Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2015 8:49:16 PM EDT
Why is the bolt release spring larger on one end than the other? Thanks for schooling me.

Steve.............
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You have the wrong spring in that location. The spring with one end larger than the other is the DISCONNECTOR spring. The bolt catch spring should be the same diameter all along it's length. I have never seen the spring with the large end in any of the many, many ARs I have built or worked on.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why is the bolt release spring larger on one end than the other? Thanks for schooling me.

Steve.............
View Quote

I believe thats the disconecter spring

The bolt catch spring is not tapered
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Believe it or not I actually knew that was where the spring goes. I had just installed my latest bolt release and I guess it was still stuck in my head (thick as it is).  So my question should have been why is the disconnector spring tapered, it would seem to work if it wasn't tapered.

Steve.......
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#4]
For positive retention of the disconnector spring in the trigger slot. It is not a spring that I would think would be good for it to work itself out as that could enable the disconnector to fail. Not something you want happening ever.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Disconnect spring - to ensure it gets installed, and ease of assembly.

Same goes for the extractor spring.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Doggone it....I just finished up a build today.

DON'T DO THAT TO ME!  I just had thoughts of drifting that stupid roll pin out to check to see if I had the spring in the right way.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top