Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2016 9:18:19 AM EDT
I was thinking about doing a 727 clone but now I'm thinking of adding some modern things like a BCM charging handle and Magpul handguard with light. Anyone built something like this?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was thinking about doing a 727 clone but now I'm thinking of adding some modern things like a BCM charging handle and Magpul handguard with light. Anyone built something like this?
View Quote

If you are not looking to do a military model clone, then the gloves are off. Build what you think you will be happy with. That is all that really matters. Now, would I do it? No. I prefer the originality of the A2 platform and do not care to add modern accoutrements to it. That is just me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Do what floats your boat.

For me ~
I tend to stick to factory style / military approved / period correct set ups only.
If I do go off the 'res,' then it has to make sense or be a plausible set up
as a factory pattern room build to test a concept.

If you want modern, go A3 :)

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the collapsible stock A2 w/ an M4 makes a nice setup:

" />

Date on photo is incorrect - actually late 2011.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Not modern per se, but I always liked the BHD movie clone 727's people have done. If I were to go for a modern version of one I think I'd use a new surefire in an impact weapon components mount for the standard handguards and maybe an Aimpoint 9000sc on the carry handle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My brother and I built this, kinda modern I reckon.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm planning a 727 clone right now, but since it will be a shooter I most likely will equip it with a Geissele SSA, LMT Sopmod Gen 2, AXTS Raptor CH, and Battle Arms ambi selector (short variant).  I'll probably keep the clone correct parts I've collected tucked away in case I want to change them out in the future.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a magpul hand guard and a scout light mount for a TLR 1 and a BCM gunfighter on my little carbine some time ago. It was simple and functional and that's all that matters really.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a 16 inch A2 carbine build in 5.56 and another in 300BLK.
I'm waiting for my tax stamp so I can build my 10.5 inch 300BLK A2.
I'm partial to the MOE-SL hand guard lately, though the A*B ARMS hand guard and pistol grip are pretty comfortable for me.

(I use hand guard color and design as a last check to keep my upper calibers clear in my head when I grab stuff to go to the range.)
I appreciate the purists building true, but I also see nothing wrong with tweaking parts for comfort or function.
Worst case scenario it's just a few parts swapped to build a different model or take it back to stock.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
My most recent  build is what I'm calling a Modern A2; not the most knowledgeable on the various model changes in military small arms.  That said this is the current set-up, hopefully will have pictures by end of week; have been waiting for LGS to get a Magpul MOE Rifle stock for almost two months, Primary shipped one to me this week.

Anderson Manufacturing:
* Lower
* Flat top Upper
* BCG
* Extended latch charging handle
* 20" HBAR barrel
* Detachable carry handle with rear sight
* Oops kit
* Flash Hider

Strike Industries: (Gifts from the kids; didn't know any better)
* Fang trigger guard
* Enhanced Bolt Catch
* Enhanced Mag Release
* Take Down Pins
* Dust Cover

* Magpul MOE Rifle handguard (not sure if newer m-lok or older style) (heat shield was entirely gutted to fit free float tube)
* Magpul Miad pistol grip
* Magpul MOE Rifle fixed stock (not the carbine fixed MOE)

* Rock River Arms A2 free float tube
* A.R.M.S. #41 folding front sight/gas block
* Bushnell AR 1x4 scope in a quick detach mount
* ALG ACT trigger.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe this is more of an updated retro than modern, but I'm building a 727 clone with a M4A1 SOCOM weight barrel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Awhile back I made my version of an A3/A4 with a 20" gov't profile barrel, rifle length MOE hand guards in FDE, and a GWACS Cav15mkII lower in FDE.  I would imagine an A2 in a similar configuration would be a fun shooter.

What I like about the GWACS lower is the A1 length stock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 1:55:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have built A2 homage builds recently.

One uses a RRA lower and RRA A2 upper, with Adams VooDoo lightweight mid length 16 " barrel with A2 fixed sight.  Standard GI midlength handguard, rodgers adjustable stock.  WMD NiB carrier with ALG ACT trigger.Not mil spec but built like mil spec if mil spec build in 2016. Left hand BCM bolt charging handle.

Next one is RRA lower with American Spirit Arms A2 upper, and 14.5" midlength Colt barrel with pinned Flash suppressor and pinned A2 sight, Magpul handguard, RRA adjustable stock,RRA bolt and carrier and RRA single stage trigger,.Ambi charging handle.  

Both shoot great. The parts on both are excellent and I can recommend them all.
Rick
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Been posting this pic recently as it seems to apply to a lot of the dissy and A2 threads.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a 16 inch A2 carbine build in 5.56 and another in 300BLK.

I'm waiting for my tax stamp so I can build my 10.5 inch 300BLK A2.

I'm partial to the MOE-SL hand guard lately, though the A*B ARMS hand guard and pistol grip are pretty comfortable for me.
(I use hand guard color and design as a last check to keep my upper calibers clear in my head when I grab stuff to go to the range.)

I appreciate the purists building true, but I also see nothing wrong with tweaking parts for comfort or function.

