Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2002 5:56:29 PM EDT
I modified a Ramline 10/22 mag loader to load the Ciener mags. Works pretty well. It's made from type I PVC and took about 2 hours on the mill. It takes about 20 sec to load 30 rounds.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy named Hays did the same thing except he used some sort of clear acrylic to make the part that holds the top of the Ciener mag against the part where the rounds are inserted.  Actually, yours looks better, because his had the parts to either side of the top of the adapter on the mag, but it was not held in place.  You had to apply pressure to the mag to hold it against the part with the bullets in it.  Yours is cut to hold the adapter in place, and that minimizes movement, which would make yours more reliable as I think the movement with the Hays model made it difficult to keep the proper angle and caused reliability problems.  A lot of people bought his units, but a lot of people complained about the reliability.  He quit making them, and there is a big demand for these now.  People have really started taking this Ciener conversion kit seriously now that the 30 rd mags are no longer available from Ciener.  If you want to start making them, you could offer them for sale and advertise on the Bowers board too.  I think Hays used to sell his for about $65 or so.  You could probably get more for them.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are going to sell these I would be interested.

If not I would like to hear some more detailed information and/or pictures so I could try and make one myself, my thumb gives out way before my desire to stop shooting.

Where can you get a Ramline loader to start with?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a Market for these, providing they work.  Hays were not 100% wokring according to some people who I talked to who had them.

You make them work, you will get people buying them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:21:04 AM EDT
[#4]
It works.  I would say it messes up every 7 or 8 mags, but this may be caused by me not pushing the plunger in all the way (I tend to load in a hurry).  I have more issues with the upper part of the loader.  It's old, probably 6 years and has been used a bunch.

I would need the customer's base to modify.  Milling out the pvc is easy, the hard part was setting the alignment, which takes about half of the over all time to build one.  I have not ruled out selling the conversion yet.

As for buying the loaders new, I see them at gun shows, but I do not know if they are still being made.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice Macloud.  Keep us in mind.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Hayes' mag loaders jammed about every 6 or 7 ROUNDS, not like yours jamming in about every 6 or 7 MAGS.  I would be interested in getting two of these from you.  I have two of Hayes' loaders I could send to you to have you pop off his acrylic holding pieces and put on your PVC shaped to hold the adapter piece.  Let me know, and I will ship them to you.  You can pretty much name your price as no one else is doing this.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I had purchased a Hayes loader and had problems then made my own which works great.  I made a few more for some friends.  I also posted info on how to make them here before.
I think I may have emailed Macloud on this.  The trick to making them is that the mag needs to be elevated .40" from the base.  I use .5" plexiglass.  Mill out .1" for the mag to rest on which leave a .1" shoulder to keep the mag in place.  My design is using blocks instead of one solid block.  I think this is an advantage over using a solid block because sometimes when you don't have a mag in the loader rounds fall out of the hopper and onto the block.  With seperate blocks, the rounds can drop between the blocks and you can continue loading without wasting time getting the round out of the way.  Yes, its not that big of a deal its just a little annoyance that I don't like but the seperate blocks fixes.
I made my loaders with a mill but anyone can do it themselves with a file and a hacksaw.  Get some plexiglass and cut some blocks like I describe above.  You can use MEK (Methyl Ethylene Ketone) from Home Depot to melt/bond the plexiglass together.  It sets pretty fast but not too fast so you can have the loader aligned properly.  If you mess up, you can rip off the blocks and start over.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Lets do this.

I need a few days to make a couple of jigs so production will be easier and all the parts will be the same.  I will also need to see how much time I need to make the part and modify the Ramline loader.  This will allow me to get a realistic time estimate so I can formulate a price.

Once this is done, I can start taking orders and get these things rolling.  I want a few volunteers to test these in the field before I go public with this.  This way, there will be some outside testing.

I also need to figure out how I want to do payment, I am thinking paypal right now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:03:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Sign my up, I'll pay to be your guinea pig.

My throbbing thumb awaits.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I will volunteer to do some testing.  I will also be willing to pay by Paypal.  If you don't want to get burned, then only use Paypal and Money Orders.  

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will volunteer to do some testing.  I will also be willing to pay by Paypal.  If you don't want to get burned, then only use Paypal and Money Orders.  
View Quote

You can STILL get burned with PayPal.  They are VERY painful to work with on chargebacks...

I do not think very highly of them, as many others do not either.  My 2 cents...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top