Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2014 11:11:56 PM EDT
Wondering if I should buy a complete AR, buy complete upper/lower separate, or have a local gun shop build one?    what are pros/cons of each in this marketplace?  I'm not real interested in building one myself at this time.

the two complete ARs i was looking at are:

SW M&P TS....a lighter gun and long troy handguard

stag arms 3TM w/ 1/7 plus package.   diamondhead vrst long handguard

I think they are around 1200 bucks

could i get any better spec gun buying separate upper/lower  or having a builder put one together?

thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
MAKE

there is a tax on complete rifles you can asvoid it by buying an upper and lower separately .

also complete rifles are almost always 16" carbines length

so buying parts let s you choose - better triggers, better springs, ambi safety,  and lets you learn how to really keep your rifle running    

lowers are easy to put together the hardest parts are the forward pin detent and the trigger guard.  you need very few tools. if budget is important than a $90 lower and a$ 70 match trigger and $60 lower parts kits then 80-120 for the stock kit you can have a complete lower for $250 with a good trigger and good stock
uppers are harder.  but if you want a 14.5 match barrel you have to build it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, having anyone build it for you other than for free, is ratarded.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MAKE

there is a tax on complete rifles
View Quote

Is it not just a sales tax? The same as if you were to buy a $800 safe?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First off, having anyone build it for you other than for free, it's ratarded.

View Quote

wat he said...
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
ok, anyone in the minneapolis metro area wanna help me build one?  :)     I have no tools and dont know a dang thing about building one.   I could only put a complete upper/lower together, and then shoot it! ;)
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
MAKE

there is a tax on complete rifles you can asvoid it by buying an upper and lower separately .

View Quote

What?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MAKE

there is a tax on complete rifles

No. It's built into the price of the rifle from the manufacturer. It's called federal excise tax and I think it's like 11%.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#8]
There are several brands in the $1200 range that I would be looking at, some new/some used. Neither Stag nor S&W are not one of them. Go look for a used BCM, DD, or LMT on the EE and see what comes up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

First off, having anyone build it for you other than for free, is ratarded.

View Quote
Irony is ironic.

OP, if you can't or don't want to build it yourself, you can still save a lot if you buy a complete upper and complete lower. To assemble them, all you do is slide out two pins and pop the upper on the lower.

Also this should be in the AR Basics forum.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Build.

Buy a lower and parts kit, then buy a complete upper from somewhere. All you need to build the lower is a hammer, a castle nut wrench, and a punch for putting in pins.

I built my first AR ever using an Anderson mfg lower, lower build kit from red barn armory customized with a better trigger and guard, magpul grip and houge stock, and a complete BCM upper.  All in all I have about $900 in it and it's a Damn nice gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Build.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Go to Atomic Tactical in Bloomington. There are some really nice guys there who will help you go through your build step by step.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:46:44 AM EDT
[#13]
If you have zero experience in the platform it may make sense to buy a complete rifle first, get familiar, then get into building later. Building makes sense to me now but when I first got into the platform I would have been lost if I tried to build but ymmv.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go to Atomic Tactical in Bloomington. There are some really nice guys there who will help you go through your build step by step.
View Quote

funny you mention that, I stopped in there with a couple buddies after a local show, but nobody ever followed up with me.   was strange.   they had my number and email and i sent them a couple emails after not hearing from them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:40:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

funny you mention that, I stopped in there with a couple buddies after a local show, but nobody ever followed up with me.   was strange.   they had my number and email and i sent them a couple emails after not hearing from them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly recommend spending more time physically in the shop as their communication isn't always perfect. They have lots of good resources and experience to draw upon.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#16]
My vote goes to BUILD. You will learn how the platform works VERY quickly and have that "I built (assembled) this" pride. I've tried, and with VERY careful sourcing, you could build an upper for about only $10 cheaper than you could buy it (from sources like PSA, RF, etc). I'd at LEAST build the lower (that will EASILY save you $, as most complete lowers are grossly overpriced).
Whatever portion you'd build... it would be learning as well. You can't put a price on confidence in your firearm (and knowing how to care for, maintain, and fix it).
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#17]
First, don't pay anyone money to build you a gun. You are gonna get raped on that deal.
Second, what is your budget? Advice is going to differ based on how much you are going to spend.  There are some really good options for a complete rifle for the $1200 you mentioned.  If you are looking to spend less than that, you are hard to beat the value of buying a complete upper and lower from PSA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the ideas!   are there specialized tools to build a lower?   Sounds like at least buying the complete upper is the way to go.  

I have a hard time going back into a business that I stopped in before and nobody got back to me. atomic

budget, well, looking for bang for the buck in the 1200 range.   if there's a gotta-have for a little bit more, thats ok.  If I can getter done for a bit less, bonus.   Looking for the sweet spot of a solid rifle for a fair price.

May also consider a tavor at a bit more around 1600.   Is that a 4 letter word around here? haha
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#20]
If you buy one, leave it alone, because you're otherwise wasting money that could have gone towards a build.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]
What he really meant, was that you can avoid sales tax by buying everything but the lower out of state.  Buy a lower locally, pay tax on just that part.  Or buy it all out of state, and give some money to your favorite FFL instead.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]
PSA has some good kit prices from time to time and you can buy a good lower for $80.00 or so (I just bought a Bushmaster lower @ $49,95 from Brownells) - all in all you could build an economical quality AR and have some $$$ left over for ammo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#23]
OP, you have a lot to learn. Look at the ITS Tactical series of videos where he explains and walks you through the process.

Also, see that orange button on the top where it says "build your rifle"?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Or go to the CDNN Sports site...one of the biggest online wholesalers.  Right now they have tons of Colts, Armalites, DPMS, Bushmasters, and many others in 5.56 and 7.62 in carbine or rifle lengths from $999 and down.  Building an AR can be quite fun and satisfying, but you don't sound that gung-ho about that endeavor anyway...so just go find a good rifle at a good cost and be happy.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top