Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 4:48:15 AM EDT
Okay, so I LOVE!!!!! my 45 ACP upper.  Fun to shoot, I can bump fire it from the shoulder its just great!
Bumfire thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=197720

But I am stuck with this darn 10 round magazine.  Okay, the ban ends (cross fingers) in 28 days 15 hours.  Do you think Olyimpic will have 16 rounders or bigger available right away?  Still charge $65?

Are 9mm Uzi mags and 45 Uzi mags the same dimentions except for feed lips??  If so, what about getting a big 30+ round 9mm mags for $20, cutting the top off, cutting the bottom off my 10 rounder and welding the suckers togeather...then fashioning a spring???  After the ban when doing that would be legal of course.
If 9mm  mags are not the same dimentions, then what about getting a 16 round 45 Uzi mag and cutting and welding??

Anyone try spreading the feed lips of the Olympic Arms 9mm 30 round Sten Mags and shoving 45 in them??

[Miracle Max & Wife] Ya think it'll work?....It would take a miracle...[/Miracle Max & Wife]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
As an Uzi owner, I can tell you that the external dimensions of the mags are identical, as they both share the Uzi' magwell, except for the barrel and bolt swap also with the Uzi......

The 41/45 mags are single stack and  made of a very thin steel, look closelly and you should be able to see where IMI has surface grond the front and rear of the mag body.  The thin material used allows for the 1.270" max OAL of the 45acp....

The 9mm mags are thicker steel, are double stack, and the internal dimension will only allow for a 1.169" max OAL of the 9x19.

About the only way to get hi-cap mags for the OLY is to get the IMI 16 round mags, kinda hard to find anymore and cost you $50+ when you do, doubt IMI is going to anything about it.

Only option is the Cav-Arm lower, M3 mags (hold 30), and some machine work to make a set of blocks to index the M3 mag in the well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I concur with the last post, THE way to go is the Cav Mk2 with M3 mags.  If that isnt an option for you there's a guy advertising Uzi .45acp mags on the EE you could add the block after the expiration.   It'll be awhile before you find em any cheaper, even after the ban.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I concur with the last post, THE way to go is the Cav Mk2 with M3 mags.  If that isnt an option for you there's a guy advertising Uzi .45acp mags on the EE you could add the block after the expiration.   It'll be awhile before you find em any cheaper, even after the ban.

Why do you have to wait to add the block?  Couldn't you use the block with the uzi mag but just never weld them together?  How much are the .45 blocks going for?  Aren't there .45acp IMI mags with a capacity of more then 16rnds?
-James
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If you could figure out how to non permanently attatch the block so that it could be used in the original firearm I suppose it would be legal.   I just dont see how you'd do it without welding it.  16 shots is all for the uzi.   You'll only likely get 15 in though.   I could never stuff #16 in either of mine.   I hope someone comes out with an aluminum lower that'll work with the M3 mags.   I love the Cav but I'd like to make an SBR and I cant see using a fixed stock with the SBR.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:07:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you could figure out how to non permanently attatch the block so that it could be used in the original firearm I suppose it would be legal.   I just dont see how you'd do it without welding it.  16 shots is all for the uzi.   You'll only likely get 15 in though.   I could never stuff #16 in either of mine.   I hope someone comes out with an aluminum lower that'll work with the M3 mags.   I love the Cav but I'd like to make an SBR and I cant see using a fixed stock with the SBR.  

Thats my issue.  In 26 days 16 hours, I am going to put a colapsible stoock on this gun.  The Cav looks fine for some rifles.  But its not what I want for this one.

30 round Thompson mags for $19.95 on Cheaperthandirt.  Its only $20 to get one and experiment.  So I'll see what I can do.  If its sucessfull I'll let you all know.  I'll be perfectly happy with 16's after the ban.  But I just want one 30 for bumping.  Good thing about metal is you can shape it like you want.

Where can I get just the blocks???
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah, me too.  I really want to try Corvus's system though(Corvus's system).  He needs to just start grinding the blocks down and sell them to us!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#7]
You can attach the tube the same as OLY does, nothing has changed with the mag,  remove the tube, and the mag stilll functions as intended in the firearm it was made for.  Look at all the "tubed" Sten mags...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
30 round Thompson mags for $19.95 on Cheaperthandirt.  Its only $20 to get one and experiment.  So I'll see what I can do.  If its sucessfull I'll let you all know.  I'll be perfectly happy with 16's after the ban.  But I just want one 30 for bumping.  Good thing about metal is you can shape it like you want.

Gloftoe's gonna put something together using Thompson mags and an RRA lower (I think).  He's just gotta get off his ass and set up his mill instead of hosting "Rape TexRdNec" parties.

Where can I get just the blocks???

Advertise on Tom Bower's board for the old-style Colt two-piece blocks.  There are tons out there, now that everyone is switching to the one-piece design.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone over at FAL Files has tommy magazines for ~ $15 each.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard heresay that the thompson mags are double column and the Oly system is for single column mags so there may be a feed issue with those mags.   I hope not though as it's a good low cost option.   I assume the mags are thinner than M3 mags?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Thompson SMG mags are double stack-double feed, and too wide for the AR' magwell.  The M3 mags are double column to a degree, and single feed, still too wide for AR' magwell.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the thompson mags as wide as the M3 mags?  My local AR shop said the aluminum lower would be machined too thin to be useable with M3 mags.   The Cav was the only available solution, and a good one at that.   Of course it would be better with a collapseable stock.    Also will the double feed mags even work with the Oly upper or would a new upper have to be designed to take advantage of those mags?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thompson SMG mags are double stack-double feed, and too wide for the AR' magwell.  The M3 mags are double column to a degree, and single feed, still too wide for AR' magwell.

What if I cut and weld the Thompson mag to the bottom of my Uzi mag?  None of the Thompson would enter the AR magwell.  I'd just be giving the Uzi mag a +30 extention.

Problem would be welding the different sizes  together and making a spring.   When the ban ends I'll get some 16's and then just futz around with trying to get this 10 rounder to hold more thrusts per squeeze.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've heard heresay that the thompson mags are double column and the Oly system is for single column mags so there may be a feed issue with those mags.   I hope not though as it's a good low cost option.

You've heard correctly.  Thompson mags are double-column double-feed and M3 mags are double-column single-feed.

Gloftoe said that Kurt's Kustom Firearms is making him a bolt that will feed the Thompson mags properly, and that Marty ter Weeme is making him a .45ACP barrel.

I assume the mags are thinner than M3 mags?

Yes, they are, mainly because M3 mags have that "foreskin" on them.  Another possible yet labor-intensive option--IF the Sunset happens--would be to mill the foreskin off the M3 mags.  In doing that, you'll end up with a mag that can fit up into an AR lower if you hogg out the receiver like I did.  That way, you can use existing Oly system uppers.

Any way you slice it, even if the Sunset happens, a high-capacity (like over 20 rounds) .45ACP AR with a conventional lower receiver is a custom affair.    Maybe that will change.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Gloftoe said that Kurt's Kustom Firearms is making him a bolt that will feed the Thompson mags properly, and that Marty ter Weeme is making him a .45ACP barrel

We can let Gloftoe be the guinea pig.  And if it works out...  Maybe a group buy is in order???  All that’s left is someone to machine the lower receiver, right?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top