Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 3:29:27 PM EDT
We got to run my wifes 9mm Oly through its paces today for the first time. Is a standard 16inch A2 complete Oly. Took about 15 rounds, firing 3 -- 5 shot groups, to zero. Was almost dead on from the factory. Zerod it at 50 yards, and even at 10 yards it was almost shooting point of aim. Used two factory modified Sten mags. Dont have our SOCOM block yet, so we couldnt test any of our unmodified mags. Have to say, we were very impressed with this rifle. We zeroed it right before our cabine club match, and my wife then shot the match with it. For her first time on a rifle period, she did outstanding. She shot better than half the guys there. One of the courses she made a 5 shot group that was about 4 inches, at 30 yards. It was also a fast five shots and to the head as well. Had ZERO malfunctions with it. Shot everything from 115 fmj, 147 flat point fmj, to a wide variety of new and OLD jhp's of various configurations. Again, the gun was flawless. She is now hooked on shooting it. She was very apprehensive about shooting in the match today, since it was her first time, and also her first time on a rifle, and this rifles first time out. Needless to say it was a very fun experience for her, and she is really wanting to fix it up now. Quite a few people have given me grief over letting her buy a 9mm rifle, and even suggesting it to her. The usual comments of if your gonna get a rifle get it chambered for a rifle round, yada yada. THe bottome line is, her handguns are all 9mm. This keeps all her ammo the same. There is NO recoil to the gun, so its very easy for her to learn on. I would rather he have a 9mm rifle that I know she will want to shoot and become proficient with, than one that she doesnt like to shoot and just sits in tha safe. As far as the 9mm's effectiveness, lets just say that I doubt that 30 rounds of 124 gr +P 9mm out of that carbine is anything to laugh at. Even a 115 fmj at 100 yards would be 9mm's larger than what I am confortable being shot at with, espcially from a praticed marksman/woman. This is the perfect long gun for her. Heck, even I had fun shooting it. Have some cool plans in store for this gun that I think will make it that much better.
I only have one concern. The two factory mags worked extremely well. They were perfect. I am wondering if we should just get our others modified like the factory ones and forget about the SOCOM block, or not. Going to have to think on that. Anyway, just wanted to give a report. For anyone out there considering and Oly, its got 4 thumbs up from here. Thanks to all those who recommended it when we were shopping. We almost got a Ruger PC9. I think those are nice guns, but the Oly is just a big step above.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Great post!!

I was looking at getting one of these rifles myself.

I was wondering where you got it and how much. I see them on a couple of auction sites and equip exchange for around $700. What is the difference between the modified and unmodified mags???

Please reply...thanks!!!

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
My local dealer got it for me. $700 is about right around my area. The modified mags are where Olympic welds a piece of square tubing onto the back of a standard Sten mag, and cuts a mag catch slot it the side of the tubing, alowing it to lock into the receiver via the stock mag catch. Standard Sten mags without the modification require the use of a SOCOM block.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
You will likely want to get Oly mag loader for $15.95.  Cheaper than everyone elses and it works great!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You will likely want to get Oly mag loader for $15.95.  Cheaper than everyone elses and it works great!
View Quote

You can say that again. Will probably get one and maybe a ring loader for the unmodified ones if we decide to get the SOCOM block. My right thumb is killing me this morning. [>(]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Tapco was selling 10 sten mags and a bag for $24.95.

I ordered two sets and a SOCOM block.

You'll have to clean them and tweak the mag springs a bit to get perfect feeding, but hey, you saved a LOT of $.

I'm happy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Tapco's been out of Sten mags for a few weeks now.  They're no where to be found on their website anymore [:(]

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
We have plenty of Sten mags that we got from Tapco a while back. Thinking of just sending them to Olympic and have them weld the tubing on them and skip the SOCOM block.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I ended up with 74 good mags from Tapco.
Is that wrong? [:D]

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That would explain why they ran out and the rest of us didnt get that many.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Mag loader? what's wrong with a dowel rod and a allen wrench?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mag loader? what's wrong with a dowel rod and a allen wrench?
View Quote

[?]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Oly 9mm's are awesome.  The socom block is good, but I know some of the guys here have made a two piece adapter for sten's that allows you to use the mag-release button to drop the mag... I'm working on building one in the next few weeks.

Oh, get the magloader... you will not regret the purchase!

My record: 32 rounds in a sten mag in 17 seconds!  But you'll burn a lot more ammo 'cuz it's so easy to load em up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 65 Stens...... [:)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have 65 Stens...... [:)]
View Quote

Between you and Gloftoe, no wonder there arent any mags left to be had.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Hawkeye, what's the question? [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oly 9mm's are awesome.  The socom block is good, but I know some of the guys here have made a two piece adapter for sten's that allows you to use the mag-release button to drop the mag... I'm working on building one in the next few weeks.

Oh, get the magloader... you will not regret the purchase!

