Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2014 2:43:22 PM EDT
I just picked up this Colt AR-15 from an estate sale recently for $800 and was just wondering what I have.
It's in pretty good condition and as I understand it's been sitting in a safe for quite a while.    

I'm familiar with the AR platform but know next to nothing regarding retro model Colt's.  

If any of you are an expert please help me identify this rifle, what year it was made, etc. Also I'm curious
what it is worth (whether or not I got a good deal on it). I'm not phishing for pricing to sell because I'm
definitely not going to sell this thing but just curious of the value.  

Any input would be appreciated.  See pics below.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like you have a Colt model R6600 preban rifle.  

These were manufactured from 1986 to 1991.

At $800 you stole it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Heavy-barrel 20" rifle, probably 1:9 rifling, large-pin lower probably with a notched hammer and blocking ledge so M16 parts can't be installed. A2 upper probably with an AR15 bolt carrier. A2 stock. Very nice rifle and a fair price. Most people now want the A3 upper, small-pin lower without the ledge (not to make machine guns - just because), M16 (heavy duty) bolt carrier and 1:7 rifling. The next thing for you to do is verify the barrel is marked '5.56'. If it is marked '.223', you have to shoot only .223 Remington in it, no military or other 5.56 NATO ammo. If its marked '5.56', you can shoot both. Either way, it probably is going to be a great target rifle if you have good eyesight. Personally I would not have paid $800 for it since there's not a single part on it that I would have any use for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
heavy barrel, 1/7 twist, A2 upper (obviously). That is the nice version, the one that came with a flash hider and a bayonet lug. I grew up around the newer version with no bayonet lug. They shoot good. I prefer the 6550/6551 without the heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like you have a Colt model R6600 preban rifle.  

These were manufactured from 1986 to 1991.

At $800 you stole it.
View Quote

Bingo, I used to have one just like that I bought it in '86 when it was introduced and mainly I used it for target practice and DCM (CMP now) rifle competition.

tbizzle:

They have all A2 features with 1/7 twist except the barrel is heavy under the handguards, they're very accurate and that's a good price.

You could try the Colt consumer website, click on Customer Services, then pick the Serial Number Lookup, their database is not complete so if you don't get any result you could call them.

ETA: You could post your pictures at the AR15 A2 Builds forum, they will enjoy looking at it, here's the link:

A2 Builds forum - link

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The old SP1 A1 lower iy has normal pin hole sizes for the fire control group,no sear block..looks to be large hole front ill bet the barrels a 1/7 HBAR.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
heavy barrel, 1/7 twist, A2 upper (obviously). That is the nice version, the one that came with a flash hider and a bayonet lug. I grew up around the newer version with no bayonet lug. They shoot good. I prefer the 6550/6551 without the heavy barrel.
View Quote

C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR

Those are the markings on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/colt_ar-15a2.htm

I believe the rifle in the link is what I have?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/colt_ar-15a2.htm

I believe the rifle in the link is what I have?
View Quote

Yes that's the same model as your rifle and the same rifle model R6600 AR-15A2 HBAR Sporter I used to have that I bought new in 1986.

The later production around late 1990 and year 1991 might have the protruding steel sear block on the lower receiver above the selector.

See my previous post about looking at Colt's website to find out what year your rifle was made.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I own one and sold it.  My infantry unit didn't have the A2 when I pick her up at a gun shop outside of Ft Hood Texas.
I've built many,  But I miss my first. My Colt A2 Hbar.  :-(
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#11]
You did very well and thats one of my all time favorite Colt cilvilian lowers. (jealous) You paid 2/3 of the value of that gun in my opinion. VERY NICE. Congrats.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top