Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2014 2:53:03 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I am looking to a 16"-18" barrel for a combination of target practice, semi long range shooting (300 to 500 yards) and maybe varmint hunting. There are so many barrel weights available I don't know where to start. I read that some barrels have the m4 contour but I don't know what a m4 contour barrel looks like. Thick, thin, etc...??? Can someone recommend a barrel weight for my purpose or at least help me understand barrel weights, maybe like a burn chart for reloading? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Bull; very heavy, straight, usually stainless steel
HBAR; (heavy barrel) thinner than a bull, thickest at the chamber, narrowing in stages to the front
Government; M16 style, thin under the hand guards
M4: Government, but 14.5"
Lightweight; thin all the way
SOCOM; modified HBAR
M4A1; SOCOM  
Sounds to me like you will be doing mostly long-range, high-accuracy shooting, which basically eliminates the thin barrels and short combat barrels. Maybe something like a fluted, 18" stainless HBAR in 1:8 twist, mid or rifle gas length with a Wylde chamber would be cool for your uses.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly what I was thinking.

I recommend looking at http://www.ar15performance.com

They have an 18" fluted barrel...1:8 twist, 5r rifled, melonited 4150 CMV.

You can spend a lot more money but really not have much to show for it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all for the help.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bull; very heavy, straight, usually stainless steel

HBAR; (heavy barrel) thinner than a bull, thickest at the chamber, narrowing in stages to the front

Government; M16 style, thin under the hand guards

M4: Government, but 14.5"

Lightweight; thin all the way

SOCOM; modified HBAR

M4A1; SOCOM  

Sounds to me like you will be doing mostly long-range, high-accuracy shooting, which basically eliminates the thin barrels and short combat barrels. Maybe something like a fluted, 18" stainless HBAR in 1:8 twist, mid or rifle gas length with a Wylde chamber would be cool for your uses.
View Quote
Your selections look ordered, so I would suggest putting an M4A1 SOCOM ahead of the government profile.  The extra weight on the end of the barrel does nothing for you.  It is parasitic weight.  The extra weight of the M4A1 is nearest the chamber.  This gets more control of the barrel whip effect.  Going by contour only that would suggest a more accurate contour.  However, there is so much more to accuracy, buy a good quality barrel manufacture over all else.  Then look at the profiles.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Google "ar barrel profile".  When I first started the endless variations of length, gas lengths, barrel profiles, material, coatings/finishes and not to mention manufacturers was overwhelming.  It's still overwhelming.    Neverthless, buying quality from a known, respected barrel maker makes sense.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top