Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 5:57:22 AM EDT
Do any of you have an opinion as to the optimal length for a .22 upper barrel?  I was thinking that I might go with the Kuehl M4 config.  but figured I'd get some more opinions on the matter before trowing down the cash.
14.5, 16, or longer?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Most loads have reached peak velocity at 10-14 inches.  That said, anything longer is just a place for it to pick up inaccuracy from the rifling.  In reading about suppressed 22s, they are usually 5.5 to 10 inches, with eight being a common length.  They are short and thick, so they have low amplitude barrel harmonics.  But you are probably not going to be able to go that route, so I would say just a 16 inch with a good muzzle crown.  Most 22 as called on to be accurate so you don't want anything hiding the crown.  But then again, the crown is less important with a 22 rimfire than with something with more pep.  Lower gas pressure at the muzzle to play with the base of the bullet if the crown isn't even.

As for longer than 16 decreasing accuracy, maybe, but I don't think it would be noticable to most people, and it would be such a small factor that others would make much more difference.  I have a remington bolt gun with a 24 inch barrel that shoots extremely well for what it is.  Non-free floated barrel, action held in by only one screw, you can really see the slop with the bolt is closed empty.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have also read up on this subject and If I remember correctly....13 1/2" is optimal for accuracy and velocity. I want to think that Valquartsen may even make a 16" barrel that is bored out at the muzzle end back to 13 1/2".

My $0.02
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget about the balance of the rifle. I origonaly wanted a 16" barrel, but went with the 20" Kuehl because I like the way it balances.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
When I bought my dedicated .22 upper from KKF, I asked Kurt.  He told me that 16" would be best, and that anything over would detract from accuracy.

Brad
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all your replys and by all means keep them comming.  I'm not sure how the barrel will be crowned but I know it will have a muzzle break on it for legal reasons.  I think it is 14.5" then just a shade over 16 w/ the muzzle break.  I was adding up the cost of the thing and it might be the most expensive 22 on the planet! But what the hell...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top