Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2014 9:39:36 PM EDT
After much searching on the forum I can't seem to find a consensus on this. Is a headspace check a must? I just finished my first build (PSA blem upper/lower, Stag LPK/UPK/20" HBAR, PTAC 5.56 full auto BCG) and can't seem to find any gauges in stock online. I trust the stag barrel but I'm unsure about the bolt. My understanding is that PTAC is a cheap bolt. She feeds and locks fine on a factory round and ejects without issue, I'm wondering if anyone has any exp with this BCG/barrel combo. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a good idea, if you have the gauges, which you don't.

If your bolt and barrel extension are to print you will be fine.

Since an AR's headspace is when the "set" when the chamber is reamed, there is nothing you can do to correct it if it's not right...short of swapping bolts and/or barrel assemblies.

It's part of the beauty of the Stoner design.

I think it's more important to check as the rifle gets used to make sure things haven't worn to much.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I'm getting eager to go shoot and I'm well over budget so my wife is getting touchy about the rifle. I'm a little weary since last deer season my brother loaned me his .246 mag and a box (he didn't mention this part) of reloaded ammo. Round #4 had the case head separate 60% of the way and it blew out the side of the stock just over my right thumb. I'm fairly confident in the gun but I don't want to have a grenade go off in front of my nose. I'm definitely getting a field gauge at the very least as soon as I can. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not an engineer, but I always thought headspacing is necessary if you installed your own barrel.  If yours was a factory assembly, it MAY have been headspaced on the assy. floor; or a sever problem would have been found if they test fire each unit- if they do that.  Maybe take it to a gunsmith?  If you ask nicely maybe you can watch and learn and that should put your concerns to rest.  I'm thinking maybe $50.00 for the test, maybe free if you buy something from the guy's shop.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
90% of local ranges have head space gages and will check it for free since its a safety issue.
I check mine about 50% of the time.

Buy quality parts.. play it smart and use judgment.  As stated above.. if it was off you couldn't change it even if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

90% of local ranges have head space gages and will check it for free since its a safety issue.

I check mine about 50% of the time.

Buy quality parts.. play it smart and use judgment.  As stated above.. if it was off you couldn't change it even if you wanted to.

View Quote
Yes you could try a different bolt, you could ream stainless or you could potentially replace the extension - PITA.  So not a lot you can do but you can change it.  And I would check but this caused a pissing match the other day so that's all I'll say.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I managed to find a 5.56 field gauge si I'll be holding out until then. My gunsmith wanted $45 to do it once, brownels is charging me 35 with shipping and I can check as much as I like. Better safe than sorry especially when talking about 35,000 psi
Thanks for the input all
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well I managed to find a 5.56 field gauge si I'll be holding out until then. My gunsmith wanted $45 to do it once, brownels is charging me 35 with shipping and I can check as much as I like. Better safe than sorry especially when talking about 35,000 psi
Thanks for the input all
View Quote

A field gauge is the least likeliest gauge you need.   You really need a Go Gauge and No Go more than a field.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd fire a round and check with a Dillon case gage.
Cheaper and you'll probably not even need calipers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A field gauge is the least likeliest gauge you need.   You really need a Go Gauge and No Go more than a field.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the input all

A field gauge determines if any gun is safe to shoot minimum safety standard.  Can do so with one check. While it's a difference in philosophy certainly not least likeliest gauge to use.  Go, no go gauges are needed for setting the head space.  

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top