My record: 32 rounds in a sten mag in 17 seconds!  But you'll burn a lot more ammo 'cuz it's so easy to load em up.
View Quote

I am going to get the loader from Oly first that you can use with their modified mags. Depending on whether I just get our other mags modified by Oly, or get a block to use them without being modified, will determine if I get some other loader. I have heard good things about the ring loaders.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hawkeye, what's the question? [}:D]
View Quote

What exactly is your proceedure for using the dowel and allen wrench to load the mags with? I have a coupole of ideas but................
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, the suspense is over.
Use a dowel rod 3/8 to compress the follower and spring to bottom and then insert allen wrench in bottom hole in back of mag to retain
follower and spring. Now start loading ammo ( tilt mag to about 45 degrees) until full then remove wrench. How's that for pain free? Enjoy.
And I have 36 mags [):)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OK, the suspense is over.
Use a dowel rod 3/8 to compress the follower and spring to bottom and then insert allen wrench in bottom hole in back of mag to retain
follower and spring. Now start loading ammo ( tilt mag to about 45 degrees) until full then remove wrench. How's that for pain free? Enjoy.
And I have 36 mags [):)]
View Quote

Son-of-a.............
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm gonna have to try that...
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I was going to get some of my stens converted too, but Oly wants a lot of money for welding that block on the back and refinishing, $25 per mag!  For the price of converting two mags you can buy a SOCOM.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:19:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Here are a few pics of her shooting it in the match.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/p002bfd959ae44bdf83da07d43d888f95/fcdc0261.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/pbffa993096e5266961924c8da050f8d0/fcdc0cfe.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/pa5afad57e87a2dafe1110aad85346196/fcdc0a8e.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice pic's Hawkeye, and Boom Stick the Socom block is the only way to. Any body try that dowel rod trick?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I just tried the dowel and allen wrench mag loading trick.

Thank GAWD I haven't spent the money on a mag loader yet!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Mmmmmm, first, Kaliburz must find brass dowel....I know I have one...

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#26]
No need for brass dowel, wood works just fine and are cheap to replace.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#27]
For that matter I found my trusty old ruler that I use to unload mags works great for this style of loading ...

Tell a man he has to have a loader and he will buy it with his ammo money...

Give him a stick and he will buy more ammo...

Ted...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the dowel and allen wrench trick!

I only got 36 mags from Tapco during the 6 plus bag for $9.95 deal.

I was thinkiing about giving them a Perma-Silk refinish. Anyone tried that?

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:47:45 AM EDT
[#29]
David, I asked about that same thing in the mag forum. Got mixed replies. I dont think that the PS will adhere well to the steel Sten mags though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks Hawkeye.

Maybe I'll jsut try it on a couple and see what happens. I already have all the necessary materials here.

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I would be very interested in knowing how they turn out. I need to order some Perma Silk for some AR mags I want to refinish, and if it works on the Stens, I will order enough for them as well at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll do a half-dozen this weekend.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Having owned the Oly 9mm system as well as the Colt, RRA, and ASA I have to lean toward the Colt system as copied by RRA and ASA using the removable insert with ejector installed and the Uzi magazines. You pay $10 a pop for the 25 round Uzi magazines but I have found the system to be more reliable and more durable. The Oly system is heavier due to the heavier barrel. I did not care for the wire type ejector although it seemed to work. The ASA and RRA systems are nearly identical in every way and can be had for under $600 with one magazine and the magwell insert.

No need to add a allen head to the magazine and you can use your mag release button to drop the magazines, Now, I am betting you can use this mag block with the Oly system as well by removing the ejector. If the SOCOM block is the same money (and if it is the same one I used in my Oly system that was held in place by the mag catch and held the Sten mag in place via a handle the clicked under the allen head screw) I would go for the insert that uses the Uzi magazines. Uzi magazines are a bit more expensive but after loading a few Sten magazines the cost becomes less of an issue. The mag blocks run about $100 (a bit more I think) for the ASA in Brownells. The RRA unit is the same design for more money and is likely made by the same company.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No need to add a allen head to the magazine
View Quote

Not required on sten mags with the oly system and socom mag block, either - only the original Oly mag block required the allen head for the sten mags, and they haven't made that for at least 5 years now.

Factory Oly mags now have bar channel welded to the back and use the AR mag release - but cost $65 a pop, so most Oly users opt for the socom block and unmodified stens.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#35]
This may be a really dumb question, but aren't the modified Sten mags with the welded-on square tubing awkward to carry in a mag pouch?

I have a preban Oly CAR-9 with the SOCOM block and unmodified Sten mags.  The mags fit well in a generic black nylon SMG mag pouch.

Gabe
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#36]
For those interested in refinishing the mags - I've used Brownells Aluma-Hyde II Parkerizing Gray with great success. Heat the stripped mag bodies in the oven for about 5 minutes at about 100 degrees. Just make sure you've washed and rinsed as much cosmoline off as you can. Even after heating - there will still be some seeping out.

I hung the mags, through the top witness hole with a paper clip in a cardboard box - spray a couple coats and presto. Finish is awesome and very hard to scratch.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Hows the corrosion proctection with the Aluma-Hyde?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was thinking about giving them a Perma-Silk refinish. Anyone tried that?
View Quote

I did this to one of mine just to see how it would turn out.  I didn't like it all that much, the perma-slik finish would rub off the steel and leave my hands all covered with it.  I ended up getting them parkerized and am really satisfied with how they came out.  They look almost new.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I also have an Oly post-ban rifle in 9mm.  I love it!  As a matter of fact, I just purchased an Oly 11.5" 9mm upper to use on my RLL equiped Bushmaster lower.  It came with an Oly mag block and 10 modified magazines.  I have 3 of the new style and they work just fine.  I will have to try that dowel rod thing......
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top