Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2003 2:34:31 PM EDT
Anyone know how I can get these cheap high-cap magazines to work with a ASA 9mm upper?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Not currently legal - but yes prior to 94 it was done.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, what a coincidence - I just posted some thoughts on suomi drum/mag conversions on falfiles earlier today...  Does anyone know if the suomi stick mags can be made to work with a 9MM AR upper?

If so, it may be legally possible.  The ATF says that a mag can be converted to work in another firearm as long as it works in the original firearm, correct?   They've also said it is OK to create one larger mags from two preban hicap mags.

So... why not take a suomi stick mag and attach it to the top of the suomi drum?  The problem with the suomi drums is there is no feed tower area, so they don't fit any guns may for box-type magazines.  However, the attaching the suomi stick mag would create a sort of feed tower.  The resulting mag should also still work in the gun it was originally designed for.

Thoughts?

Rocko
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey, what a coincidence - I just posted some thoughts on suomi drum/mag conversions on falfiles earlier today...  Does anyone know if the suomi stick mags can be made to work with a 9MM AR upper?

If so, it may be legally possible.  The ATF says that a mag can be converted to work in another firearm as long as it works in the original firearm, correct?   They've also said it is OK to create one larger mags from two preban hicap mags.

So... why not take a suomi stick mag and attach it to the top of the suomi drum?  The problem with the suomi drums is there is no feed tower area, so they don't fit any guns may for box-type magazines.  However, the attaching the suomi stick mag would create a sort of feed tower.  The resulting mag should also still work in the gun it was originally designed for.

Thoughts?

Rocko
View Quote

That is actually a really, really good idea.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds so good it is probably to good to be true.  I have welded a few stens together to get a 45-46 round mag. Take your time and you ought to be ok.

cruizer
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
it looks like Master Piece Arms is getting ready to release a MAC carbine that takes 72rnd. Suomi drums. It uses a FAL lower with MAC upper and a new serial numbered frame and AR15 handguards. Theres some proto type and Cad Cam (3-4) pictures up at MACguns.com in the general firearms forum in the thread (New gun from concept to production in 2 weeks.) the Cad Cam drawings on the 2nd. page look interesting. I might have to add one to the collection!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Rocko
View Quote

I agree and I had the same thoughts myself...  I have not bought the mags to try it out but from what I have read it should be possible.  One problem you may run into is how to run the cartridges up into the stick mag part of the franken drum that you would be making but the beta mag uses linked dummy rounds so perhaps something like that would work!

Also, if you look at the Vector UZI 22 LR mags and the way they used a standard UZI mag with a special insert (mag in a mag) it may be possible to make a single stack feed tower that would feed better than a double stack feed tower?

Good Luck as this sounds like quite a bit of work but if the crime bill doesn't go away it may be something that I may be willing to attempt as well!

Personally, I am hoping the crime bill dies and I can get a 9mm Beta mag for the AR-15!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
it looks like Master Piece Arms is getting ready to release a MAC carbine that takes 72rnd. Suomi drums. It uses a FAL lower with MAC upper and a new serial numbered frame and AR15 handguards. Theres some proto type and Cad Cam (3-4) pictures up at MACguns.com in the general firearms forum in the thread (New gun from concept to production in 2 weeks.) the Cad Cam drawings on the 2nd. page look interesting. I might have to add one to the collection!
View Quote

their already forsale on gunbrokers.com  asking price is $699
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
$699.00 is a little steep for a hybrid MAC. It is a good idea and use for the Soumi drums, but they won't fly out the door at $700.00. If they sell the upper and frame for $325.00 and customer supplies the FAL lower they might sell.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Go to www.vectorarms.com.  Have someone convert the uzi drum for your AR15/M16
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw the MAC/Sunomi rifle today. Interesting idea. Rear lower is a FAL. Then an adaptor plate to mate a long barreled MAC type side cocking upper to it. One thing - they are really heavy!. I suggested they turn down the barrel to a A2 profile maybe with a M4 turn as well to cut out some weight. Plus make the adaptor out of sheet metal instead of milled steel. I swear it felt like it weighted 12 pounds or more!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#11]
JohnGA. how much $$$ was the price? What was your impression on the quality? thank's pappyo. I see the fella on Gun Broker has actual pictures up now of the MPA971 instead of CAD drawings. It does'nt look to bad, it woulda looked better if the FAL lower was parked like the upper. I hope they make a version that takes Sten mags for people like me in Ohio limited to 30 rounds. Looks like a fine bullet hose for the guy's who can use those $20.00 drums
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
www.rhineland1.com
They have a grease gun mag conversion for FAL's but soon to have a suomi conversion as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Ah....don't you just love it when one finds a "legal" way around the rules....

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top