Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2014 3:17:09 PM EDT
Hello,

I've got a California Torque Products 10 - 70 In-Lbs torque driver and would like to know if it will be sufficient for working on my AR15.  I will be mounting optics and doing basic maintenance.  Also, what other important tools might I need.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
So, it is in inch pounds? Or, is it foot pounds (in. lbs. or ft. lbs.)?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
70 inch lbs is only a little under 6ft lbs, ain't going to do much good for your AR needs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It is in In/Lbs.  Is this incorrect for scope mount torque values?  I know the barrel bolts are higher than what this provides with its limit at 70.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my trusty 10-100 Ft/Lbs Craftsman for the real wrenchin'!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Inch lbs for almost everything except barrel,then you need ft lbs for it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Inch lbs for almost everything except barrel,then you need ft lbs for it.
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
To be more correct, your torque driver is fine for anything you've mentioned you plan to do.  It's way too light for barrels or receiver extensions (AKA "buffer tubes").  But optics cry out for quality, precise torque, and that's what you stated you were looking at using it for.

To install a barrel you'll need a wrench that reads at least 30 foot pounds and goes up to at least 80 foot pounds.  Receiver extensions are torqued at about 40 foot pounds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To be more correct, your torque driver is fine for anything you've mentioned you plan to do.  It's way too light for barrels or receiver extensions (AKA "buffer tubes").  But optics cry out for quality, precise torque, and that's what you stated you were looking at using it for.

To install a barrel you'll need a wrench that reads at least 30 foot pounds and goes up to at least 80 foot pounds.  Receiver extensions are torqued at about 40 foot pounds.
View Quote

All of this is 100% correct.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]
i have honestly never used an inch pounds driver...i just...tourque my rings down and just have a good feel for it lol...i probably should get a inch  pounds driver.  I just use a good old regular tourque wrench for the barrell nut.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top