Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2004 4:30:12 PM EDT
Which is the best .22LR upper to get as far as reliability, build quality and magazine price/availability?

DPMS, seems to have good reviews.

KKF, has some custom options, but uses a Ciener kit. Reliable?

CZ V22, Definately priced right. Does it work OK?

How about magazines? Mags can make or break an otherwise good semi-auto.

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
KKF and DPMS are both first rate, the CZ is a step down I think
Either of the first two should outlast your interest in firearms and maybe your kids' as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been researching this and I'm planning to buy a DPMS as soon as Cheaperthandirt has them in stock at the advertised $399 price. Looks like the best combination of quality and value. I'm hoping it will run with the M261 magazines, of which I already have several.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Also take a look at the uppers made by Rick Kuehl.  I have two that run super.  He uses a modified Ciener kit, so 30 rnd mags are readily available (but expensive at ~$110 each).  10 round mags cost ~$25.  These uppers can be had with full auto capability if you ever get there.  Also, he recesses the barrel in the receiver so a 16" barrel looks more like the 14.5" - that if you go for the M4 look alike.  The only problem I've had with the Ciener is with some used mags I bought that needed the feed lips adjusted.  It won't work if these are bent.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I second the Kuehl upper.  You may want to consider it also.  Here's a pic of it.

Dan

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies folks!

I forgot all about Kuehl Precision.

Boy, that is a good price on the DPMS unit at CTD. That's cheaper than Brownells with an FFL/C&R discount. No wonder they are sold out.

That's a beautiful 22LR M4, Dan0341!

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't get KKF's stuff over here in the UK, but had a look at the CZ and DPMS M4. CZ is ok, but looks like any other .22 rifle (side cocking bolt). It will use Ciener 30 round mags though.

Went with a pre-ban DPMS M4 carbine in the end, real quality and its the 'real deal' M4. 10 round mags are a bummer, but Southern Gun Co here in UK will be selling a 25 round mag shortly.

It's stuck in customs at Chicago Intl at the moment waiting for Feb export papers,(come on guys it's been 3 weeks )

Will post a better review with pics when i get my hands on it.

Andy
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't go wrong with Kuehl. I've got one listed on the equipment exchange for a very resonable price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Kuehl rules!   30rd mags are expensive, but after the AWB sunset the prices should drop back down again.  His work is great, he tests for fit and function - even the magazines.  I had him make me a semiauto M4gery and a full auto SD upper.  Luckily I had a bunch of 30rd mags I got before the ban, and spare suppressor lying around.  I'm a happy camper.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have a link for Keuhl uppers?  TIA!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone have a link for Keuhl uppers?  TIA!

www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
CZ is a P.O.S. --- I had to polish the bolt face, the feed ramp, and the chamber to get it to work right. It only likes Mini-Mags and jams-up or doesn't eject with any other kind of ammo. Firing pin broke and they had to take one out of a new one because they don't have any spare parts. Go for a DPMS at least.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I chose the Kuehl in part because only the finest materals are used and you are getting a personal hand built upper. FN uppers and highest grade match barrels with match tolerences are employed. Not a mass produced upper but a truly hand made upper.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've been researching this and I'm planning to buy a DPMS as soon as Cheaperthandirt has them in stock at the advertised $399 price. Looks like the best combination of quality and value. I'm hoping it will run with the M261 magazines, of which I already have several.

Brownell's carries these...they have the flat top bull barrel one  for $349 dealer price...get that C&R TODAY!!  They also carry M4 and CMP versions, but they cost more.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top