Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 6:30:26 PM EDT
First, what do I have to do to get rid of the paint (I think that it is paint)? Then once I strip them, what protective finish do I put on them? Any experience (with pics please!)? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I sandblasted mine, then had Todd at Ohio Rapid Fire "park" them, charged $3 ea, look like my M11 finish/color.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I sandblasted mine, then had Todd at Ohio Rapid Fire "park" them, charged $3 ea, look like my M11 finish/color.
View Quote

Any suggestions for those of us who do not have a sandblaster?

I've a bunch of mags, including a 50-round Lanchester I bought from IMA, that have a bunch of dried-on grease, filth, and grime, and some of them have both the crap and some rust.

Any suggestions on a degreaser that won't STINK UP THE WHOLE HOUSE?

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 2:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
On some I had good luck with degreasing I used hot soapy water and 409.  I like simple green , and it smells nice.  

For the initial part, a roll of paper towels is handy to remove the grease in large quantities.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Automotive machine shop. See if they will "tank" them really cheap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used a wire brush mounted on a bench grinder to remove rust, then painted with a rust converting primer and finished with flat black paint.  Its not as nice as having them blasted and parkerized, but it seems to work ok.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I just used brillo pads during the cleaning process to help get the crap off the mags. Details on my recent refinishing try are here:

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=146841&w=searchPop[/url]

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top