Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 6:25:45 PM EDT
Been away for quite a while.  I hardly recognize the place anymore.

Anyway, got a quick question about ramping 9mm Colt style bolts.  I've seen some posts recommending bolt ramping to prevent trigger slap.  I can't say I've ever noticed this, maybe it's a full auto only problem.  I did however break a hammer pin after only a few hundred rounds.  I made one out of tool steel and so far its been running like a champ.  Has anyone had any problems with a ramped bolt unlocking too early such as sooty or bulged cases?  I can see how ramping the bolt would decrease the amount of force required to cycle the action.  I'm concidering ramping my bolt to take some of the stress off the hammer pin and possibly prevent damage to the lower.  I understand the Colt 9mm's tend to be rough on the hammer pins.

Thanks in advance for any info.  It's appreciated.

Walker
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of people may ramp their bolts but as far as I know only SAW ramps them AND adds a TUNGSTEN weight to the bolt to bring the ROF back down to where it was before ramping.
[img]http://home.cfl.rr.com/c3stuff/5_9mm/saw_bolt.JPG[/img]
Above is a picture of my bolt as it looked when I got it back from SAW.
Below is a link to my website for further info:
[url]http://home.cfl.rr.com/c3stuff[/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I had my bolt ramped for $65.00 by a member on this site (for a semi). The weight is the same (no Tungsten insert). It makes it easier on the pins and ultimately on the receiver holes (even in semi).
From what I read, the SAW approach (ramp and extra weight) is very good, particularly in full auto.
In my opinion, it makes good sense to ramp the bolt to facilitate the hammer movement as opposed to "nailing" it at each round.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is ramped and it didn't bring the cyclic rate up very much for full auto.

I'm not sure that sooty cases are an accurate indicator of a blowback gun opening too early.  My crappy reloads are pretty sooty on the outside and there is a consistant pattern to it.  Good factory ammo comes out with the normal ammount of soot around just the mouth.  
This isn't any different than before I ramped my bolt. {added: of course this could mean that the problem existed for me before I hacked my bolt}

It definately runs more smoothly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's mine. Milled it with a carbide endmill.
[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~subguns/public/carrier-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~subguns/public/carrier.jpg[/img]

I "do these" for $65.00
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a shot from the other end?

I'm curious to see how deeply you ramped yours.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
what's the point in ramping the bolt?  Serious question.  My 9mm runs 100%.  Should I still ramp the bolt?  Will it reduce wear or anything like that?  thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what's the point in ramping the bolt?  Serious question.  My 9mm runs 100%.  Should I still ramp the bolt?  Will it reduce wear or anything like that?  thanks.
View Quote

Saves your lower receiver because the hammer isn't re-cocked so violently, prevents hammer bounce, and in the Colt system you can use the .223 hammer...no more switching hammers
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool.  I'm using Sten mags in a Colt-style 9mm system, but this sounds like a good idea.  Where do I send it, and how long does it take [:D]

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cool.  I'm using Sten mags in a Colt-style 9mm system, but this sounds like a good idea.  Where do I send it, and how long does it take [:D]

-Gloftoe
View Quote

Sent you "IM"
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Joe Black did mine. Fast turn around and a very nice machine job. Great guy to work with. 110% statisfied.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess it can make you go blind............

The way I did my ramp is a little different.  It isn't cut as deep into the carrier but ends at roughly the same point towards the front of the bolt.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The way I did my ramp is a little different.  It isn't cut as deep into the carrier but ends at roughly the same point towards the front of the bolt.
View Quote

Blind, blind?  Is your one arm bigger than the other?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:42:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info and pictures.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Blind, blind?  Is your one arm bigger than the other?
View Quote

Let's just say that I can shoot faster right handed than left handed and my right arm looks like Popeyes.............

BTW, joeblack, have you considered making some Sten-in-a-Colt blocks for the unwashed masses?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I think I saw it posted before... but what are the dimensions of the ramping?  Length and how much at the firing pin area?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Mill the ramp at 3 degrees and do not mill to deep or the hammer wont re-cock.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I saw it posted before... but what are the dimensions of the ramping?  Length and how much at the firing pin area?

Thanks.
View Quote

I just *SWAG'd it and made it look as much like the 5.56mm ramp as I could.

[i]*SWAG - Scientific Wild-Assed Guess.[/i]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#18]

I just *SWAG'd it and made it look as much like the 5.56mm ramp as I could.
View Quote

WTF, *SWAG'D, spend some money, support the economy, and get a nice job done!!!
[chair]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
It sounds like you're "the economy" in this case!

Half the idea of ramping my own bolt was instant gratification.  Although I forgot to reinstall the firing pin, I went shooting right after doing the big cut.

After I got home, I sat around with a big file and  a whetstone and smoothed it out while watching wrestling on TV.  No rednecks here..........
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:23:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It sounds like you're "the economy" in this case!
View Quote

[:I]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top