Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2002 2:56:19 PM EDT
Picking up some 9mm Sten mags for my Oly Arms 9mm AR.

How many mags do you guys work with?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
First, go to TAPCO at; www.tapco.com/search_results.asp?new=yes and buy 10 sten mags in a haversack for $24.99. This is a good start!
Then go to A.M.I. at;www.ima-usa.com/p6c.html and scroll down to the "British box type sten mag loader", it's the ring type sten mag loader for $29.95, the loader will let you actually load the mags and save your fingers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I like a minimum of six mags for use at the range.  However, if you ever think of using the weapon in a "combat" or "leantimes" WTSHTF (When The Shit Hits The Fan) situation, then I would have about 10 to 15.  Don't forget to look into getting some of the Lanchester 50 round mags.  They look just like the Sten mags at the top, but they hold 50 rounds and are much longer.  You can get these from IMA for about $35 each.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
if u dont already have it get the socom mag block
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
But will I need 10 Sten mags?

I agree on the Sten Mag loader.  Is the ring/box type sold by IMA the best loader?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Socom block waiting at the store for me to.

This guy is great at Bullseye in Tacoma WA - Sean.

Seting me up on my Oly Arms PCR-9, Oly Arms modified Sten mag, hard case, with sten mags, socom block, softsided case, carry forward handle, mounting my 42mm red dot and so forth.  

But he couldn't find a loader for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The only reason I said get the 10 stens in a haversack is because that's a special that TAPCO has right now -- with the shipping I think it totals out to to around $34. You can buy better (cleaner) mags but you can't buy cheaper. I forgot about the SOCOM block -- the block lets you use the unmodified sten mags -- I think the Oly modified mags cost a good piece of change.
EDIT TO ADD NOTE
By the way, shooting a 9mm AR is very addictive and very shortly you will understand why you will need lots of mags.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
As stated, shooting the 9mm AR is very addictive.  If you shoot full auto, it is even worse.  Here is a picture of one of my full auto 9mm Oly Arms weapons with the SOCOM mag block and a Lanchester mag in it.  Next to the weapon is a Lanchester mag that had the adaptor put on it by Oly Arms.  They charge $25 for each mag to do that.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Geeez that's long. If the gun jammed you can use it for a club!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got my two bags of sten mags in from Tapco. Out of twenty, there was one that was pretty bad off in the rust department. I'll write that one off. But, for less than $3 each, I am not complaining. Half an hour in the blasting cabinet, and they are clean, straight mags, that work.

Maybe someone can answer this though. How is Olympic allowed to "modify" the mags? I assume because the gun can still be used in the sten, if the welds are ground off. But, the BATF considers a welded on brake as being permanent. That's some backwards thinking if true.

Anyway, could I weld the square tubing on myself to the back of the sten mags? Oly does it for around $25 on your mags. I can get a few feet of square tubing, for a few bucks, and cut and weld the blocks for nothing. Hmmm?

Maybe I'll find my local freindly ATF agent and ask about this. I could have one piece Sten mags for the Oly for less than $10, and Oly wants $65 for theirs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Is using the SOCOM block out of the question? There would be no need to modify your mags.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#11]
No, not out of the question. I have a block, but I still manage to hit the button now and then. Plus, more just a question of is it allowed, since Oly does it also.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]
The stens are SOOOOO plentiful and cheap, but they may not be one day, so I suggest getting as many as you want. TAPCO has great deals, but if you want new one's, try CDNNinvestments.
Sten mags @ CDNN $6.99ea
Lanchester Mags $35ea
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe that Oly Arms gets away with this because the magazine itself is not altered.  You could take a screwdriver and probably wedge it between the adapter and the mag and hit it with a hammer and remove the adapter.  At any rate, you can put this adapter on yourself.  Oly Arms does not have some kind of special permission to do this.  Just for now ATF does not consider adding the adapter as modifying the mag so that it could not be used in the original weapon is was made for.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
the "British box type sten mag loader", it's the ring type sten mag loader for $29.95, the loader will let you actually load the mags and save your fingers.

The Olympic laoder is $15.95!!!  I would suggest ordering it.  You can see it at www.triplebreakproducts.com/pistol_mag_loader.htm

Sincerely,
Mark Buda
Triple Break Products
[email protected]
http://www.TripleBreakProducts.com
(603) 424-0923
FAX: (603) 429-0479
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Update:

I just picked up (10) Sten mags from Bull's Eye when I was there.  Best to get them all up front.

Greasy and dirty but now clean.

Was at Home Depot and bought a 11/16" inch square wood block of one foot.  Wrapped a couple turns of duck tape and wala!  I can load load my  unmodified Sten mags with my Oly Arms box mag feeder!  

Maybe not as fast as the ring/brass knuckles kind but for $1 for the wood and a $16 mag loader that already came with the OA PCR-9.

Just an idea.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy 30 or so mags from Tapco... it's not like it's going to break the bank, and you don't have to buy them all at once. I bought a bunch and then had them cleaned and parkerized for about $3 a mag. For around $6 a mag I have sten's that look brand new, match my gun's finish and function flawlessly. That's tough to beat!
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Gunbert,

I was thinking about parking my mags myself but that price you mentioned looks good. Who did the parking for you and is there a minimum?
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Gunbert,

I was thinking about parking my mags myself but that price you mentioned looks good. Who did the parking for you and is there a minimum?

Send me an email. I'll contact the guy and find out if that was the going rate or if he was hooking me up, since the price he did it for was about half the other prices I was quoted. If he's ok with it I'll get you his email address.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey MACVSOG,

Have you found a mag pouch/holder for those Lancaster mags?  If so what, where, and how much?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm having 40 Sten mags blasted and parked this week.  Can't wait for my upper to get here.  With as cheap as the mags are, you just HAVE to buy a bunch.  Figure you can load them all at home, then there won't be any wasted time at the range!

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#21]
But where are you guys getting these mags blasted and parked?

I'd love to have it done.

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
But where are you guys getting these mags blasted and parked?

I'd love to have it done.

I found a local guy that was willing to do it for me.  Damn nice guy, too.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm only got my original 10 and one that I picked up that will be my "shorty".

I'll get more, pay day (had to skip last payday...)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top