BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2017 2:40:31 AM EDT
I bought a Adams Arms 11.5" Tactical Evo upper, and I just love it. I expected it to be louder and have more recoil, but it seemed to be smoother than my Colt 6920, and the nitride it tits. So now I'm thinking I might want to try a higher end piston system with an even shorter barrel.

To be honest, I've got my eye on PWS Diablo and so far I've never heard a bad thing about them. I watched some of their videos and I'm impressed how they are American made and designed from scratch in house. I believe the same could be said of LWRC and POF and a few others. Sig and HK have never got me too excited but that could change.

So, what is your favorite, why, and how does it compare to others you've shot? Any problems? Please discuss and pics! Here's my AA pistol (AA upper, PSA Defender lower):
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#1]
i have a Sig 716 and an LWRCi A5 in 6.8.

people/haters will say that piston is only good for suppressors and DI is best.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a few Dis, AA, and a LWRCI ic. The aa has been great but it rarely get used and so do the Di's. I always take the lwrci out. The lower is one of the best I have had. No changes need to be made and it's fully ambi. The stock was switched for a magpul but the buffer is propperly staked. Moving up the upper is a thing of beauty. It's extremely easy to get under the handguard although you never need to. All in all it's very precise and beautiful doing it. The downsides of it is the recoil impulse is different then most ars, but after a few range trips you are use to it and good to go. The other downside is the piston spring needs to be replaced regularly. I haven't had mine break and I think I'm some where around 6k rounds. I keep one in the grip just in case. It can run without one but easy to keep one with me for a 1 min swap if it needs it. The upside is the thing is very reliable, great craftsmanship, very precise, ambi everything, and cleaning is super quick and easy. Never had a single reliability issue with it. I live near POF and might pick one up at some point but the ic just puts a smile on my face every time and when cleaning it's a few min job.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]
My PWS Mk116 is lighter, better balanced, and less prone to carrier tilt than any short stroke design.  Awesome people in my experience, and I still see first-gen PWS still trucking along every once in a while.  The lightweight is fantastic, and I love how their cutaway gun runs in that promo video.

I had a POF for a while.  Fantastic short stroke platform, I love their heat sink barrel nut, roller cam, triggers, and several other parts upgrades. Only downside is the non-standard rails, and it's heavy as fuck.  I miss it every once in a while.....until I pick up my PWS, which I sold it to fund.

My PWS (old photo coming in a second)

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]

I bought this POF .308 at an auction in 2015.  It was my first experience with a piston rifle.  I love the rifle.   It is a better shooter than I am, but it is really heavy.  I decided to screw the weight and added a bipod and scope. Now I just shoot prone all the time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a Adams Arms 11.5" Tactical Evo upper, and I just love it. I expected it to be louder and have more recoil, but it seemed to be smoother than my Colt 6920, and the nitride it tits. So now I'm thinking I might want to try a higher end piston system with an even shorter barrel.

To be honest, I've got my eye on PWS Diablo and so far I've never heard a bad thing about them. I watched some of their videos and I'm impressed how they are American made and designed from scratch in house. I believe the same could be said of LWRC and POF and a few others. Sig and HK have never got me too excited but that could change.

So, what is your favorite, why, and how does it compare to others you've shot? Any problems? Please discuss and pics! Here's my AA pistol (AA upper, PSA Defender lower):
View Quote

Have had a PWS Diablo upper for going on five years now.
It's been super reliable, love it.

Since then I picked up a Mk116 mod 1 upper as well as a Mk114 Mod 2 rifle and a Mk116 Mod 2 upper.
So yes, I'm rather sold on PWS.

I have had a LWRCI before, and have shot a friend's POF.
The PWS is a great deal better balanced.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought all three of my piston set up's back in 2008 and neither one has ever had a malfunction. I mostly shot those for a few years and two are LWRC's (5.56 PSD and 10.5) and the other is a LMT 12" piston. Only one that isn't a factory SBR is the PSD. I bought an anodized MRE lower and ended up buying an anodized PSD upper to match.

The LWRC 10.5 has roughly 4k through it and the LMT 12" has a little over 5K and both have mainly been shot suppressed. I went buying crzy for the next few years and went on a Knight Armament kick and that's why the pistons haven't been shot much. After the KAC kick, I got into a few 14.5 DI set ups and those just work better for me when I shoot competitions so, that's what I've been running the past 4-5 years.