Worst case scenario it's just a few parts swapped to build a different model or take it back to stock.  
View Quote

I just bought a Griffin Armament Sportsmen and am thinking of doing an A2 in 300BLK as well. Just put together a lower for it tonight too. I'd like to keep it somewhat "period correct " aside from a Magpul MIAD (that just fits my hand better). I've already got a stamped lower anyways so tonight's was just out of boredom but will serve as an upper build inspiration.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely! Here's my recent BCM A1 style build:

The base of the rifle is a BCM 11.5” lightweight upper. The standard M4 upper receiver has been replaced by a Nodak Spud A1 receiver. In addition there’s a Vltor A5 recoil system hiding under the CAR stock, as well as a CMC 3.5lb flat trigger.
Upper:
* BCM 11.5” lightweight upper
* Nodak Spud A1 receiver w/ A2 aperture
* CAR handguards
* Teardrop style forward assist
* BCM BCG and charging handle

Lower:
* BCM factory lower (SBR)
* CMC 3.5lb flat trigger
* Vltor A5 recoil system (standard rifle buffer weight)
* Odin Works mag release
* Magpul BAD lever
* Battle Arms safety lever
* Magpul K grip
* MA Parts Colt CAR replica stock
* HK sling plate
My goal was to build a lightweight no nonsense rifle while paying a bit of homage to various retro configurations.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#16]
If I'm going to have a 16" rifle...well...it's gonna be a rifle.
20141229_155944 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm going for a sort of updated A2 build. Fixed stock, 20" barrel, but using M5 ras instead of round handguards. It's going to be awesome
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think the collapsible stock A2 w/ an M4 makes a nice setup:

http://<a href=http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee312/ghbowling/Tallil/EditedIMAG0055.jpg</a>" />

Date on photo is incorrect - actually late 2011.
View Quote

This^

Did a clone like this, was flipping awesome. Used damage Industries buffer kit for an H6 buffer, but rocked a H2 till it shipped. Was a joy to shoot, hated go have to sell it but needed the funds at the time for my now wife's engagement ring
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#19]
My 20" A2 has an A1 length stock, a small Bcm charging handle, a tango down grip, an ALG trigger(act i think), and a xs tritium front sight/stripe. Everything else on it is standard a2 rifle stuff.

It is hands down my favorite rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#20]
The chopping block has a thread in the ammo forum about tula 75 grain test.  And he's got a modern A2 carbine in there.  I asked him to post a pic of it too and he did.  It's real nice.

His name is BlueFalcon and this is his:

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Made some changes to mine. I think this is just about a perfect configuration for me.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Made some changes to mine. I think this is just about a perfect configuration for me.

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/4817/9gnyPj.jpg
View Quote

that really speaks to me for some reason. Looks great!
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/4817/9gnyPj.jpg
View Quote

werd
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I prefer, and built, a 727 but I guess you could modernize it by throwing some Magpul stuff on it and calling it a day.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm going for a sort of updated A2 build. Fixed stock, 20" barrel, but using M5 ras instead of round handguards. It's going to be awesome
View Quote

That's what I'm doing as well. Magpul fixed rifle stock and magpul grip.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like this, except with a A2 receiver?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Since I was bored and had the time and parts (all new).  Here's a modern A2 Carbine upper.

FN A2 upper w/ rifle feed ramps
Colt 14.5" SOCOM 1:7 bbl w/ carbine feed extensions (wick still in bbl and F FSB)
A2 FH (not torqued down as I'm going to disassemble this)
FN BCG
FN Bolt
KAC RAS upper handguard
P&S lower handguard
PRI Gas Buster M84 CH
Side Sling Swivel Mount

CD
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#28]
or for another twist could build it with as a A2 block II

10.3 or 14.5" Govt profile
low profile gas block
SF 4P FH
DD RIS II Mk18 or M4A1
KAC flip up front sight

CD
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Threw a lower on that upper.

CD
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#30]

I think I see my next build
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah that's pretty freaking nice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed. I've got to find a black 777 upper and slap it on my 6920.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess this could be considered modern as far as A2s go. I purchased a PSA Freedom midlength/nitride complete upper, and swapped the barrel assembly onto an A2 receiver I purchased off the EE. So it's going to be not an A2 carbine, but an A2 midlength. It will have a CAR stock and is being built on a Tapco lower receiver, which I think makes it the ultimate cheapo/truck gun.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Just put this one together today.  My modern A2 rendition. He's a run down of parts used.

Colt 14.5 socom (pinned and welded phantom FH by phase5supply.
Colt BCG
Armalite A2 upper with m4 cuts
LMT charging handle
LWRC free float carbine rail from CDNN.
VLTOR A5 buffer tube kit and spring
Colt N stock and well used A1 grip
GG&G vert grip
80% lower with ALG trigger kit
Burris 3x prism scope.

Hope u guys like it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Just put this together to see what I thought.  I'm not sure I like it.

I think I like it better this way.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/deltacharles78/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-21%2018.25.13_zpsbgn8oxij.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah213/deltacharles78/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-21%2018.25.13_zpsbgn8oxij.jpg</a>

Just put this one together today.  My modern A2 rendition. He's a run down of parts used.

Colt BCG
LMT charging handle
GG&G vert grip
Burris 3x prism scope.

Hope u guys like it.

View Quote

Me likey
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Me likey
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/deltacharles78/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-21%2018.25.13_zpsbgn8oxij.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah213/deltacharles78/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04-21%2018.25.13_zpsbgn8oxij.jpg</a>

Colt BCG
LMT charging handle
GG&G vert grip
Burris 3x prism scope.

Hope u guys like it.

Me likey

Yeah that's sweeeeeet.  For some reason it reminds me of one of the ones in that movie with Brude Willis.  Tears of the Sun or something like that.  One of those guys had an A2 carbine sort of set up sniper ish.  He had the raised cheek thingy on it though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks guys.  I'm proud of how it turned out.  Shooting it today was a different experience in-that im not used to a chin weld.  Gonna take some getting used but its worth it!  Off to Google to search for that movie.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top