Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 3:22:32 PM EDT
I'm looking for an inexpensive scope in 3x-4x magnification range for my DPMS .22LR rifle, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with off-brand optics, such as  NcStar. The rifle is just for plinking and fun, so no life critical application will be required, as long as it works "as advertised". Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the inexpensive 3-9x40's. Usually can be had for $40. Just got a Simmons 8 Point for $39.95 + tax, went back for another, they was all gone, he had 12 when I got mine. My 10-22 has a Tasco  3-9x40, the 40's gather a whole lot more light/usable sight picture than the 32's.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a tasco 3x9 .22lr scope for $15 or so at Meijer.  So far it has stood up to getting banged around a bit on my Ruger 10/22 and hasn't slipped on zero or anything. I don't even remove it when field stripping and cleaning, just put the lens caps on and I am careful.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#3]
i have shot a few NcStar scopes. the ones i shot had alot of distortion, except right in the middle.  i tried all the adjustments, and didn't get much better.  for inexpensive 4x scopes i have had good luck with BSA fixed 4x 1" tube from WalMart.  i think i paid $24.96.  if you want an inexpensive scope rather than a cheap scope go with BSA and stay away from NcStar.  Tasco also makes identical scopes to BSA for similar prices.  i think they may be made at the same place.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Simmons 22 Mag compact scope on my 22 rimfire upper.  It works well and seems to be a lot of scope for the money.  Here's a pic of it mounted on my rifle:

[img]http://home.ix.netcom.com/~brownhen/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/m16-22wmags.jpg[/img]

This scope can be found for $45.00.  Click on the link for more info. [url=http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/catalog/product_4054_Simmons_4x28mm_Black_Matte_22_Mag_Rimfire_Mini_Scope.html]Simmons Rimfire Scope[/url]

Dan
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you guys for all your responses, keep them coming.
Dan0341,
What type of mount is that in your picture? I also have flat top upper, and all these "cheap" scopes come with (what looks like) either carry handle mounts or mounting rings. I have a Trijicon TA51 adapter, so I'm hoping to find something that will work with it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The mount (riser) is available from a number of places, and varying prices.  Seeing you are in Texas, CDNN would be the closest/inexpensive for you (maybe $15 for the riser).... TAPCO also has a riser for about same price.  Then you can simply use short WEAVER style rings to mount your scope to the riser/rail (look closely at Dans' pic).

I went to ADCO, he is 2 hr north of me, and bought the RRA riser, so my dot would be on a useable eye level. I paid approx $40 shipped, but he raised the price on the part shortly after I got mine, so now it is $41 now, add shipping.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Aleko, the scope mount is one of those $15.00 mounts. It's cheap, but I don't think you need an expensive one on a rimfire rifle.  I bought it from a vendor on e-bay, but I don't see them for sale now.  It shouldn't be difficult to find from a company that carries AR15 accessories.  I'm not sure if it'll fit your Trijicon TA51 adapter.  

The rings that come with the Simmons scope will not fit this mount because they are specific for a rimfire rifle.  You can buy inexpensive replacement rings from just about anywhere.  

Dan
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Look on Ebay for the scope riser, they go for as low as $11-12.  I got mine at a local gunshop for $11, "B.A.M." brand, whatever that means, and it works just fine.  ARMS and RRA want your firstborn for who knows what reason, not worth the cost for a cheap .22lr setup IMHO!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I found some high Tasco rings at a gun show for about $8.  A little bit low (about 1/8" lower than the Armalite one-piece mount I replaced them with), but workable for a 4x.  Not so good on the 16x though.  No problems with them, even on a .223 upper.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top