I have no intentions of getting rid of my piston AR's and as a matter of fact, I was just telling a friend that I was going to break them out during the next range training session.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Great info guys. I love hearing these experiences. I'm getting more and more convinced that I should give PWS a try for my next gun purchase. I'll keep an eye out in EE and Armslist but it is really hard to find quality stuff like this on the used market, especially for trade, which is how I've acquired 90% of my guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#9]
built this using an osprey defense piston kit and a spikes 14.5" barrel. it runs like a top and is very soft shooting

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I am down to 1 DI now, but I it has not been shot in 6 years. I have a LWRC IC and PWS MK 114. I like the PWS more, it balances better. My LWRC is great to, but just looks to pretty to be used and abused. Cleaning my ARs is just a thing of the past now. I just wipe down the carrier few hundred rds and relube, thats it.

Don't listen to all the haters, piston are great.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great info guys. I love hearing these experiences. I'm getting more and more convinced that I should give PWS a try for my next gun purchase. I'll keep an eye out in EE and Armslist but it is really hard to find quality stuff like this on the used market, especially for trade, which is how I've acquired 90% of my guns.
View Quote
If you can't find any used, it might be because their owners don't sell them.  Even the super early generation one I saw in the shop one time that was....old, the owner said 15+ years old, he had no intention of ever getting rid of it or upgrading.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you can't find any used, it might be because their owners don't sell them.  Even the super early generation one I saw in the shop one time that was....old, the owner said 15+ years old, he had no intention of ever getting rid of it or upgrading.
View Quote
All the more reason to want a PWS. I googled POF and saw multiple results on the first page with "Fail!" in the title. So I was like ah, lemme google "PWS fail" and I couldn't find even find any relevant results except for relating to airsoft versions LOL.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

All the more reason to want a PWS. I googled POF and saw multiple results on the first page with "Fail!" in the title. So I was like ah, lemme google "PWS fail" and I couldn't find even find any relevant results except for relating to airsoft versions LOL.
View Quote
Of myself and two of my former coworkers, none of our POFs ever had an issue.  Of all three of us, once we started playing with PWS, all sold our POF to buy various PWS (some SBR, some not, etc).  One of them later quit to help establish his own AR company as the COO, and still thinks my PWS is the best AR he's ever fired, even over the ones his company manufactures.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no experience with PWS or LWRC but i have a gen 4 P415 which is currently getting the new edge handguard installed by POF,which solves my only complaint with their gun, slimming down the giant handguard that came with it. I love their innovation and while there is no perfect gun that will never fail, appreciate their attempt to fix some known imperfections of the ar-15 platform.

My p415 is far smoother than any other ar i have owned or handled, the upper stays far cleaner, longer than a DI, the anti-tilt buffer tube reduces bold bounce (PWS also has this), the heat sink barrel nut keeps the chamber cool and the increased rail height enhances the rigidity of the platform that is lost with flat top uppers.

I did alot of research prior to my purchase and found that posts on forums and videos on youtube were from 5 years ago and seem to have been resolved. Ive also read of people having issues with their DD, LWRC and noveskes, no company has released a perfect gun which never hiccups.

Another option is that you build your own piston gun with a Superlative Arms piston kit. I have a few different builds using this kit and havent had an issue yet, i highly recommend their product.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
no carrier tilt in my LWRC's....got one M6A3 with over 6000 rounds thru it and a newer IC SPR with close to 2000 now.

lover clean chamber and BCG's.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been really happy with my 2 AA conversions, SIG MCX, and Barrett REC7 Gen 2 flyweight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a lot of piston factory rifles, factory uppers, and retrofit kit builds. I like them all. LWRC, POF, SIG, Ruger, Adams Arms, HK 416, TD 15 and probably other factory built rifles and uppers I'm forgetting. Kits from Adams Arms, Osprey, SYRAC, Superlative Arms and Ares Defense. I have not had a"bad"experience with any of them, ever though I think the Ares and Osprey are weak at the gas block connection. But I have to say, dollar for dollar, the new WOLF A1 upper has to be one of my favorites. It is the smoothest functioning piston upper this side of the HK 416. And for $600, considering most kits are around $300, this is a real deal.
My initial look at this upper......https://youtu.be/kiRybiOHB8k

I took the used upper and a second new one I bought out to look at accuracy and function with a suppressor this week.....https://youtu.be/eQfhqeVKcQs

I don't have anything to do with any of these manufacturers or vendors. I am just an enthusiast and consumer. I like all of the piston systems I have, but the WOLF upper is a really good deal. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the wolf but that handguard will take a bit to get use to unless someone comes out with a way to mount a different rail to it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#19]
My 6.8 Frankenstein Spike is one.

My middy16 is fucken great.

My 20" build is a bit of a problem child with Russian ammo.  I open the port a bit and cycles with that crap better.

All AA system.

