Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2003 4:06:23 PM EDT
Been Lurking here for a while and finally started my AR project.  I have decided to go with a 22LR upper from either DPMS or Fulton.  Mainly I am interested in the accuracy of the flattop uppers.  Any info, comments, suggestions, etc. about these uppers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris  
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I should have a Kuehl upper in a week or two.  I'll post range reports...and pics of course.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I've recently been shooting a CZ .22LR upper with CCI SS HP ammo.  This CCI stuff has been really great in all of my .22s, especially the CF pistol conversions that can be a bit tempermental.  I've been getting 1/2" groups at 25yds with this upper and my plinking target of choice is plastic bottle caps.  That's with a crappy Simmons scope and even crappier M16A1 factory trigger.  There have been a few ammo hangups in the magazine and a few failures to fire, both of which will probably go away with break-in or fiddling.  I'm quite happy, especially for the money spent.  I didn't buy the DPMS becuase of the bull barrel (unnecessarry weight) but I understand they will soon be offering different versions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard different things about the CZ upper. I do not mind the extra weight of the bull barrel, as it actually improves my accuracy.  I actually intend to shoot smallbore this winter to help my hipower shooting, so accuracy is key.  Would a jewel or 2 stage trigger work in the CZ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm real happy with my Kuehl upper.  With the proper 1:16 twist even the little 10" barrel is very accurate.  Most of my .22 shooting is at 75 yards or less and it is deadly at those ranges.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
where is a cheap place to get a kuehl upper? i have heard good things about them but they are pricy when i see them for sale.  I'm looking at spending $400-$500 max on the upper, plus sights.  the cost is the other main reason I'm looking at the DPMS and Fulton entries into the 22 lr uppers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Last weekend, I sighted in 2 DPMS .22lr Rifles for a 3 gun match. They both had red dot scopes. I sighted them in at about 60 yards. Then I played with them for a while just to see if A)I could get them to jam and B)what type of 10 shot groups I could with them.

I shot about 200 rounds thru each of them with different magazines, never had one malufunction. Both rifles were consistanly shooting 1" 10 shot groups.....I suspect they would do better if I had a scope with magnification.

I cleaned both rifles and put them away for the match. During the match....each rifle shot about 800 rounds before the chambers got dirty and they started to mis-fire. I believe this was due to ammo and the clay dust that was present......also, the rifle sat out in the sun pretty much all day (they got real HOT!!!)

The rifles took a lot of abuse, more than the average person would give these rifles. I feel that they are very reliable and very accurate.....I ordered one on Monday and will have next week.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw that CMMG has DPMS uppers available with the M4 contour in pre and post ban configurations as well as the bull barrel original.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw that CMMG has DPMS uppers available with the M4 contour in pre and post ban configurations as well as the bull barrel original.  
View Quote

I have the bull bbl. upper...shoots great and is nicely heavy to the front for bipos use. Also, it has a free float forend.

Except for the "coolness" factor (and you still need to have a faux flash suppressor added) the M4 is a waste imho.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Helldog,
True there is a certain amount of coolness factor involved with the M4 design, but I suppose thats also true if you have an AR type 22LR instead of a 10/22.  Unless of course you need a practice rig matched to your service weapon.  
The reason I went with the Kuehl was the 14.5" barrel.  I've asked many folks and have been advised that anything over 16" affects the MV. I've been told 13.5 is optimum but that would have required more smithing to get to legal length.
In the end yup I bought the M4 for looks the barrel length was a plus.  I like the DPMS bulls too. I still don't know if it is a waste, just different.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I still don't know if it is a waste, just different.
View Quote

Perhaps I spoke too harshly...I meant no offense. My basic rule= your money, your choice. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#11]
No offense taken or perceived!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Can the DPMS 22lr bull barrel upper be used with a jewell trigger?  What do you guys think of the Fulton Accutron upper in 22lr?  Id probably shoot it competitivly for indoor smallbore.  Does anyone know where I can find these uppers the cheapest?
thanks,
Chris
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top