Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 10:26:21 AM EDT
I have a ton of Winchester LE only 115 +P+ 9mm from when I worked at the Sheriffs office and they still used 9mm's. I was going to load up a mag full for the wife to have in the house. I noticed on the box though, that it says "Pressure levels exceed industry standards, Use only in pistols". Now I am more than familiar with ammo, but not when it comes to pistol caliber carbines. I figure that the 9mm AR should be more than capable of handling this ammo, but just thought I'd double check first. Is there a reason I am not aware of as o why running hot ammo like this through it would be unsafe?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#1]
See no reason to "shy" away from using in a carbine, as the bolt weighs considerably more than a pistol slide, the chamber diameter of the barrel is roughly 1", where as a pistol chamber is a whole lot smaller. If all else fails, use it in an Uzi...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#2]
No worries.

Have you looked at the chamber of an OLY ARMS PCR-9?

It's a rifle caliber designed chamber adapted for pistol caliber.  It's substantially beefed up and the feed ramp area is fully supported.

Call Oly if you like.  But I've shot a good 3K of Fed HydraShoks from the DEA through mine.  Since it's a blowback system, hotter is better for reliability.

After all, NATO 9mm is doing 1299 fps and out of a carbine more than 1400 fps.

Shoot away.  I have.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Thats exactly what I was thinking. The chamber and bolt are more than twice the metal than a pistol. Just wanted to make sure I was thinking right. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got back from the Range,tried some +P+ 9mm in 3-Carbines,H&K94-A3,UZI Carbine,and my CAR15 OLYARMS
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Kula. I am going to run some through it just to check. I dont think it will be a problem though. We shot some pretty funky jhp's though it yesterday and it did fine. Have to hand it to Oly, this is a very feed reliable gun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
4 out of 4 Texans polled all agree that +p+ was made for subguns.  

Dale: yep
Boomhauer: yep
Bill: yep
Hank: Yep

There's even a 9mm ammo that is so hot it has a warning label saying shoot out of carbines only. I think its that famous batch of hertinberger.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't worry about shooting the hottest 9mm out of your Oly upper. They say shooting 45 Super out of their 45 ACP upper is fine, same should go for the 9mm.
FWIW, I just ordered a bunch of 45 Super from texas-ammo.com. Going to function/accuracy test it from my Oly 45acp upper soon as it comes in.
I may use it for whitetail deer next season.
1400 fps 700 Foot pounds out of a 5" bbl...11.5" bbl should be a real hum-dinger!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top