Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2015 10:56:42 PM EDT
I'm currently debating having an aged look on my current build mainly because the upper already has some nice handling marks.  Originally thought about just kryloning the whole rifle, but more I look at it I'm liking the way it looks now (minus going to paint the KAC rails).  

Does anyone have a process of how to do this?

Here is a picture of the rifle as it sits now, don't have a closer one currently.

" />
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
How about you just shoot and train with the damn thing. That will produce some authentic wear sure to impress your buddies.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not trying to impress anyone, just want to try to obtain a specific look for me and me alone

Don't worry, it will be getting shoot alot just like my other ones. I don't baby/cuddle my guns, they are tools that are meant to be used
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]
A lot of the retro-guys "age" their new lower to match the parts kits that have been there and done that.  That's what I did to my CMMG lower to match the well-worn upper for a BFPU XM-4 build.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_127/657185_Battle_fielded_XM_4_clone_project.html
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm currently debating having an aged look on my current build mainly because the upper already has some nice handling marks.  Originally thought about just kryloning the whole rifle, but more I look at it I'm liking the way it looks now (minus going to paint the KAC rails).  

Does anyone have a process of how to do this?

Here is a picture of the rifle as it sits now, don't have a closer one currently.

http://<a href=http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/twalk2010/Mobile%20Uploads/1426038832_zps5f8ed956.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Carry it around with you everyday for 6 months

CD
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have a driveway?

View Quote

Dammnit, I came here to post this!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#7]
A light emery cloth or similar. Hit the edges to smooth the finish and start to bring the bare aluminum through without going to crazy. I had to fade some aluminum that was anodized when I was building rc Baja 5bs'. Forgot the exact name of the cloth but it worked pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Last Saturday, I picked up my PSA Stealth lower from my FFL and brought it home and started work on it. There was a slight color difference between the A2 upper I had and the lower (lower was darker), but I worked on the lower's finish a little bit and got it a lot closer. I also worked on the upper a little bit to give it a slightly worn look to match the lower. On the lower, I sprayed it down with some Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber and wiped it off. I, then, took some super fine steel wool and rubbed it down. I went a little heavier on the high areas to make them have a little more of a worn look. Once I got the look and shade I wanted, I worked on the upper a bit with some fine grit sandpaper and hit the high areas on it to expose some metal, but not too much. I then sprayed it with the Gun Scrubber. Once dried, I went over it with the steel wool. Here is the result.

Since that picture was taken, I worked on the pieces a little more.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Hit the high spots on lower, and use the thing to death.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Drag it behind your 4 wheeler

This is how Intacto inspects all their fine weapons
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top