I forgot about my: AR180, FNC, and TD-415.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Love my mk114
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Love my mk114
View Quote
Bad links.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:52:31 AM EDT
[#23]
fixed it for him

Quoted:
Bad links.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love my mk114
Bad links.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I would never buy a POF.  I have had some horrible experiences with them during my years working at a gun store.  I wish I still had pictures so I could post in more detail.

I have builds using PWS MK110, MK112 and 16" modern musket DI uppers.  All are good to go. They balance well, quality of the components is excellent, the gas system is easy to adjust and clean and they shoot great.  I like their commitment to innovation (T3 series, Gen2 buffer tubes, choosing the long stroke route) and their customer service is top notch.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#25]
What problems did you have with your POF and were they the gen4 p415s?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I was going to post about my favorite piston system Adams Arms...
But there is not enough space on the Internet to.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I have both a POF Gen4 P415 10.5" SBR as well as the PWS MK110 (mod 1, not the mod1-p) (and a 12" 300 B/O and a MK220 mod 1). I shoot all of them suppressed and all have been stellar. I have several thousand rounds through the POF in particular and the only problem I've had is non-SAAMI spec ammo. It will not load if it's out-of-tolerance at all. There is some ammo that will load in the PWS but will not load in the POF. Other than that, both are great. Now I will grant you the POF weighs a TON and you feel it after humping it around all day in exercises. Also, the short-stroke POF Gen4 with the E2 extraction gets much, much dirtier than the PWS. But with the NP3 coating, it's pretty easy to clean up.

I'm about to go out for another 1k round training series and I'm still mumbling over which gun to take, POF or PWS. If there was any measurable difference between them it would be a no brainer to choose.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got a Leitner-Wise upper with a pinned 14.5" barrel. It's a nice design.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#29]

ARAK-21 is top on my list. Love the fire while folded ability.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I own POF, SIG, LWRC, RUGER, and HK piston carbines. My favorite is the HK MR556 and MR762. Followed by the POF P308 and P 415.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My PWS Mk116 is lighter, better balanced, and less prone to carrier tilt than any short stroke design.  Awesome people in my experience, and I still see first-gen PWS still trucking along every once in a while.  The lightweight is fantastic, and I love how their cutaway gun runs in that promo video.

I had a POF for a while.  Fantastic short stroke platform, I love their heat sink barrel nut, roller cam, triggers, and several other parts upgrades. Only downside is the non-standard rails, and it's heavy as fuck.  I miss it every once in a while.....until I pick up my PWS, which I sold it to fund.

My PWS (old photo coming in a second)

webkit-fake-url://256cff1a-1fae-4cf4-8b39-3de76aff75d7/imagejpeg

webkit-fake-url://dea021cb-bf49-4d21-b60c-5eabbeb0980e/imagejpeg
View Quote
@Seven-Shooter
Why is the PWS LESS prone to carrier tilt than other piston designs?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@Seven-Shooter
View Quote
As it was explained to me, my understanding (which is currently dated) is that because its more of a continual recoil impulse vs. a sharp smack, along with the fact that the piston rod's length/weight help keep the weight/balance of the bolt more forward and less off the back rear part of the bolt that normally needs support/that extra lip on the buffer tube.

PWS rifles still have that lip on the buffer tube anyway, but the engineer at the company with whom I spoke said that it was largely unnecessary for longer barrel models, and was more for FA/SBR applications.  Or that was how I understood it...he used a lot more math and science .

Smarter people than me might be along shortly to explain how that's bullshit....which is fine, I can be wrong.  But I still like my rifle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@Seven-Shooter
View Quote
The PWS is a long-stroke piston vs short-stroke of most other piston uppers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As it was explained to me, my understanding (which is currently dated) is that because its more of a continual recoil impulse vs. a sharp smack, along with the fact that the piston rod's length/weight help keep the weight/balance of the bolt more forward and less off the back rear part of the bolt that normally needs support/that extra lip on the buffer tube.

PWS rifles still have that lip on the buffer tube anyway, but the engineer at the company with whom I spoke said that it was largely unnecessary for longer barrel models, and was more for FA/SBR applications.  Or that was how I understood it...he used a lot more math and science .

Smarter people than me might be along shortly to explain how that's bullshit....which is fine, I can be wrong.  But I still like my rifle.
View Quote
Interesting.........I can agree about the recoil pulse. The balance is awesome and the Mod 2 is even better.
I've seen no tilt in the mod 1 or mod 2. The long stroke is more stable, more resistant to tilt

The LWRCI would be my second choice.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#35]
LMT

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So, what is your favorite, why, and how does it compare to others you've shot? Any problems?
View Quote

To answer your questions:

Favorite = none.
Why = I've owned a few (see below) and they provide ZERO measurable performance improvement over a quality DI gun unless you SBR or suppress it.
How does it compare = see the list I've owned.  They all had varying degrees of reliability and the accuracy was not equal to DI guns of the same "quality".  They also weighed more (harder to drive to the target / quicker to give shooter fatigue) and used proprietary parts.

