Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2003 4:29:18 PM EDT
Why do you guys buy .22 uppers?  You can't from my knowledge highcaps for them.  Aren't they also like twice the price of 10/22s?  Is it to maybe save money on rounds?  Please don't think I'm insulting you guys, just having a hard time getting it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
why not?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
why not?
View Quote

Why not?  Well, I was just thinking aren't they the same price is a 5.56 upper?  That's a whole lot less bang for the buck.  Not get me wrong, if I was a millionaire, I'd own one too.  Maybe two.  But why do YOU own one?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two and 10 30 round mags for my M16's.One is a 16" barrel with a reverse flash hider for the XM177 look.The other is a SD version.I can get 2-3 bricks and shoot all day for almost nothing.They are great with children and adults that are not familar with weapons.Its a great way to get a new person to shoot.SJR556.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, yeah.  Just let the new shooters shoot your 10/22!

I don't know why anyone would put that filthy fucking ammo into their AR!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are the reasons I own a .22 dedicated upper:
- I can shoot it using a suppressor, on my property, without the neigbors knowing I'm shooting a machinegun. I couldn't do this with a 5.56mm upper with suppressor.  
- There are no nearby ranges that will allow me to shoot my M16 in 5.56.  Closest range would be about 1 1/2 hours away.  
- At times I'll shoot a brick (500 rounds) during one session. During nicer weather, I'll easily shoot a couple thousand rounds a month.  It doesn't take long to see the savings (over 5.56) add up.  
- My wife will shoot using .22 rimfire.  She doesn't like to shoot 5.56.
- It's a lot of fun shooting .22s.  Watching the bullets impacting the target through the scope is a blast.  Soft recoil and low noise add to the fun.  

Here's a pic of it.  

[img]http://home.ix.netcom.com/~brownhen/_uimages/M16Commanchedistorted.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not? Well, I was just thinking aren't they the same price is a 5.56 upper? That's a whole lot less bang for the buck. Not get me wrong, if I was a millionaire, I'd own one too. Maybe two. But why do YOU own one?
View Quote
Personally, I had a spare post-ban lower, and have all the 5.56 uppers I need for now. Just wanted something new, I suppose.

Oh, and I already have a 10-22, Browning Auto-22, and a Marlin Papoose.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using just the drop in Ceiner Kit as opposed to a dedicated upper?

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The CZ uppers are only about $300-$325.
The local indoor ranges frown on centerfire rifles, but little 22LR keeps everyone happy all winter long.  Also retains the versatility of the AR platform.
sluggo
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using just the drop in Ceiner Kit as opposed to a dedicated upper?

View Quote
The major difference is the barrel. A 5.56 barrel is designed for a bullet with a .224 diameter. .22 rimfire bullets are .221 diameter. Also, most have a twist much faster than the normal twist for the .22, which is 1x16 in. Also, using a dedicated barrel means you can have a match chamber, instead of using the chamber insert.

A dedicated .22 upper will have greater accuracy potential.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:16:42 AM EDT
[#10]
For me the appeal is being able to get a bunch of ammo cheap and avaialable everywhere.  It is also just about recoil-less, alot quieter and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.  Looks cool too.  At some point I'd like some other calibers too.  Bottom line is I like the AR platform both for asthetics and function.
I spent as much or more on my .22 as I would have on a new .223, or 458 SOCOM, 9mm, etc.  Not as much as the SR25 I'm coveting nor the M82A, but hey one thing at a time!  It just happens o be what I bought first.  Actually since all the parts except the barrel, bolt and mag. are interchangeable (the same) with the .223 why would it cost less?  See my new rifle for reference in the Kuehl upper thread.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Figured out how to post pics!  This is why...
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p0e98ba187f80f053797113ede29c7dba/fadd73da.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Markm,
Try the CCI Mini Mag 22s. They burn cleaner and it is copper coated.

The 22 upper adds to the versitility of the AR15. Some indoor ranges only allow handgun calibers. With the 22 upper you can practice and shoot your AR cheaper. Going thru 500 rounds of 22s cost $10 - $20 and 223 will cost you a min. of $80.

A cheap 22 upper can be made from a used barrel, used upper, and handguard. Blast away and you don't have to worry about your gas tube.

The recoil is lite, less noise, easier to do rapid fire with tight groupings, cheap shooting, just plain fun. Swap out your upper and shoot another caliber.

