Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2003 6:04:56 PM EDT
I have a Colt Competition Match HBAR with the sear block and I have just purchased a Colt preban 9MM complete upper with the semi auto carrier, can I use this without removing the sear block or should I just use my Colt green label lower without the sear block? Thanks John
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If memory works correct, the upper may not close or bolt operate on the "blocked" lower. All you can do is attach the front at the pivot pin. and attepmt to close the upper.

You will have no problem with the "[green][size=2]GREEN[/size=2][/green]" label, other than the "large" pivot hole on the lower and hopefully your 9mm upper is a "large" hole upper also, or else you will need to get an adapter pin to assemble the rifle.

Also to use the 9mm upper on the "[GREEN]GREEN[/green]" label, you will need to obtain a hammer that looks like this --
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p7a21929478de21856da2653f457a76fc/fc681fb2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe the advise above is correct as I have a pre-ban Colt Match HBAR that the previous owner had filed the top of the sear block down flat (about flat to top of lower receiver) and he said he did this for the lower to work with a 9mm Bolt.  I have used this lower with the filed down block with my 9mm and Ciener conversions and it works fine.

In the past, and I don't have it now, I did have another that didn't have a filed down sear block and that lower would not close on a M-16 carrier which is a VERY GOOD indication that it will not close on a 9mm Bolt.  Back then, I didn't have a 9mm Bolt so I can't say for sure!

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If memory works correct, the upper may not close or bolt operate on the "blocked" lower. All you can do is attach the front at the pivot pin. and attepmt to close the upper.

You will have no problem with the "[green][size=2]GREEN[/size=2][/green]" label, other than the "large" pivot hole on the lower and hopefully your 9mm upper is a "large" hole upper also, or else you will need to get an adapter pin to assemble the rifle.

Also to use the 9mm upper on the "[GREEN]GREEN[/green]" label, you will need to obtain a hammer that looks like this --
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p7a21929478de21856da2653f457a76fc/fc681fb2.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Thanks for the good info. I'll just use the Green label lower instead of messing with the sear block. Also where do I get one of those hammers, thanks John
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I've milled out the part of the bolt that would hit the sear block for a few people. Easy fix.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#5]
If it were me, I'd just file/dremel/mill off the top section of the sear block.  This is (apparently) totally legal to do, and this way you don't modify your (somewhat) valuable bolt (If you ever want to use it with a RDIAS or RR lower, you won't be able to anymore), and just modify the worthless part of the problem (the POS sear block).
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If it were me, I'd just file/dremel/mill off the top section of the sear block.  This is (apparently) totally legal to do, and this way you don't modify your (somewhat) valuable bolt (If you ever want to use it with a RDIAS or RR lower, you won't be able to anymore), and just modify the worthless part of the problem (the POS sear block).
View Quote

If you ever sell the Colt with the block hacked up, people tend to shy away....just cause they don't know you don't have to have it....
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top