I was a complete convert to piston ARs a few years ago.  I started collecting pistons and selling DIs.  Eventually I decided to thoroughly test piston guns, and this led to me owning this list (because I couldn't find a piston gun that did anything better than a bone stock $800 Colt 6920):

LWRC M6A1
LWRC M6A2
LWRC M6A3
LWRC M6SL 14.7 P/W
LWRC M6SL 16
LWRC M6IC Basic Enhanced 14.7 P/W
LWRC M6IC Basic Enhanced 16
(2) LWRC M6IC Fluted Enhanced 14.7 P/W
(2) LWRC M6IC Fluted Enhanced 16
(2) POF Puritan
(2) POF Minuteman

I had five piston ARs at one time.  I kept selling or trading them to try different models because once I started pushing them at the range I was disappointed in their performance.  I had duplicates of a couple of models becuase I thought there had to be SOMETHING justifying the cost and hype.  There was not.  Piston ARs are a novelty.  I wouldn't trust a LWRC in a class let alone in a SD situation.  

I had to send guns back to the manufacturers;
I had cases stuck in the chamber so severely I broke cleaning rods beating them out;
I had guns that wouldn't cycle Wolf ammo no matter which gas setting or buffer I used (I don't have a single DI that won't cycle 1000rds of Wolf without a single malfunction ... or cleaning);
I had guns that wouldn't produce 3" groups at 100 yards with quality ammo (using a shooting bag as a rest on a bench);
I had guns that had parts breakages.

In short I found piston guns to be like the Bushmaster ACR....a very neat idea that doesn't work well.  If you want a piston AR for a range toy...rock on!  If you want an AR for anything serious...just buy a BCM, Colt, DD or KAC DI.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Conclusively:

I don't own a single piston AR now...nor will I ever again.  I have a couple of DI guns that are 100% reliable, provide more than adequate accuracy, use standard / commonly available parts.......and........I NEVER CLEAN THEM.

The last statement basically negates the primary argument for owning a piston AR.

BTW:  I shot about 1,400rds of Wolf over the weekend.  No cleaning. No malfunctions.  The DI AR is the only AR option IMO.  (I've owned ARs since 1984 and shoot A LOT of ammo through them....)
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've owned a few and they provide ZERO measurable performance improvement over a quality DI gun unless you SBR or suppress it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what is your favorite, why, and how does it compare to others you've shot? Any problems?

I've owned a few and they provide ZERO measurable performance improvement over a quality DI gun unless you SBR or suppress it.
So....it does have a measurable improvement after all......?

Haters going to hate!!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Conclusively:

I don't own a single piston AR now...nor will I ever again.  I have a couple of DI guns that are 100% reliable, provide more than adequate accuracy, use standard / commonly available parts.......and........I NEVER CLEAN THEM.

The last statement basically negates the primary argument for owning a piston AR.

BTW:  I shot about 1,400rds of Wolf over the weekend.  No cleaning. No malfunctions.  The DI AR is the only AR option IMO.  (I've owned ARs since 1984 and shoot A LOT of ammo through them....)
View Quote
Conclusively:

I go to piston AR Forums not because I enjoy pistons AR's, but just to shit on everyone in it......
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So....it does have a measurable improvement after all......?

Haters going to hate!!!!
View Quote
Yes - if you want a SBR or can.

No - if you don't want NFA items.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Conclusively:

I go to piston AR Forums not because I enjoy pistons AR's, but just to shit on everyone in it......
View Quote
To share experience that was very expensive.

I forgot ... the errornet is the place we go to feel better about bad choices ... not to share info and learn from others.

My apologies.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#42]
To the crowd out there who screams "Impeccable DI reliability!"

Have you ever ran a suppressed DI AR in sub 0 temps at high round counts? A DI will lock up and not function before a properly built piston gun every time.

Have fun with that shit. Not everyone shoots when it's above 70* and sunny.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Conclusively:

View Quote
Congratulations........that is an awesome accomplishment.

I am happy that you are happy with your happy DI rifle and its accomplishment of firing Wolf over a weekend.

You are to be commended.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Have you ever ran a suppressed DI AR in sub 0 temps at high round counts? A DI will lock up and not function before a properly built piston gun every time.