Don't knock it until you try it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#13]
They actually do help you with shooting your AR with .223s. 10/22s dont have the same sights and overall feel of an AR. Although i agree they are kinda costly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I am getting one because I dont have anyplace that will let me shoot a 5.56.  So, in order to shoot my AR more than once a year, it has to be 22lr.
Chris
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a DPMS 22 upper.  I cost $356 delivered with one mag and complete bolt assy, charging handle, ready to put on a lower. Hard to find a 223 upper assembly complete for that.  A 10/22 isn't an AR, or anywhere close to it.  I can use my JP triggered lowers and get great accuracy from the rimfire, and it lets me learn the trigger on my lowers. It really improves my shooting with the 223 uppers.  I personally don't hunt and don't care for the 10/22s.  I have one, and shoot it when I just want to dump rounds down range, but to me it is an inferior product for the shooting I do, mostly from a bench.  I'm quite happy with the 10 round hi quality mags that DPMS sells.  I'm glad both options are out there for people who choose different.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Some of the happiest moments at our local range occur when we watch the youngsters (as young as FOUR!) plink away at golf balls and roller blade wheels at 7+ yards with a 22 AR conversion, a "real army rifle", instead of a "civilian" rifle.  It means a lot more to the kids when they shoot the "military" type firearm.  Visualize 10 ports worth of shooters and ROs stopping their own shooting to watch the small ones delightedly blasting away; that is why we love the 22-firing ARs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's the reason.  Ar 22LR conversion for 175bucks shootsw 3? grouups at 50 yds and the dedicated upper does under 1" for 325 bucks.  Or take your 10/22 and start spending bucks on it to get it shooting 1" at 50yds and you got how much in it??
 Now take thaqt dedacated 22 upper for the real challenge move those targets out to 100 yds and test your skill..   that 100 yd target you just shot with the 22 will be real close to your ability with the 5.56 upper at arround 300yds.  Now blow your mind and move that 22 target out to 150 yds and see what you shoot at 500 with the 5.56?????
 And then like the man said, bring the youngins out to shoot.  You will have no more questions.  Well yea there will be the " hay we got any ammo left>>>>
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here are the reasons I own a .22 dedicated upper:
- I can shoot it using a suppressor, on my property, without the neigbors knowing I'm shooting a machinegun. I couldn't do this with a 5.56mm upper with suppressor.  
- There are no nearby ranges that will allow me to shoot my M16 in 5.56.  Closest range would be about 1 1/2 hours away.  
- At times I'll shoot a brick (500 rounds) during one session. During nicer weather, I'll easily shoot a couple thousand rounds a month.  It doesn't take long to see the savings (over 5.56) add up.  
- My wife will shoot using .22 rimfire.  She doesn't like to shoot 5.56.
- It's a lot of fun shooting .22s.  Watching the bullets impacting the target through the scope is a blast.  Soft recoil and low noise add to the fun.  

Here's a pic of it.  

[url]http://home.ix.netcom.com/~brownhen/_uimages/M16Commanchedistorted.JPG[/url]

View Quote

Dan - nice rig. What kind of scope is that make, model, power?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#19]
My reasons are as follows.

1) It is my favorite rifle.  I even bought it its own bushmaster lower.

2) It is the same configuration as my patrol carbine. I therefore can practice with the same sight picture, feel, weight, and trigger pull.

3) I can shoot 10 .22 rounds for the cost of one 5.56

4) It has already more than paid for itself and I shoot about 500 rounds per week through it. See #3

5) I can shoot all winter long indoors.

6) my range scores increased 300% since buying it

7)  Noone at the public range ooo's and Ahhhs over a lousy 10/22 When I'm shooting this people stop look, listen and ask questions about the joys of the black rifle.  Husbands pray to their wives for the chance to buy one, and children jump for joy at the chance to empty even one mag.

8) Its mine and I can afford it, and thats makes all the other reasons secondary.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Very good reasons Ladies and Gentlemen.  I don't see one in my near future but I now see why you all own them.  Thanks for the responces.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My reasons are as follows.

It is my favorite rifle.  I even bought it its own bushmaster lower.

I therefore can practice with the same sight picture, feel, weight, and trigger pull.

I can shoot 10 .22 rounds for the cost of one 5.56

It has already more than paid for itself.

Noone at the public range ooo's and Ahhhs over a lousy 10/22 When I'm shooting this people stop look, listen and ask questions about the joys of the black rifle.  Husbands pray to their wives for the chance to buy one, and children jump for joy at the chance to empty even one mag.

Its mine and I can afford it, and thats makes all the other reasons secondary.
View Quote

All of the reasons above, and:

- It's a great way to introduce kids/newbies to shooting in general and AR's in particular.

- Good PR for shooting sports and AR's. Demonstrates that black rifles are NOT evil. After all, it's just a .22! [:D]

- I get a kick out of plinking with a .22, and I love AR's. A dedicated .22 upper is a natural progression for me. The best of both worlds.

- [b][red][size=6]It's FUN!!![/b][/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Lion_Dog,
The scope is a 4X compact rimfire scope made by Simmons. The model is 1031 22 Mag Mini. It's not an expensive scope, but it works great for me. Cut and past the link to see this scope and others: www.simmonsoptics.com/scopes/22mag.html

The riser mount was bought separately for $15.00. It's also inexpensive and does an excellent job. The rings that come with the scope will not fit the riser mount, so a regular set of one inch rings will have to be purchased.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW, when I had my M-16 the 22LR conversion and upper was a cheap way to shoot and the 22LR was more fun then any other upper as there was no recoil and the rate of fire is something you have to see to appreciate!  This combined with the cheap ammo and low noise allowed me to shoot and shoot a lot!

Now, after I sold my M-16 I ended up selling my Ciener kit and all my 30-rd mags as the mags had become worth much more than I needed to have invested for a 22LR.  A single 30-rd Ciener mags will cost you about the same amount that I can buy a used 10-22 for!  That just doesn't make sence to me so I sold these items for things taht were more important to me at the time (Actually swapped the 30-rd Cieners for a BETA as I recall).

If the crime bill dies and Ciener 30-rd mags return to about $30/ea I will buy another conversion kit and stock up on some mags again.  Until then, I am quite happy waiting for my RR Vector UZI to arive as I already have my 28-rd UZI 22LR mags waiting to see if the UZI is as much fun as the M-16 in 22LR!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought it was a neat idea for a while...I bought a SS heavy 20" setup from KKF. I bought a new A3 upper and used it on my Armalite lower. I set it up with a high power scope and the works. It was gonna be my mini sniper. It shot 1" groups at 50 yards..not bad, not great. It functioned 85% of the time...kinda shitty if you ask me. I quickly grew tired of it and sold the barrel and conversion and went back to .223, I just couldn't see the investment in something that wouldn't shoot great. It shoot o.k....bit not good enough. It probably would of shot better with $10/box ammo, but that completely defeats the purpose. I just decided that 9mm in my perfect relatively cheap to shoot, fun gun.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top