Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 5:35:18 PM EDT
Anyone id the 3 AR 9mm coverted magazines in the middle.

They can't be Sten magazines, there's no Sten mag. block on the market yet.  Right???

They almost look like S&W 76 mags.

the mystery photo......

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I can verify they're not stens - the 'hood' is too long.  Not sure what they are, though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn is that pic ever a slow load.

My guess is Mac 10 9mm mags (just a guess).
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of them.  I bought it from CDNN at least a year ago.  It is a single feed mag.  It didn't run in my upper and it is sitting at the bottom of one of my drawers.
I think it was advertised as a south american contract mag.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two of those.  They work for me.  Fit a little tight in the mag well.  I wondered what they are too.  They were heavily modified to make them fit an AR mag well.  I'll be watching this tread to see what the answer is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
If there is a member here w/ the tag "Dr.NO" or something like that from Texas.

It's his set-up/pic.

..keep your eyes peeled......
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two just like them.  Bought them from CDNN.  They are single feed, 30 rounds.  Very reliable.  As I recall, they cost $25.  They were advertised as South African, but I have no idea as to the original piece that they belong to.

I think it is a shame they are no longer available.  I think it is possible they would make good .40 S&W mags.  Capacity would drop, however.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
There was another SMG similar to the Sten it is the 9/mm the FBP Portuguese. It was designed shortly after WW II and was set up originally to use the STEN mag because of the large number of surplus units available. Local production of that mag may possibly be the source of the mags in the middle. I didn't follow through with countries that purchased these SMG's but South Africa is a high probability.

copy and paste this url

http://www.military-collections.com/weapons.html

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Those three in the middle are those so called "South African" mags.  They were built for the Colt 9mm.  But unlike the facotry, they are double stack, single feed.  Those work great in my 9mm ASA.  The only problems that I saw/have, depends on the mags.  Some, as stated are tight.  Others are really loose.  Tight ones can be tweeked in a vice while the loose ones can be made tighter by putting aluminum or stainless steel heating tape (NOT duct tape).  Other then that, they are great mags.  I have a few of them.

Granted, I also have the Sten blocks from my.  So my Colt mags are in storage, so to speak.

If you are looking for some like that, the trick is to bring your adapter block w/ you.  Ask the seller (if gunshow) if you can fit it in the block.  Best way, as some are loose... I saved my "loose" ones.  They're my range mags... the rest, feed so good that I'd bet my life on them.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top