Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 11:01:09 PM EDT
I see that you can have 2 different styles, colt or olympic. My question is are the uppers the same on the RRA,DPMS,OLY etc.will they work with different mag blocks? I have A DPMS low rise flat top with heavy barrel and would like to get A 9mm upper in the same config, but I don't know what mag block to get. I would like to use the sten mags because of price but the uzi mags are not bad either. I like the look of the blocks that are recessed into the stock magwell unlike the hytech one. If anyone could give me a phone# of who carries them that would be great. My local gun store carries the olympic type with the welded up mags in 9,40, and45 but they just look so cheaply made.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Olympic guns have the ejector built into the upper (a pin across the upper holds a "spring like" ejector).  Colt pattern guns have a fixed ejector that is usually part of the mag block.  You can get a mag block from Model One that comes with a fixed ejector, and allows use of unmodified Sten mags.  If necessary you can remove the fixed ejector and use with an Olympic ejector upper.

We use Oly rifles as the base for ours, exclusively.  But, the adapter we sell also comes with an ejector for people that wish to use a Colt pattern bolt/upper.

Check out [url]www.tommy15.com[/url] for a video of a Tommy16 dumping a full 72 round drum... mucho fun!  

[img]http://www.tommy15.com/2%20adj%20contrast%20mel%20tommy%20Mvc-011f.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
AZ gunner, you will get ALOT of different answers here....

I went with a RRA setup.
I used a Garrison BLOCK.
It drops in from the top.
ONLY drawback is that you must use a 9mm bolt hold open if you intend to use COLT style mags instead of UZI mags, that is if you want the bolt open feature.
That is the ONLY drawback.

If you want a "factory" looking gun then you MUST use a COLT style setup and a DROP-IN block.

My complete setup as I have it built

RRA flat top upper, POSTBAN 16 inch CAR setup (no flash on a 9mm AR anyway)
RRA lower
M16 hammer ground to SEMI
Ramped RRA bolt(Ramped By JOEBLACK)
RRA CAR stock (pinned for legal;-))
Garrison Mag Block.
Star of David Uzi Mags (converted by JOEBLACK)

If you are SEROUS about getting a RUNNING 9mm setup then I would go the same route I went.
Yeah you pay a little more for a RAMPED bolt, but I have had ZERO FTF or FTE probs and I am at over 500 rounds now(this is since my hammer issue).
No matter what get a DPMS hammer (the early style)

I would read up on the stickys at the top of this forum. You will get LOTS of info.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That's alot of needed info. Thanks guys for all the help. I think the whole ejector issue is what I didn't understand. Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you need to ramp the bolt if using a 9mm hammer?  If so, why don't they ramp it at the factory?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
No... you don't need to ramp the bolt if you use a 9mm hammer.

You got to ask yourself a couple questions.

How much ya gonna shoot your weapon
How long you intend to keep you weapon

If you gonna shoot the crap out of it and keep it a long time, then you NEED to get the bolt RAMPED.

Ramping saves wear and tear on the lower components.  
Now, you gonna ask again, why doesn't the factory do it? SIMPLE....for the average user, a standard 9mm AR will last a lifetime.
For a GUN NUT, like me and others on here(not to mention any other names....) a std AR will wear out the hammer pins and/or wollow out the pin holes in the lower....

It is up to you.......
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
How many rounds we talking about?  I'd be surprised if I would shoot 1,000 rounds a year through it.  Who does ramping work, what does it cost, how long is turn around?  Does ramping the bolt lead to the bolt wearing out sooner?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
the guy Joe Black on here does the ramping. it runs about $80 for him to do it and i think the turnaround was less than 7 days
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
$80 to solve a problem that could have been addressed at time of manufacture... that just burns my britches.

So, any answer out of how many rounds you need to be shooting to make this mod necessary?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Hiram,....I think I may be one of those "gunnuts" RunR is talking about....My 9mm SBR ate around 800 rounds TODAY ALONE![lol]
[url]http://www.4matman.com/gun_vids/Movie0.wmv[/url]  Anyway I think you'll find that ramping is worth your while...A side bonus I've found with ramping is the there is more clearence for outofspec/tweeked feed lips on mags...There is little room in there on the standard bolt setup and one bent lip will drag on the bolt slowing it down and causing headaches....If you deside to skip the ramping then Id recommend a set of Colt "subgun" hammer and trigger pins or "antiwalk" pins to keep some of the stress off the lower and keep the pins from snapping..............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hiram,....I think I may be one of those "gunnuts" RunR is talking about....My 9mm SBR ate around 800 rounds TODAY ALONE![lol]
[url]http://www.4matman.com/gun_vids/Movie0.wmv[/url]  Anyway I think you'll find that ramping is worth your while...A side bonus I've found with ramping is the there is more clearence for outofspec/tweeked feed lips on mags...There is little room in there on the standard bolt setup and one bent lip will drag on the bolt slowing it down and causing headaches....If you deside to skip the ramping then Id recommend a set of Colt "subgun" hammer and trigger pins or "antiwalk" pins to keep some of the stress off the lower and keep the pins from snapping..............UNDERDOG
View Quote
Damn thats loud.  I think you need a Gemtech Talon SD upper on that bad boy
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn thats loud.  I think you need a Gemtech Talon SD upper on that bad boy
View Quote

Yep I think so too,...To bad it's postban[:(]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top