Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2012 11:38:52 AM EDT
I cant decide on whether I should buy a surplus FNA2 upper or if I should build one with a brand new FN barrel that is hammer forged and a surplus FN A2 upper.
I like the idea of having an actual upper that was made and used in the military, but I also like the idea of having a brand new barrel thats CHF which the FNMI barrels are not.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I faced the same question. I was going to get one of the OOW uppers, but I know someone who had one with a lot of wear. Some reviewers here said they got nice ones though.

I ended up buying a Palmetto 20" assembled upper during one of their many sales, and tore it down for the barrel and assembled it into a surplus A2 upper.

Now I have an extra flat top upper, but extra parts are good, sometimes they turn into another upper or rifle.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You could do both. That's what I ended up doing, though not originally planning on. Got a great used one, but also got a brand new CHF FN/PSA 20" too... both are excellent.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I had this exact issue a while back.  I couldn't decide so I ended up doing both.  lol.  I'm building a Colt A2 upper with an FN barrel and I bought one of the surplus A2 upper assemblies from OOW.  I figured that with President Obeezy getting re-elected it was better to have more upper than you need instead of less.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The "build both" option isnt an option for me right now. I cant afford it. I think I might just buy a FN barrel from PK and a surplus FN A2 receiver. PSA has been out of barrels and just about any upper that I want.
Ive actually been banging my head on the wall trying to decide to build a 20", 18" or 16" A2.
PK has a 18" FN government profile barrel. Ive never seen one before in that profile, they are usually heavy or spr profiles. I might just build an 18" A2 just to be different

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
If you already have the tools to assemble the upper I'd build.   If you have to go out and buy the tools or pay someone to assmble it, the cost makes buying a complete upper more attractive.  OOW upper assemblies are usually good to go but there is no guarantee how much wear will be present.  Just my two cents worth.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If its "an actual upper used by the Military" then you dont want one.

Its been abused, had blanks through it, and improperly maintained.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If its "an actual upper used by the Military" then you dont want one.

Its been abused, had blanks through it, and improperly maintained.

Well, thats the roll the dice part. You could also get one that sat on a shelf and was never used.... Mine had some use, but really was in great shape. Ive seen people post from mint to not so very good.... It is a gamble.

On the other hand all the CHF PSA barrels are made by FN out of their machine gun steel and are a great option too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're gonna shoot it then it's gonna wear.  As stated if you have the tools build it and if you don't buy it.  Nothing wrong with a Colt either.  I've had both and they are really tit for tat.  If OOW has any left that really is gonna be your best deal unless something drops in your lap.  Besides not being an A-2 in an A-2 forum a flat top with a carry handle sight will give you more options later on down the road.  Have bought plenty of barrels from PK over the years but their FN 18" doesn't have a FSB on it,  so that's gonna add pennies to price.  Think many vendors are waiting to see what the politicians are gonna do.  We all know what they want to do,  so buying immediately might be a wise move if you want a bayo lug and a FH.  

I also wouldn't be shocked if OOW dropped their price for Black Friday but wouldn't bet on it.

Cycline, which shoots better old or new?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I went ahead and bought a surplus upper from OOW. I sent a little note with my money order asking if theyll look through a few and pick me out a good one. We'll see when it gets here but I hope I dont get the one that the soldier beat the hell out of and been fired 10,000 times
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently completed an A2 Upper build with a barrel and upper receiver bought from two different inidividuals.  Both barrel and upper receiver were in very good condition, got it assembled with a local gunsmith and went out to the range.  This upper shoots very good, I decided to use and old 4 power Bushnell scope on it due to not being able to see the sights very good.  Overall, I am very happy with my now finished A2 Upper.  If you can, I suggest you get a complete upper, that way you can use it right away, but there are good barrels and uppers out there.  By the way, mine is an all FN.  Good luck with your project.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top