Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 6:47:14 PM EDT
I need assistance in choosing an AR15 upper in a pistol caliber. I have a choice of a Pre-Ban Eagle or Pre-Ban EA arms lower to put it on.

Questions:

1. What is the shortest legal barrel length? 10" would be my preference.

2. Can I purchase a lower registered as a pistol and put a shorter barrel on it? Can I still use a buttstock?

3. I reload .223, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45ACP so I don't care what caliber it is in except 9mm would probably be my choice because it is the cheapest to shoot.

4. I have seen info on the Sten magazines as well as pre-ban pistol mags being used. Which is better?

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1. What is the shortest legal barrel length? 10" would be my preference.
View Quote

The OABL (over all barrel length) must be 16".  That means you can have a 2" barrel, but it had better have a permanently attached 14" flash hider!

2. Can I purchase a lower registered as a pistol and put a shorter barrel on it? Can I still use a buttstock?
View Quote

NEGATIVE! Any lower designated pistol prior to the 94 ban can have any length barrel on it, so long as there is no way to shoulder it.  Everything after 94 must weigh less than 50oz's(?)

3. I reload .223, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45ACP so I don't care what caliber it is in except 9mm would probably be my choice because it is the cheapest to shoot.
View Quote

That’s why I shoot 9mm.  It's half the price of .223, .45 and 40.  You reload, so I'm sure you can load the big calibers even cheaper than I can buy them for at great deals.

4. I have seen info on the Sten magazines as well as pre-ban pistol mags being used. Which is better?
View Quote

You mean the Olympic conversion? go with the Oly 9mm upper w/SOCOM block. MUCH cheaper. [url=http://www.socommfg.com/9adapt.htm]Click here for info on the SOCOM[/url]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have complete ASA 9mm conversion kits for sale at below advertised ASA prices.  This includes the magwell block, buffer/spring/9mm hammer and complete upper with bolt.

Check out [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=150521[/url]

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an oly and I love it.  Got an 11.5" on the way as well for my RLL lower.  No short barrel worries there!  I have had no reliability problems with my Oly.  Shoots realy great too!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top