Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 9:43:40 PM EDT
I've been reading up enough to confidently get started on a 9mm carbine project but have one quick question about the functionality of a flash suppressor on a carbine barrel...

By the time a 9mm round get down a 16" barrel, is there any powder still burning to get a flash?  I can understand how an 9mm A2 FS could provide some compensation, but does it help with the flash signature?  Shooting my Glock 17 in low light does not produce excessive flash, and it seems that adding 10+ inches of barrel would completely hide the flash.

I'm leaning toward getting one anyways to protect the crown, but I might get a three lug adapter and was concerned about flash signature.

Thanks guys!
-Randy
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Its tits on a boar, really.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Its tits on a boar, really.

Thanks, that's what I figured but had no experience. -Randy
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#3]
In low level light you will see more flash from the breech than you will coming from the muzzle.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't bushmaster or someone sell one of the fake flash hiders. The one that slips over a standard barrel and makes it look like a 11.5 inch barrel when it is really 16"

If not, why not go with a fake silencer?

I've always been told that a longer barrel equals increased velocity and accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been thinking of having my 16 inch barrel cut down and one of those 5 1/2 flash hiders put on.  At what length does the barrel stop producing additional velocity?  Does that 5 1/2 inches add significantly?  I just figured one of those long flash hiders would add a nice touch.

I have heard about 10 inches.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top