Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2014 9:10:02 PM EDT
I'm starting to build my first AR (by starting I mean I just ordered the lower receiver today), any tips or things to look out for on my first build?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
read reviews.  Generally when people buy really cheap or garbage products there are already dozens or even hundreds of conversations about it that they simply failed to do a google search on.  Parts are very cheap and available right now there is no reason to go very bottom of the barrel as those can be easily had.  There is no reason to jump on a 'flash' sale as you really should research every purchase carefully first go around.  This goes down to every pin tube and rail.
View Quote

+1 to this .. read read read it does wonders. There's so much info here. Even with the military background and job I had, I still have learned new stuff here.. Have fun and take your time and don't worry you'll probably end up building more then 1.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Determine what you are going to do with your rifle and buy/build accordingly.

While they all may look similar to some and the parts are pretty much interchangeable, ARs can if not should be purpose built (e.g. hunting, self/home defense, competition, range use, etc.).
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the site!

Dave N
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
howdy! you should get into the "buy once cry once" thought process. Wait a few weeks to get what you want other than settling for something cheaper. Enjoy the build. I highly recommend watching NSZ85 on youtube for the build.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome!

What lower did you get?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a Stag Arms lower, I've heard good things about them
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got a Stag Arms lower, I've heard good things about them
View Quote

They are one of the sponsors here and have great customer service from what I hear.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Biggest advice.. buy another lower.. its easier building 2 than one.
You can take your time on the second lower and make it more budget friendly when deals comes up. Plus get some upgrades for your nicer lower.

You'll find out that the selection of parts is intense, and there is no one size fits all so having a second lower helps!

Also.. it you like to target shoot for accuracy, just get optics right off the back and skip the red dots.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Howdy...

Have fun with your build!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Biggest advice.. buy another lower.. its easier building 2 than one.
You can take your time on the second lower and make it more budget friendly when deals comes up. Plus get some upgrades for your nicer lower.

You'll find out that the selection of parts is intense, and there is no one size fits all so having a second lower helps!

Also.. it you like to target shoot for accuracy, just get optics right off the back and skip the red dots.

View Quote

Welcome aboard. I hate to admit it but ScoeyAz is correct, Just buy another dam lower and get that out of the way.  Research and watch the sales. You will be able to get it up and running for a pretty good price point.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to the site!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Greetings!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top