Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2003 8:46:09 PM EDT
Ok I have to get one of these...They look like a shit load of fun. My question is, are they reliable for home protection? Where is the cheapest place to pick one up or is it cheaper to build one?

Thanks for any replys
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you can get a complete unit.  The choices of factory made are Rock River Arms (RRA), American Spirit Arms (ASA, or Olympic Arms.

They typically run 600-800 completed (depending on config).

Building price outlook:
Lower (Eagle Arms or Mega) about 95.00
Butt kit- 50.00 avg
parts kit-50.00
Total lower-  195.00

RRA (basic 9 upper) 450
adapter block 150

You spend about the same, but if you are strapped for cash.... parting it isn't as hard on the wallet.

Edit- for got to address the home protection part.

Well, reliability is based on the parts.  Example, the mag.  I would get some mag and load them w/ different ammo and "unload".  Use the ones that do not cause ANY type of malfuction.

My 9mm?  I have some mags that have not yet failed me.  I would use those.  We are talkinga bout 30 rounds unloaded as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
well, the price is a little cheaper on the upper.

RRA-9MM0400B CAR A4 9mm Mid Length Upper-Post Ban $385

RRA-9MM0450B RRA Rock River Arms 9mm A4 Upper with Mid Length Handguards-Pre Ban with A2 Flash Hider and Bayonet Lug $385

RRA-9MM0350B Rock River Arms 9mm A4 Upper with CAR Handguards-Pre Ban- $376

RRA-9mm0300B 9mm Car Upper with A4 receiver, Carbine handguards, Post ban $376

RRA-9MM0500B Rock River Arms CAR A2 9mm Upper Assembly-Post Ban-CAR Handguards $400

RRA-9MM0650B Rock River Arms 9MM A2 Mid Length 16" Upper- Pre Ban with A2 Flash Hider and Bayonet Lug $410

sableco.net

RRA US PROPERTY MARKED Lower set up with 9mm Hammer and Postban M-4 Stock with 9mm Buffer $$309 and $13 ship

legal transfers (on the board)

Yeah you can piece it out and go that route, but I would be afraid of the color matching up between the upper and the lower. Also fit between the upper and the lower can also be a concern when using different makes.

Now for the adaptor depends on your preference.

I would go with the hy-tech mag block and use unmodified uzi mags.  all it takes is one trip to the range to work out any bugs you might get.
I would read the sticky at the top.
Basically you can do most of the troubleshooting of the mag block at home.

Good luck

CHARLES

I only know the qoute from Pete because that is the setup I am getting.

the mag block will be $125 to $150
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top