Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2003 6:25:58 AM EDT
I’m looking to get a dedicated .22 upper, A3 receiver, 14.5” or 16” M4 profile barrel with the standard front sight assembly.

I’m going to put my spares on it, RAS/GG&G MAD/Reflex, and use it for inexpensive and frequent(!) practice.

DPMS has this upper (16”) for $489 + $15 to attach a brake (which I’ll provide - $30), then a 10% active-duty military discount.  Total:  $486.
CMMG sells this same DPMS upper for $489 + $20-30 for the brake itself (no install cost).  They didn’t respond to my question about the discount, so I’m guessing that they don’t offer it.  Total:  $509.

Kuehl Precision has this upper (14.5”) with a Wilson muzzle brake, for $465  + $140 for the Ceiner kit.  Total:  $600.

Kurt (Kurts Kustom Firearms) has this upper (14.5”) for $475 + $85 (A3 Tac Brake) + $140 for the Ceiner kit.  Total:  $690.

DPMS has the price advantage, but is there something with the other “brands” that would lean you to buy them?

Any advantage(s) that the Ceiner kit has over the DPMS, or vice versa?

Any opinions, info, experience, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! …. Chris
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Fulton armory M4A2 upper on an RRA lower....Quality is good,Its accurate,And fun!...Think the M4A3 lists for 490-500$ish complete,But you can prob find it cheaper..
[img]HTTP://users.adelphia.net/~masine/22lr1.bmp[/img]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
[b]underdog75[/b] - Thanks for the info!

I saw your range report, but didn't think about it as I was making up the list, so thanks .... Chris
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#3]
what about the CZ upper and I believe there is one other one out there (??)
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what about the CZ upper and I believe there is one other one out there (??)
View Quote

I'm familiar with the CZ upper, but I don't know if it's made in the configuration that I'm looking for.

I'm in the military, and would like an upper that's similar to what is issued, plus I've got the parts on hand to put on it (RAS/MAD/Reflex).

I know the Ceiner system has been around for a long time, and DPMS too, which makes me think that I'll always have service support available if I need it.

Thanks for the reply .... Chris
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I just went through what you are going through.  I chose to have an existing upper assembly lined with a .220, 1 in 16" twist barrel liner for use with a ceiner kit that I already have.  Work is being done by [url]American-manufacture.com[/url] If you can find a good deal on an upper or a shot out barrel of the profile that you want this is a good option.  In your case the catch could end up being a chrome lined barrel since they are typically too difficult to bore out.  Call Mike at American and ask him.  He's a busy man but I should have the upper this weekend and tested shortly after that. I'll post results within two weeks.
Semper Fi
Pinto
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My FFL/SOT had his Chamber/Barrel removed from the Ciener kit and had a barrel made that would except the Ciener kit's bolt rails.  Very nice set up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Price advantage would go to DPMS.  But the only .22LR upper I could find on DPMS's site has FF handguard and no iron sights.  I've seen several posts on here talking about a .22 DPMS M4, so apparently it's available but not listed on the site?  If you have to turn a 16" bull barrel down and add the front sight you've lost the price advantage.

The advantage of one using the Ciener kit is that 30-round mags are available (albeit at outrageous prices).  

Note that KKF still uses the chamber adapter while the Kuehl & DPMS chamber directly into the barrel, which should be more accurate.  Seems the KKFs are pretty accurate anyway though, probably good enough for your use.

If you go with one of the Ciener-based uppers you can get KKF to weld on mag bodies to make the .22 mags feel just like your USGI .223 mags if that's important to you for your practice.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Price advantage would go to DPMS.  But the only .22LR upper I could find on DPMS's site has FF handguard and no iron sights.  I've seen several posts on here talking about a .22 DPMS M4, so apparently it's available but not listed on the site?  If you have to turn a 16" bull barrel down and add the front sight you've lost the price advantage.
View Quote

I first got the idea from CMMG's post in the Equipment Exchange.  

I then confirmed this upper configuration with DPMS directly.

The cost alone has me going toward DPMS, especially with the 10% military discount which adds up when talking about a $500 item.

Every time I've communicated with them they've been prompt and very courteous in their replies, which I appreciate.

Thanks to all for the replies thus far! .... Chris
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[b] I'm a Distributor for DPMS and shoot on there Shooting Team.  What configuration are you looking for exactly?  I have a few pictures on my web site for the 22lr.  I own quite a few and they all work just fine.  I use the Wolff Match Extra (about $29.00 a brick) and shoot 3/4" groups at 70 yards.

[url]http://www.alscustom.com/shop/images/49873.jpg[/url]

This is one of the 22 uppers that I use.

[url][email protected][/url]

[url]www.alscustom.com[/url][/b]
View Quote

What would be exactly what I'm looking for:  

- A3 receiver;
- 14.5" M4 profile, threaded barrel with a permanently attached KKF A3 Tac Brake;
- standard front sight assembly with no bayonet lug.

Joe at DPMS said the 14.5" is a NO GO, along with attaching a brake provided by me (KKF A3).

His suggestion is to go for the 16" preban upper minus the bayonet lug and flash suppressor, then I can have my own brake permanently attached, which is what I think I'm going to do, just to keep things simple.

Joe has been great answering all of my questions, and the 10% military discount offered by DPMS is the deciding factor so far in me leaning toward purchasing from them directly.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top