Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2003 6:53:48 AM EDT

Looking at the debate between the 499 LW and Beowulf, it appears that one of the drawbacks is magazine problems using 30 round mags to feed more than 7 rounds for the Beowulf.  Looking at a picture on one of the posts, it looks like the magazines for the 499 LW are straight.  Does anyone know whether these magazines work with the Beowulf?  If so, what is the reliability in this set-up?

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The 458 SOCOM uses UNMODIFIED USGI mags and it does not bind the follower.  I just loaded two with 10 rounds of 300gr goodness.

They function 100%, even the Orlites and Thermolds work well with the 458 SOCOM.  I guess the necked down design has an added benefit.

FWIW, I have seen the Beowulf function with USGI mags at 10 rounds as well.

YMMV...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My Beowulf functions fine with most GI 30 round magazines.  The steel British SA80 magazines also function well.  Alas!, the Orlites don't work at all.  (Though I have had good luck with them in 5.56).

I don't consider mags to be a problem for the Beowulf.  The main problem is loading enough ammunition, it disappears quickly!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top