Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2003 4:20:56 PM EDT
Just received 3 via UPS.  I don't know what these are coated with, but they turned my hands black immediately.  The mags are the 9mm Sten mags with 7/8" tubing welded to them and require no adapter in an unmodified lower.  These are next to impossible to load and no loader is offered by Oly.  After 8-12 rounds, it is a knockdown dragout fight to get any more rounds loaded.  Unloading them shows the follower jamming and the rounds won't feed out.  The one I had at the range (the 4th example) had the same issues and the follower jammed and caused FTF.  Whatever they are coating these with is causing the follower to jam.  At $65 a pop, don't waste your time.  All 6 unmodified CDNN supplied mags worked flawlessly and I used a Glock loading tool to load them.  I figure I will be sending them back for a refund.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Olympic Arms sells loaders for their pistol cal mags. Here's a link:

[url]http://www.olyarms.com/access.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one for my modified UZI mags, worth its weight in gold, can only get 18 in my mag, but thats more than enough for me.

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe im just lucky but i have 13, 25 round uzis and have no trouble loading them by hand,Yeah they are a little tight but i can get a full 25 rounds in them no prob.sometimes i have to tap the base on the table but still easy enuff......UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link.  Oly may sell 'em, but they are "expecting some in" just like the mags that took 3 weeks to get.  I will stick with the un-mod mags for now and maybe I will just make a loader the next time I am doing some welding and metal work.  

I figure it is all about professionalism. Products should work out of the box.  If a mag is impossible to load without a tool, provide the tool with the product.  It just irks me that I gotta spend $16 + shipping to make a $1000 investment useable.  (I bought a complete rifle and they forgot to include a 32 round mag as advertised)
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Try this as a loading method....

You will need a dowel and a wire or allen wrench that fits in the holes on the back of the mag.  Take the dowel and push the follower all the way down.  Take the wire/allen wrench and stick it into a hole above the follower, which will hold it down.  Take out dowel and load rounds.... pull out wire/allen wrench... mag loaded.

Try taking a part the Sten mag and cleaning inside.  Look for any burs and such.  If there are any, you might have to file it down.

Yup, making a 9mm set up is expensive.  And the Colt type 9mm mags are just as expensive.  Maybe spraying the Stens w/ some lube might help....
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link.  Oly may sell 'em, but they are "expecting some in" just like the mags that took 3 weeks to get.  I will stick with the un-mod mags for now and maybe I will just make a loader the next time I am doing some welding and metal work.  

I figure it is all about professionalism. Products should work out of the box.  If a mag is impossible to load without a tool, provide the tool with the product.  It just irks me that I gotta spend $16 + shipping to make a $1000 investment useable.  (I bought a complete rifle and they forgot to include a 32 round mag as advertised)
View Quote

Wildearp,
I wholeheartedly agree with you, its something certain companies sometimes forget, and are  also noted as lacking.

Life is like a box from ******** ****, you never know what yer gonna get.

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks,  

A dowel.  I will try that method.  I was using a screwdriver and figured I would probably be pulling it out of my hand at some point.  I may even incorporate a bottle capper in this experiment.  Certainly not a field expedient method, but this is a plinker, right????? Ha!

Now the wheels are turning.  A dowel in a drill press with the mag in the drill press clamp.  I'll bet I have something here!!!!

I did do the ultrasonic clean, lube, and polished the follower.  Still a flaming b**ch to load.  

The two oly mags that went in the mail today had rust and pitting inside.  Unserviceable. They should have inspected them and scrapped them.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The drill press idea worked great.  Just finished loading four mags in no time.  Time for beer!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top