Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2003 3:49:33 PM EDT
OK.  I want to get a 9mm upper, probably a RRA, to attach to my stock post-ban Bushy lower.  Also, I want to use the two-piece mag-well block so I can use Sten mags.

My questions:

I will need a new hammer or a ramped bolt to make it work, correct?

Will either of the above mods affect the operation of my factory 16" Bushy upper?

Sometime in the future I would like to make a SBR from the 9mm upper.  Any advice?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
OK.  I want to get a 9mm upper, probably a RRA, to attach to my stock post-ban Bushy lower.  Also, I want to use the two-piece mag-well block so I can use Sten mags.

My questions:

I will need a new hammer or a ramped bolt to make it work, correct?
View Quote

Yes

Will either of the above mods affect the operation of my factory 16" Bushy upper?
View Quote

No, ramp the bolt and you don't need to mess with hammers. Ramping saves the hammer pin too.

Sometime in the future I would like to make a SBR from the 9mm upper.  Any advice?
View Quote

Here's my 9mm upper (bottom pic) Took a RRA 16" cut it and threaded it. (top pic is a 7.62 x 39 upper, did the same to it) Both are used on a Colt M16A1.

[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/7629mm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick response, Joe.

I only have the one lower for now so I don't want to mess with it's operation.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Read this thread carefully, all the hammer-ramp issues are discussed in there.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=161635[/url]

and

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=162134[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it would be easier just to grind the hammer down a bit than ramp the carrier.

Is that possible. Rounding the hammer yourself?

Joe
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Some people have reported doing it, but you lose the surface hardness where you remove material.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top