Have fun with that shit. Not everyone shoots when it's above 70* and sunny.
View Quote
No, I don't own a 5.56 suppressor.  I have fired DI suppressed ARs and based upon the gas-in-the-face and filthy upper I would only suppress a piston gun (hence my original comment about SBRs and suppressors).  I'm not a piston hater - I have SCARS (originally designed to be a piston).  My piston AR experience is similar to my Para FAL experience.  When you change something, rather fundamentally, about the way a successful design works...some times bad things happen.  My piston AR experience didn't warrant continuing to own them.  Overall, they were less reliable than my "non suppressed" / "non SBR" DI ARs.

Yes, I have used DI and Piston ARs in less than optimal weather: rain, sleet / freezing rain, snow, single digit temps, sub-0 windchill, etc.  The only thing I noticed (again - not a suppressed weapon) was the gun felt a little sluggish.  It still functioned 100%.  Me, on the other hand, I was very sluggish.  I've also used both types in extreme heat.  It was 97F yesterday.

There always seems to be a "try your DI suppressed argument" used when discussing piston guns.  I specifically stated my original comments did not apply to suppressed or short barreled guns. There was a reason for this comment.  I agree a piston gun is more desirable for suppressed and SBR applications.

Do I need to say this again or has it been firmly established?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://s1.postimg.org/i4zvemr4f/IMG_1034.jpg
View Quote

For the "suppressed!!!!!" crowd - I quoted the OP.

Unless I missed something ... he asked about our favorite piston guns, why and how does it compare to the others.  I did not see any reference to a suppressor?

I'm sorry you don't like that I shared my experience (and it doesn't support your favoritism toward piston ARs).  He asked.  I answered.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Congratulations........that is an awesome accomplishment.

I am happy that you are happy with your happy DI rifle and its accomplishment of firing Wolf over a weekend.

You are to be commended.
View Quote
I didn't mean for this comment to sound like I was bragging.  It was only to illustrate that I actually shoot my guns.

Hope the round count post didn't come off as boastful. I find it helpful to understand a person's exposure level when discussing gun topics. I only meant to establish that I'm a frequent shooter.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, I don't own a 5.56 suppressor.  I have fired DI suppressed ARs and based upon the gas-in-the-face and filthy upper I would only suppress a piston gun (hence my original comment about SBRs and suppressors).  I'm not a piston hater - I have SCARS (originally designed to be a piston).  My piston AR experience is similar to my Para FAL experience.  When you change something, rather fundamentally, about the way a successful design works...some times bad things happen.  My piston AR experience didn't warrant continuing to own them.  Overall, they were less reliable than my "non suppressed" / "non SBR" DI ARs.

Yes, I have used DI and Piston ARs in less than optimal weather: rain, sleet / freezing rain, snow, single digit temps, sub-0 windchill, etc.  The only thing I noticed (again - not a suppressed weapon) was the gun felt a little sluggish.  It still functioned 100%.  Me, on the other hand, I was very sluggish.  I've also used both types in extreme heat.  It was 97F yesterday.

There always seems to be a "try your DI suppressed argument" used when discussing piston guns.  I specifically stated my original comments did not apply to suppressed or short barreled guns. There was a reason for this comment.  I agree a piston gun is more desirable for suppressed and SBR applications.

Do I need to say this again or has it been firmly established?
View Quote
After having owned and used in high suppressed round counts a SCAR, PWS and LWRC piston systems, they all get filthy. The filth is coming back from the chamber, as it's the path of least resistance. DI or piston, you throw a can on it and it is going to become a filthy running machine. One of the only major perks to the piston setups is they usually come with an adjustable gas system, which permits you to reduce the cyclic rate back down and not make it over-gassed. This isn't exclusive to the pistons though as you can get adjustable DI gas blocks or adjustable carriers.

On topic with the OP though, my favorite of the overall package piston AR designs is the LWRC design. The fit/finish is by far the best and the balance isn't bad at all, when you get the fluted barrel. I also like that the gas system adjustment can be done by hand on the fly and you can service the piston with the greatest of ease.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I didn't mean for this comment to sound like I was bragging.  It was only to illustrate that I actually shoot my guns.

Hope the round count post didn't come off as boastful. I find it helpful to understand a person's exposure level when discussing gun topics. I only meant to establish that I'm a frequent shooter.
View Quote
Seems my post came off as a bit sarcastic.

No harm no foul.....love to see someone shooting more than 50 rounds in a weekend
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Seems my post came off as a bit sarcastic.

No harm no foul.....love to see someone shooting more than 50 rounds in a weekend
View Quote
Not at all.  I thought I understood your meaning, but it can be hard to discern emotion from the interwebs.

I totally agree with you.  More shooting = better shooting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top