Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2003 4:21:35 PM EDT
OK, this is the rimfire forum so I'll throw this out...
I went to the outdoor range on New years eve, brought my HB 10/22 w/ 6x18 scope. I was shooting 2.5 - 3.00 groups with CCI mini mags. Is this common group size? Do most folks shoot rimfire at 50 yds? A couple guys mentioned that the rifle was the most accurate 10/22 they have ever seen, and at 50 yds, I'd agree. 2.5 - 3.0" groups ain't all that impressive to me but at 100 yds I'm unsure of what a "good group" size is.
I tried using Rem subsonic but I ran out of elevation adjustment. The mini mags left me about 2" of elevation. Its obvious that high velocity .22 lr shoots much flatter that the subsonic stuff.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a regular 10/22 and it will only do about 2.5" at 100 yards, but my Winchester Model 75 Target gun will almost always blow 5 rounds into an inch at 100 yards.  The best five shot group was 1/2" at 100yards with CCI Mini Mag HP's.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Using Fed 22 (Fed 550 round box from Wally World) and iron sights, loop sling, I got a M-2 Springfield that shot a 1 1/2" group (vertical string) that was 1/2" tall at 100 yards.  It's me and my unsteadiness and in the hands of a better shot, I'm sure it can do better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont think cheap federal ammo is ever going to *reliably* do better than 1.5 MOA.  Just aint gonna happen.

I consistently get 2.5 to 3" groups at 100.... the .22LR round just isn't going to be a sub MOA round out to 100 yards, like it can be out to 50....

At least that is my experience.

I would really like to see someone who can *average* sub-MOA in *5* shot groups, with any .22LR....  especially cheap hi-vel ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a chance to try out a friends Savage heavy barreled bolt gun in .17 HRM last weekend. Even with the lawyers trigger ( approx. 7lb.) we both shot groups in the 3/4" range at 100 yds. At 50 yds. we made ratty holes. The rifle had a 3-9x40 scope. I have no doubt that a little work on the trigger, and some better optics, would reduce group size. Too bad ammo is $10 a box/50.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
although I've never shot a group at 100 yds With my 10/22 RBI, With the cheap tasco ($25 at dicks) and federal ammo, I can bust a clay every time at 100. so I'd guess I'm getting at least a 5" group. This is all offhand or sandbagged. I had some remington cheap stuff, and was lucky to hit at all with it. I could count nearly to two before seeing the impact.

edited to add:
When I zeroed at 50 yds prior to squirrel season, I got groups just around an inch with the same rifle, so in theory, I should get 2" groups at 100- in theory.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]
A few years ago I did some shooting at 100 yards with an Anchutz Model 54 Rifle using RWS R50 ammo and a 24 power target scope. I was shooting about one inch or a little less 10 shot groups. Any wind and the group starts to spread. I've got centerfire rifles that I would rebarrel if they ever shot that bad. The 22 rimfire is just showing it's age.

Freedom Isn't Free

Doug
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A few years ago I did some shooting at 100 yards with an Anchutz Model 54 Rifle using RWS R50 ammo and a 24 power target scope. I was shooting about one inch or a little less 10 shot groups. Any wind and the group starts to spread. I've got centerfire rifles that I would rebarrel if they ever shot that bad. The 22 rimfire is just showing it's age.
Doug
View Quote

Are you serious? Less than an inch at 100 yds isn't what you'd consider good? Man, I'd be happy as hell to have a 1" three shot group at 100 yds with a RF. Where in VA are you at? I've got to up my standards...
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont think cheap federal ammo is ever going to *reliably* do better than 1.5 MOA.  Just aint gonna happen.
View Quote
It reliably does 1.15" at *50* in my Marlin bolt-action.  That's 2.3 MOA, but I doubt it'd stay that good out to 100.  

Theoretically PowerPoints would be under 2" for me at 100, but I've never tried.  I think the Velocitor would be the best .22LR for 100 yards, in terms of trajectory.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I've customized my 10/22 with a trigger job and Kimber Custom bull barrel. Using Eley Target ammo I get 1/2" groups from the rest at 100 yards. One group I covered with a 45 ACP casing. I've gone thru a lot of expensive ammo to find that the Eley works the best in my gun. I am no good offhand though 1 1/2-3"at best.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Of course I'm serious. I'm talking about a $2000 target rifle and $9.00 a box target ammo with a  24 power scope that runs about $800 now. 22 Rifles are very ammo sensetive and I was testing different brands and lot numbers to see what shot best. When you are talking really high quality hardware and ammo I think minute of angle 10 shot groups are just so so. I don't trust 3 shot groups to tell you anything because you can get some very small groups out of rifles that won't shoot under a minute if you keep shooting for 5 or 10 shots.
For comparison I have bolt action .223 and .308 cal rifles that will shoot well under 1/2 minute with good ammo consistantly.
I live in Richmond and shoot at Black Creek and Cavalier Gun Club.

Freedom Isn't Free

Doug
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top