Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2016 12:19:17 AM EDT
I only own one other AR, a PSA CHF (FN) mid-length 16". Have been thinking about building a flat-top A2 (I guess an "A3"?) for some time, but have never even held one in my life.

Nothing high-speed, just want to shoot irons and occasionally low-power optics out to 200yd. I know the 16" is perfectly capable of this, but I have also wanted to try CMP/NRA service match, and it seems like an A2 type rifle is the usual entry point to this.

Despite never having held one, I really think the flat-top A2 will appeal to me. I have always liked the look of a traditional 20" rifle.

Knowing only this, I ordered one of the PSA A2 LBKs the other night, and now just need to pick up a lower. I am eyeing the PSA 20" rifle length melonite upper, item #7781740. Just waiting for it to show back in stock.

Tell me more about the cool things an A2 type rifle can do versus their shorter bretheren...
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Just so you know, a flat top A2 would actually be an A4.

Beyond that, I'd say do it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the rules: https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf. That 16" is probably GTG as well.
Things the A2 A4 can do:
- shoot bullets faster (but golfballs slower supposedly)

- allow the shooter to be more precise due to the longer sight radius

- reach farther with a bayonet

- store stuff in the stock (and handguards, I suppose)
You'll want a 4.5+lbs 2-stage trigger (I like my DPMS Nat'l Match and LaRue MBT) and DCM freefloat tube (I like RRA). If you plan on shooting full distance High Power, the rear sight might not have enough elevation for 600yds.
ETA: the front of the carry handle should line up with the front of the receiver. Lots of folks place it one notch back to make the rear of the handle line up with the rear of the receiver, or try to get that little bit more sight radius, but that is against the rules.

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 1:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
An A2 without the carry handle upper might be a great rifle or carbine, but it isn't an A2.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#4]
OK forgive me I am still boning up on the definitions.

I thought an "A4" was only an A4 clone if it had the railed forend. And that A2 style stocks with a flat top upper was an "A3"

I'll figure it out eventually... But I know what I want.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 2:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought an "A4" was only an A4 clone if it had the railed forend. And that A2 style stocks with a flat top upper was an "A3"

View Quote

you could even build an A2 clone with a full length rail

the 35th CSSB out of Japan has those

IDK how , but they exist.

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Originally, the A3 was just an A2 with full auto instead of burst, and the A4 was the flattop.

Later, the A4 got the railed forend field upgrade, and the A3 (still auto instead of burst) was retroactively updated to a flattop, and also can have the railed forend field upgrade.

I've got older versions of the FM*-23&P technical manual showing the carry handle A3 and plain-jane handguard flat-top A4, and then somewhere in the mid 2000s, one of the updates changed the A3 to a flat-top receiver in its parts list.  The railed forend was still an approved field modification kit, and not outright listed in the most recent FM *-23&P copy I've got on my hard drive.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I only own one other AR, a PSA CHF (FN) mid-length 16". Have been thinking about building a flat-top A2 (I guess an "A3"?) for some time, but have never even held one in my life.

Nothing high-speed, just want to shoot irons and occasionally low-power optics out to 200yd. I know the 16" is perfectly capable of this, but I have also wanted to try CMP/NRA service match, and it seems like an A2 type rifle is the usual entry point to this.

Despite never having held one, I really think the flat-top A2 will appeal to me. I have always liked the look of a traditional 20" rifle.

Knowing only this, I ordered one of the PSA A2 LBKs the other night, and now just need to pick up a lower. I am eyeing the PSA 20" rifle length melonite upper, item #7781740. Just waiting for it to show back in stock.

Tell me more about the cool things an A2 type rifle can do versus their shorter bretheren...
View Quote

If you want a really good 20" A4 type upper assembly, get this one.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=320#axzz41qtJNdLf

You would not regret it. I use one on my A4 and it is very accurate. I am getting ready to order another one for another build I am working on.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, bushmaster used to use that A3 term for an A4 type gun though too, I think.

A rifle is just a lot of fun to shoot.  The stocks make this bing sprooooiiiing sound and everyone gets all weirded out by it the first time they shoot it.    Recoil is always less than a carbine, IMHO.  A very smooth shooter.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You would not regret it. I use one on my A4 and it is very accurate. I am getting ready to order another one for another build I am working on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have this upper and it is one of my most accurate upper assemblies.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top