Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2013 4:21:50 PM EDT
I'm heavily invested in 5.45 so it only makes sense to get a 5.45 upper.  I'm leaning towards the Huldra but I have a few questions.

1. Cleaning. How easy are they to clean after shooting corrosive ammo?

2. Reliability. Overall, how reliable are these uppers?

I know that DI is a proven system but i also primarily shoot 7N6 so there is a question about dumping that through the DI system. Its not a major issue as I'm use to tearing down and cleaning my AK.

My biggest concern if I pull the trigger (so to speak) will I regret building a 5.45 AR.  Given ammo prices, I don't want to get back into 5.56 but I do love the AR platform.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly it took me longer to clean my huldra 5.45 upper. The corrosive ammo means you have to use ballistol or boiling water to clean it. Google corrosive ammo and cleaning if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Pouring the hot water over everything then cleaning as I would a DI gun just took more time. Caveat:  I clean everything meticulously including the piston every time I shoot. The parts were cleaner absolutely but when the ammo is corrosive I try to get all that crap out and protect my expensive upper.

I had issues with my upper the first trip to the range but suspect its the magazine.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
with a melonite coating on everything you really don't have to bee too anal about it. I have a DI and a Piston that I shoot 7n6 out of and have left them each for probably two weeks after shooting without every looking at them again and no issues what so ever. Yes the corrosive stuff can be a problem, but not nearly as much as its made out to be.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen anyone that had qualms with the Adams Arms ne' Huldra 5.45 upper or cleaning.
Appears when they design this, they knew it would be shooting corrosive / low quality (by US standard) ammunition

One of the Huldra guys checks this portion of the board as does someone from Adams.
I would say buy with confidence and report back on your experience.

Edit: Huldra is having a sale on the 5.45. May be a good time to hit the "buy" button.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is this "Huldra sale"? The website shows the 5.45 upper out of stock and doesn't seems any cheaper than it normally is. (Huldra site links to Fleetfarm).

Edit: ok the 5.56 is on sale but not the 5.45 upper.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where is this "Huldra sale"? The website shows the 5.45 upper out of stock and doesn't seems any cheaper than it normally is. (Huldra site links to Fleetfarm).

View Quote

Ughhh...
I looked too quickly. Yes, it was the 556 entry level model on sale.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been using my AA 5.45 for about 2 years now without an issue or major issue.  It did take a little shooting to break it in properly to get it functioning on Wolf ammo but, never an issue with 7N6.  Cleaning is way easier than my DI guns and a lot faster.  I've been using Frog Lube and found cleaning was even faster as a majorty of the bolt cleaning just wiped off.  Hot water is not necessary to clean and good old tap water will do fine.  You can spray it down with windex too and clean as normal.  I did a lot of reading on cleaning the AR with corrosive ammo prior to buying mine.  I noticded a lot of people who use water and have found rust don't do anything to properly dry or remove the water.  Then they blame the ammo for the rust.  My trick if I cannot use the air gun from my compressor is to let it air or shake dry then spray it with WD40.  This pushes out the water from under the gas block and other tight spaces you can't reach. Then clean as a normal gun and that's it.  About 3 months ago I changed to a free float rail and the barrel nut and gas block was rust free.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ughhh...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ughhh...

Ain't that a bitch, I bought the 5.56 3 weeks ago at the 599 price. 25 bucks is a couple boxes of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ain't that a bitch, I bought the 5.56 3 weeks ago at the 599 price. 25 bucks is a couple boxes of ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ughhh...

:)
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/626098_Quality_components_while_NOT_paying_for_a_name_.html
Quoted:
I only pay a premium for QUALITY and almost never for brand unless I'm building along a specific thematic line where brand is critical to the execution and final product.
Brand and Quality are mutually exclusive. There are many examples where businesses leverage their brand to charge higher prices for like quality, or worse, keep prices the same while subtly reducing the quality because their brand can support higher prices.

My general procurement decision tree is pretty simple.

(A) Is the part proprietary? [ Yes / No ]
     - If No, find a suitable alternative of equal quality/grade at less cost.
     - If Yes, go to (B).  

(B) Is the part manufactured by the brand? [ Yes / No ]
     - If No, find the manufacturer / supplier and go to (C)  
     - If Yes, buy the part at the least cost possible.

(C) Does the manufacturing subcontractor / supplier sell the part under their own brand or is allowed to sell a generic equivalent? [ Yes / No ]
     - If No, go to (B) and purchase.
     - If Yes, is the part less expensive than (B)? [ Yes / No ]

(D)  - If B > C, buy the part from (C)
            - If C > B, buy the part from (B)

And NEVER be afraid to ask, "Hey, are there any sales in the near future or discounts available?"
You would be surprised how much money people leave on the table over time by not asking this very simple 3 second question. It has become habit for me
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Corrosive ammo does NOT require Ballistol and boiling water to clean.  It requires hot, soapy water, some elbow grease, and attention to detail.  Hot water evaporates quickly, which is why you use it, and how do you get hot water in the field?  Boil it.  At home, you don't need anything but very hot tap water  The soap helps break down the crud while the water dissolves the salts left by corrosive primers.  After making sure you've gotten all of the barrel and gas system, you use standard cleaning materials to finish cleaning the gun.

Since Huldra uses all Melonited parts, you will probably not need to work very hard at cleaning the upper.  Melonited surfaces are very smooth and stuff just doesn't stick to them the way it can to other, non-treated surfaces.  I would still use hot, soapy water, but the scrubbing part is probably going to be minimal at worst.

A lot of people forget that they also should pay attention to their lower when firing corrosive ammo in an AR.  For that, I'd use something like Slip 2000's 725 cleaner/degreaser, because it's water based.  Just spray a bunch of it into the FCG section and swish it around with a toothbrush, then spray again to "rinse."  It really does degrease VERY well, so you need to re-lube everything afterward, but that's part of cleaning too.

Who has Huldra uppers in stock?  I haven't seen them available lately...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Fleet Farm sent me an auto e-mail yesterday saying they were in stock; not yet available on the web site, so check tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys spend a lot more time cleaning your uppers than I do.  I take about 5 min in the field after shooting, quick cheap and easy.  Main goal is to just wash out the salts.  Every few spam cans or so I do a ultra sonic cleaning but otherwise no issues with my field cleaning procedure on my 545 upper or my ak74.  Several, several thousand rounds through my upper in the name of "product testing" .

Dave
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top