Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2011 9:14:00 PM EDT
I'm not sure if this question is suited here, If not I'm sorry. I figured this being the A2 forum people should have experience mixing and matching Colt uppers.

Okay, so now I've got this Colt A2 20" upper with oversize pivot pins. I know you can buy one of the adapter bushings like this one here....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=599768

But while searching the web I've noticed mixed reviews on performance. Anybody have any experience here using this set up good or bad??

I'm pretty sure I don't want to deal with sending the upper off to be filled and re-drilled, and with $50 PSA lowers I'm not interested in looking for a large pin lower. Has anybody glued the adapter into place with great success? ( as in the adapter doesn't rotate ).

Or should I just put the lower up for sale and build another one?

Cheers BT
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
BT,

The adapters are a pain & can loosen if shooting a lot. You would be ahead & just buy another upper is you going to use a smaill pin lower. Sounds like you have a Colt large pin upper w/ A2 sights. If by chance you decide not to use I am in the market for one. I have missplaced mine somewhere in my shop & can't seem to find it. If figured the best way to sind it was to buy another one. + If you want to sell it let me know how much you want for it & possible email me a picture or 2 if possible.

Thanks,
George
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info, but I decided for now to just deal with it. I'm kind of too attached to the whole thing.

BT
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Just buy the bushing and slap it on a lower, whats the big deal?? I have a SP1 upper and I got a bushing from brownells and everything functions fine. It's a cheap $10.00 fix that works.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
the bushing will work fine, last time I used one I put a little bit of epoxy on it to keep it from falling out but not enough so I couldn't remove it later if I wanted, which was good as I later found a cheap SP2 lower and mounted my large hole upper to it w/o the bushing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just buy the bushing and slap it on a lower, whats the big deal?? I have a SP1 upper and I got a bushing from brownells and everything functions fine. It's a cheap $10.00 fix that works.

Ordered the bushing from Brownells, 3 bucks with 6 bucks for shipping. Came in the mail but had to wait for the kids to go to bed before I could play with it. Finally went to install it and the bushing would not fit on my pivot pin. I ordered the .250 bushing for my .250 pivot pin.  

I got it half way on the pin with out the upper in place using a hammer ( it was tight ), then said screw it and hammered it off. I don't think it's supposed to be that hard.

I ended up stripping the upper and traded it for a newer Colt A2 upper with small pins and installed it, problem solved.

Yes, sometimes I can get impatient.

Need to take it to the range and function check it but here is my newest member........
A pieced together all Colt A2 upper 20" Govt profile 1x7 bbl.
PSA lower and lpk
Magpul MIAD

When I traded it out I saw 4 more CM forged A2 uppers and one lonely A1 upper. I tried real hard not to look at the A1 at all least I get bit by that bug, but today all I could think about was doing a retro build.

Thanks for the replies
BT

Edited for spelling

ETA I tried that dang bushing on 9 different pivot pins and it was all the same, would not fit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used them and they work. Ended up using blue lock tite to keep them in place. Easy to knock out with a hammer and the right sized punch.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered the bushing from Brownells, 3 bucks with 6 bucks for shipping. Came in the mail but had to wait for the kids to go to bed before I could play with it. Finally went to install it and the bushing would not fit on my pivot pin. I ordered the .250 bushing for my .250 pivot pin.  

I got it half way on the pin with out the upper in place using a hammer ( it was tight ), then said screw it and hammered it off. I don't think it's supposed to be that hard.

I ended up stripping the upper and traded it for a newer Colt A2 upper with small pins and installed it, problem solved.

Yes, sometimes I can get impatient.

Need to take it to the range and function check it but here is my newest member........
A pieced together all Colt A2 upper 20" Govt profile 1x7 bbl.
PSA lower and lpk
Magpul MIAD
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9255/1001443ka.jpg

When I traded it out I saw 4 more CM forged A2 uppers and one lonely A1 upper. I tried real hard not to look at the A1 at all least I get bit by that bug, but today all I could think about was doing a retro build.

Thanks for the replies
BT

Edited for spelling

ETA I tried that dang bushing on 9 different pivot pins and it was all the same, would not fit.

I've used 4 bushings for myself and friends, only 1 Pivot Pin that would not work, granted most were tight but if you spray CLP or some Gun Oil on the Pin from the get go it makes things much easier. Sounds like you either were impatient or you had your mind made up about switching receivers already....

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top