Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 9:06:47 AM EDT
Has anyone made a 9mm AOW from an AR lower?

Since it is legal to make and AOW from a "virgin" AR lower, as long as you do it in the correct way, this has some potential as a fun gun, maybe even a good house gun.

No it does not really replace a handgun or a carbine.  It just fits in the middle of them.  I am not sure it would ever be a first choice weapon.  Maybe all it would be is a way to fire more ammo at the range.  I am just curious if anyone has done it yet, in 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Not yet, but I have thought about it on occasion.  The idea of an AOW in .223/5.56mm has always struck me as somewhat absurd due to barrel length, a pistol caliber AOW would be a much more usable product.  Might make a neat toy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Has anyone made a 9mm AOW from an AR lower?
View Quote

Oly made some of their OA-93 uppers in 9mm years ago...  Find one and go for it!

mark
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
It would be pretty cool.  You could use it similar to a MP5K with a sling tightened so that when you pulled it forward, it would be the same distance from your eye as it would be if it had a stock.  It would be pretty stable and not suffer from too much recoil or muzzle flip due to the heavier weight as compared to a sidearm.  I actually think it might make an effective CQB/HD weapon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You could use it similar to a MP5K with a sling tightened so that when you pulled it forward, it would be the same distance from your eye as it would be if it had a stock.
View Quote

That is what I was kind of thinking.  Also, since the AOW tax is $5 as compared to $200 for an SBR, it is a no brainer.  Then if you ever decided you really wanted to add a CAR stock, you could register it as an SBR and then do so.

Either way, it seems like a fun idea to me so I am going to put that on my "list".
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:38:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That is what I was kind of thinking.  Also, since the AOW tax is $5 as compared to $200 for an SBR, it is a no brainer.  Then if you ever decided you really wanted to add a CAR stock, you could register it as an SBR and then do so.

Either way, it seems like a fun idea to me so I am going to put that on my "list".
View Quote

While the transfer fee for an AOW is only $5, the making fee is still $200.  So, unless you have a type 07 FFL, with SOT paid, make you the AOW, it will cost the same as a SBR for you to manufacture.

I suspect that adding a stock to an AOW would permanently make it a SBR and require an additional making fee of $200.  It may be less hassle, and cheaper in the long run, so simply register/build as a SBR and swap the stock on or off as needed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]
OMR,

Thanks for the info.  It has been a while since I read any of that stuff, but what you said rings some bells.  I forgot about the making tax.  So now I make an SBR.  I think I just went full circle from where I was a few months ago.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top