Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 4:06:12 AM EDT
I just bought a pre ban colt 9mm.  My problem is the chrome lining in the barrel next to the breech is worn maybe 1/4 of an inch.  I know it is not good but yet how bad is it?? Can it be fixed.  Any help would be great.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a pic of a Colt 10.5" SMG barrel.  Never fired.

If what you are seeing is a discoloration (stain) in the chrome or the step from the chamber reamer and the chrome flashing past the edge, I think you are worrying about nothing.  If you see peeling, then you have a issue.

Chrome plating is performed in a very caustic environment, acid and electrical current. The acid is dark and can leave dark film marks (stains) sometimes if not washed enough. Oiling chrome after plating is common and that oil can dry and stain. No big deal.  In chrome plating, the chrome builds up faster on edges rather than surfaces.  Plating thickness of only .002" can result in large burrs growing / protruding from the edges.  These edges have to be ground or polished away. Maybe you see de burring or polishing marks?

The gun runs? If so, Id rather worry about the rifling chrome rather than the chamber.....  The barrel should last you and your kids lifetimes........

Do you have a close up pic?

[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/9mmchrome.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
no it were the rifling starts inside the barrel, you have the slot for the bullet and then were the rifling starts that is were the chrome is worn

thanks for reply

Jet
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top