Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2003 10:54:51 AM EDT
Pardon the FNG questions, but I couldn't find the answers offhand...

Do Olyarms 9mm uppers come with a ramped bolt?  Also, they will work with any lower with a "standard" hammer, correct?  My understanding is that Colt style uppers (in specific, I am looking at the RRA one) require a different hammer and have a bolt is not ramped?

Finally, does anyone make a magwell adapter allowing a colt system to take  Sten mags?   (Sorry, my 56k modem won't allow me to read the 10 page tacked post on that topic!)

Thanks in advance

Dawg

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Pardon the FNG questions, but I couldn't find the answers offhand...

Do Olyarms 9mm uppers come with a ramped bolt?  Also, they will work with any lower with a "standard" hammer, correct?
View Quote
[blue]
Olympic Arms uses a std AR carrier, with a caliber specific bolt head assembled to the front of the carrier... Use any hammer. [/blue]

My understanding is that Colt style uppers (in specific, I am looking at the RRA one) require a different hammer and have a bolt is not ramped?
View Quote
[blue]
To run the bolt as it comes from RRA, you have to use either a 9mm hammer, or a M16 style hammer with the auto-sear lug removed.

If running a M-16 w/9mm, std M16 parts are used.

If you ramp the 9mm bolt, then any hammer can be used, and eliminates the possibilty of trigger slap.... Myself, I am using the M-16 hammer with no auto-sear lug in my SBR.[/blue]

Finally, does anyone make a magwell adapter allowing a colt system to take  Sten mags?   (Sorry, my 56k modem won't allow me to read the 10 page tacked post on that topic!)
View Quote
[blue]
I use 56K dial-up, and I do not have a problem with the pages downloading,,, it's 8 pages now, as some have deleted their posts. I have the works saved to disc back in Jan-2003. The modified 2 piece Colt style block to use Sten Mags appears to have gotten lost somewhere.....

Also refer to this thread: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=161635[/url]... and this one: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=159411[/url][/blue]

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Not quite sure what you want to know about the Sten mag adapter/use in the Colt (ASA, RRA) style 9mm....  but here is something you might want to look at.

Quarterbore added a page to his site.  It has the Word file in HTML that I emailed to people.  You can read it there.

[url]http://quarterbore.com/ar15m16/colt2stenmags.html[/url]

That page has the most current info on how to modify/creat a block and how to notch a mag.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
One bolt is ramped and the other isn't, just a FYI.

[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/sidebyside9mmbolt.jpg[/img]

Just $70.00 ramps your bolt....
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Well let me throw thiso out for you guys to chew on. Is there any reason why a person can't use Olympics sten mag block with a Colt stlye upper? Iam guessing that the Olympic Bolt assy. is worlds different than Colt,RRA, ASA?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the Oly.  If you are thinking of a new purchase, Oly no longer sells a 9mm adapter block.  They weld a 7/8" piece of square tubing to the rear of each magazine to fit without an adapter block to solve the issue of accidentally dropping the mag and mag block from an unmodified gun.  I think their mags are junk and will be sending two back very soon.  The Oly comes with a ramped bolt.

I ordered 6 unmodified mags from CDNN, $5 each and a $65 mag block from SOCOMMFG.  All mags run great and I load them with a modified Glock 9mm loader.  I did drop my mag block once already, so I plan to install a ball detent style set screw in the block and place a small slot inside my mag well to prevent inadvertant dropping.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top