Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2014 3:31:56 PM EDT
Hey guys!
I don't know where to start in looking for an AR, but first let me say I live in California, and these like outlawing of features on rifles are really confusing.. I've done some research on the AR platform, but I want to hear first hand from what you guys understand. The only rifle I own is a Mosin 91/30, but I really want to start exploring modern firearms. As for purchasing my first AR, I have come to a conclusion that I will go with the Smith and Wesson M&P AR-15 Sport since I've heard that it has a great warranty, and it is a great entry level rifle with a melonite (I think) barrel which i guess is better than chrome lined as some people say. I have looked into the DPMS Oracle as well as the Del Ton sport but ive heard some mixed reviews from DPMS and majority of people choose S&W over Del Ton. I am open to anything and advice in purchasing my first AR, its alot to read but once I get a jist of the AR world I think I can handle haha
Thanks,
Andres
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The S&W is an excellent choice, but it's a shame it needs to be CA compliant...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully theres like a sale or something coming up for summer haha who knows, and yeah it sucks :/ oh well im planning to move anyways after i graduate college
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if you have thought about it but do you like quad rails or other style stocks other than the standard on the sport?

The M&P15t is a nice rifle also.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah i do, like the Daniel Defense quads or something like that., I'm a college student so money is kind of on the low end, i know if I get a reliable gun, upgrades will come with time haha what was your starting AR?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My first AR was a M&P Sport. Great gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top