Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2014 4:05:17 PM EDT
Halfway through my first build and I am looking for the length of the A2 handguards. I figure I will buy some railed ones for cheap from amazon by UTG and use it to only mount a flashlight and maybe a VFG. My question is how long? And is there some othee rail thats affordable (sub $150) that you would recommend? Even better if it's drop in and not free float
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
KAC M5
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The KAC seconds are in my price range
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
There is always MOE handguards.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Eh. I may even just go with regular handguards and find a way to mount a flashlight to the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Eh. I may even just go with regular handguards and find a way to mount a flashlight to the barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy.

You simply order the little rail sections and fasten them in place on the hanguard. Unless you are going for an exact clone look with the GI type handguards, the MOE is the better choice if you are looking to make the AR lighter in weight.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's easy.

You simply order the little rail sections and fasten them in place on the hanguard. Unless you are going for an exact clone look with the GI type handguards, the MOE is the better choice if you are looking to make the AR lighter in weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy.

Weight is one of my last concerns, just needs to function everytime
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
12" is the length you want for a rifle length rail. That is if you have a front sight tower. If its a low pro gas block and you want to cover it then you want 13"+
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The KAC seconds are in my price range
View Quote

Either use the standard poly hardguards or get a KA RAS.  At sub $150. Thats it and both are very good. I have a RAS on my A4 clone and love it. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#9]
You don't need a quadrail to mount a flashlight.

You can get a mount that attaches to the bayonet mount, or a mount that attaches to the front sight base, or a mount that attaches to the barrel below the front sight base.  All cost less that $40.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
12" is the length you want for a rifle length rail. That is if you have a front sight tower. If its a low pro gas block and you want to cover it then you want 13"+
View Quote

I have a fixed carry handle upper so a low pro gas system would look a bit
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#11]
was some used kac on the ee awhile ago I would check there first
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#12]
RIfle length hand guards for a rifle.  Mid length for a mid length,  carbine for carbine.  It's pretty self explanatory.

Or, bust out a tape measure.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]
KAC used are $100 in EE. Look around.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:20:59 AM EDT
[#14]
There's a new one here for 132.00.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
RIfle length hand guards for a rifle.  Mid length for a mid length,  carbine for carbine.  It's pretty self explanatory.

Or, bust out a tape measure.

View Quote

1: I do not have a complete rifle to measure from, hence the reason I asked

2: google just gives me 100's of products and prices with no actual length for "rifle length railed handguards", plus the market is saturated with handguards of every length. It's not like only three sizes exist
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Just noticed that it took 15 posts to tell him 12".
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I use: https://www.primaryarms.com/Mount-N-Slot-TMC-1-inch-Light-LTMC100FO-p/ltmc100fo.htm

Mounted on my A2 carbine:

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Standard handguards/free float tubes for the rifle length gas system are 12'' long.

For carbine they are 7'' long.

I forgot how long midlength handguards are.

If you are building an M16A2 clone, get handguards marked 12'' or rifle length.

ETA: I highly recommend buying a set of KAC M5 handguard factory seconds for 150 or a set for cheaper used over anything utg.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top