Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 7:54:21 PM EDT
I've seen Tromix makes a bad ass 50AE upper, and I've also seen at least one other company that has these available.  Anyone shooting one of these?

I have a lot of 50AE around, I load for it now because I'm a Desert Eagle guy in my off-AR hours.  I've seen the 458 Socom but I see myself getting into 50AE for much less money since I am already set up for it.

I just loaded 7 rounds of 50AE into a Colt 20rd.  It seems a liitle short.  Are the magazines modified somehow, maybe with a block in back to keep things in line?

Any rifle 50AE experience or AR specific stuff would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=11397[/img]

I prefer my 440 Corbon. 50 AE. necked dwon to 44.
All of my 440 brass is 50 AE necked down so you would be good to go. As well as haveing a better bullit selection.

cruizer
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Tromix makes these "resin" plastic inserts that run the FRONT of the mag and are tapered to guide the round upwards in to the chmaber, they work very well -- as I found though the conversions are a bitch on 40rd mags.  I tried and failed.  If I get around to it I will send the mags and kits to Tony and have him piece them together.

The 20rd USGI conversions should be easier because of the straight mag body.  I have some of those too.

I have shot my 50AE upper a bit and it is pretty darn accurate.  I had a 440 Corbon Mag upper before and the 50AE is about the same. [red]Although I too liked the 440 Corbon Mag better.[/red]

I put 10 shots in the same hole at 50yrds from a front sandbag and no rear support using a 0-4 power scope.

HTH....
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Being a DE fan, I am farmiliar with the 440 too -- I have no dies, but I see CH4D has the dies for $96.60.

Can I actually neck down 50AE brass myself in the sizing die?  I was under the impression that this wasn't possible.  I assume I'd have to neck it down and trim to length -- sounds easy.  Did you do this to make your 440 brass or did you actually buy the Corbon rounds when they were available?

-Dan
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Corbon still has the 440 ammo as far as I know.  I had no trouble buying the ammo last year.

I didn't reload at all for anything.  I bought a complete kit, I just sold it....don't know who I was kidding.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 440 Corbon Tromix upper also.  Unfortunatly, I have not shot it yet, since I'm saving up for the dies (forming and loading).  I'm cheap, as I don't want to buy loaded ammo...something about $23.00 for 20rounds....

The mags have an plastic incert in the front to take up the slack room.  That reminds me, I have to get some more "kits" to convert some more mags for 440 Corbon use....

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thinking about bigger mags.  Could two 20rd steel mags be welded together to get like a 13-14 rd mag?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
USA brand fourty round mags work fine with the conversion.  Too big to be practical. You only have to hit your target once to kill it.

cruizer
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
USA brand fourty round mags work fine with the conversion.  Too big to be practical. You only have to hit your target once to kill it.

cruizer
View Quote

Haha. [ROFL]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:27:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Shivan,

You need to swap out the 40rd USA spring with a 30rd GI spring in order to get the conversion to work in the 40rd mags.

The USA spring is too long front-to-back to fit between the legs of the 50AE follower.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top