socom Block. I filed and fitted several times until the block locked in tight. I used files to smooth every thing out and then used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to refinish.

I also cut 3-4 threads off the lower receiver’s mag catch so the mag release button would go flush with the lower receiver. This way, if I accidentally try to push the mag release button, the Socom block will not fall out. But I can still release the block with a bullet tip, pen etc. if I need.

I hope this has been helpful.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top