Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2015 8:10:34 PM EDT
I have decided that I would like to build an AR-15. I've had a stag arms for about 7 or 8 years that has a 16'' barrel and a holo sight on it so I am not completely new to the black rifle. This one I want to make into a precision rifle that will achieve at least sub-MOA accuracy. Being that at that level if precision requires a good base and here is my issue, I have no idea where to start or even ( I am assuming it does) matter. I will want it to be stripped so I can put in the internals that I want. What better place to look then here with the experts right?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll get lots of advice and hopefully it's more detailed than mine...

4 pieces NOT to buy "value".

1.   Barrel
2.  Trigger
3.   BCG
4.   Optics

Invest right in those areas and you can get the job done.

On precision I prefer billet, but it isn't an issue either way.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll get lots of advice and hopefully it's more detailed than mine...

4 pieces NOT to buy "value".

1.   Barrel
2.  Trigger
3.   BCG
4.   Optics

Invest right in those areas and you can get the job done.

On precision I prefer billet, but it isn't an issue either way.

View Quote

Agreed.

For a "precision" rifle, I'd even go so far as to re-order those components according to what you should spend the most on:

1. Optics
2. Barrel
3. Trigger
4. BCG

Sounds like a fun build. I'm already planning my next one and I don't even have the first one done yet
 I'm thinking of an 18" SPR-ish coyote rifle along with some precision shooting for fun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]

I think the lower is something you don't have to spend a lot of money on. I have many lowers, some I spent over $100 on and some $40.

Aero Precision is my first choice if you want it to be absolutely perfect and PSA is my second.

my favorite lowers are  Kaiser Defense, but they are not made anymore. Most say ugly, but I say beautiful

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=43  This is a Aero blem. I have one of these and its perfect, I cant find a blem on it.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10445/category/4282/  PSA Blem. I have one and I cant find the blem. $50 plus shipping/

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgive my ignorance, What is bcg?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Forgive my ignorance, What is bcg?
View Quote
Bolt Carrier Group

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]
we have a precision rifle section, you might want to check out for ideas. http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/16_Precision_Rifles.html
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:45:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome aboard. You will get different veiws and opinions on the order of importance. But yes Barrel, Optics, Bcg, and trigger do play a huge roll in accuracy.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top