Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2015 11:53:32 PM EDT
I finally decided to join up on here and have a question about stocks, I have a 6920 socom and want to replace the current stock with either a magpul sl or a bcm gunfighter. Which stock would give a better sight picture with irons? And I'm sorry if I missed the introduction section of the website.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
those 2 stocks are honestly almost identical imo, and this basically is the introduction area.

of those 2 i'd [personally go for the bcm, i like their locking system, and it's modular, so in the event they ever release new modules, you may be able to swap some parts out to your preference.

alternatively, the best sight picture means the best cheek weld, and to me that means a sopmod stock, by either b5 systems, or LMT. you can get them with or without storage compartments.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the Mission first line of stocks.  Very light and great cheek weld.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks sauce boss, the b5's don't look too bad. I will probably pick one up. I do have another question though, I only plan on using iron sights on this rifle am I better off buying a cheaper rifle for irons only or sticking with this one?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks sauce boss, the b5's don't look too bad. I will probably pick one up. I do have another question though, I only plan on using iron sights on this rifle am I better off buying a cheaper rifle for irons only or sticking with this one?
View Quote

that is a great rifle for irons only and if some day you want to put a red dot or something on it that would be fine too.  The b5 sopmod is a great stock for the use you are looking for.  

here is a rifle that I used for iron sights and it has a b5 sopmod on it.  If you have facial hair know that they don't tear out your face nearly as bad as some others do.  A big thing to look into and get opinions on is how well they lock up.  B5s do not have any special locking mechanisms on them but they are also cheaper than most other fancier stocks and quite honestly I don't notice the difference or the difference doesn't seem worth while.

I would say definitely grab a colt gun if that is what you are interested in.  Know that generally you are not spending more or less money on accuracy in this case.  If you are new to the AR15 this is a fantastic route to go you will get a rock solid rifle.  Now just grab a bunch of ammo and learn how to properly use iron sights and you will be way ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
iron sights are just fine on any AR as far as i'm concerned. as long as it's night a fighting gun.  range use it's not an issue, because you have time to aim and take your shots.  if you and someone across the room both had a gun and whoever shoots first wins, i'd want a red dot or an acog using the BAC, because in that case time is very important.

so if you have a handgun or a shotgun for home defense already, irons are perfectly fine. the socom is a nice gun to dress up though, so if you were to end up with a more basic rifle as a secondary, i'd say irons on the cheaper of the 2, and a nice optics set up on the nicer gun, but again there's nothing wrong with just irons, people have been shooting AR's and every other rifle with irons for 100+ years now and i don't see much of a reason to change that.

as for stock lock up, there's really not much of an issue with anything better than the milspec m4 stocks as far as i'm concerned. pulling the rifle in to your shoulder removes almost all of the play in my experience, so unless you're doing precision shooting, it's irrelevant, and if you're doing precision, a fixed stock is really the bestway to go anyways.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top